ADVERTISEMENT

Running back by committee needs to stop…

Our line sucks. If we only use 1-2 backs they are at greater risk of injury. Got to keep them fresh. Unlike qb where we only need 1.

Add that to the long list of coaching blunders on offense.

Make Kaleb Johnson your featured back, Leshon at #2 to spell him when needed, and give Gavin Williams the Alex Padilla treatment.

I am fine with Kaleb and Leshon getting about equal series and of course each series unfolds a little differently so the number of carries will fall as they may. Leshon has been getting a pretty good YPC avg as well but Kaleb does seem to be the home run hitter and maybe a little better vision to hit the hole and go.

That's the way it's been since the years we couldn't keep any running backs healthy. They try to spread the wear and tear around. It seems to have lowered the number of injuries to our running backs significantly, but the trade off is we haven't had the dominant running back we've had in the past since this started. I'm not sure if that's because of the players or the offensive line not being as good. Probably a bit of both.

Gavin Williams had four carries against Illinois, zero against Michigan.

But, sure - let's bash the coaches about it.

:rolleyes:
He should have been benched for the 4-5 boneheaded plays he made against Illinois but he was in on the last two drives. I really don’t get that decision whomever made it. Gavin was lost in that game.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
He should have been benched for the 4-5 boneheaded plays he made against Illinois but he was in on the last two drives. I really don’t get that decision whomever made it. Gavin was lost in that game.
He did block well. That was it, he screwed up about everything else. I think the coaches are trying to help him get his confidence back but not sure it's working. Every time he has been in for a run the blocking has been crap. That won't do it.

Our line sucks. If we only use 1-2 backs they are at greater risk of injury. Got to keep them fresh. Unlike qb where we only need 1.
Makes sense. I saw an Interview with Brian where, when asked why Padilla doesn't get snaps and he responded with "See. This is why I make the big bucks and you're you. Padilla is our top backup. What if we put him in and he gets injured. Who's our backup then tough guy?"

Makes sense. I saw an Interview with Brian where, when asked why Padilla doesn't get snaps and he responded with "See. This is why I make the big bucks and you're you. Padilla is our top backup. What if we put him in and he gets injured. Who's our backup then tough guy?"
Exactly!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT