ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Karoly decommitts from northwestern.

giphy.gif

Any ties to cassioppi?

Why are you saying Iowa is out?

I'm open to all options," Karoly said. "I'm interested in looking at UVA, Cornell, Penn, UNC, Ohio State and maybe a couple others."

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
From his list of schools, seems like academics are a major factor (I guess Ohio St gets a pass, no offense).

For the sake of conversation, what are the key differences between Hidlay, Karoly, and Brooks in terms of style and NCAA potential?

Reactions: slushhead
I posted here about two months ago now that he was a very soft verbal to Northwestern and would not be surprised if he flipped to another school. I really wish I wasn't right. Unfortunately, that is the status of the Wildcat program right now and I can't blame a recruit for not wanted to jump on board. The school itself still has superb academics and the program was able to offer full rides to all of the quality recruits interested, but the handling of the previous coaching staff was an absolute disaster and going to take awhile to recover from.

I wish Karoly well and I simply hope he does not end up at PSU with Beard.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
I posted here about two months ago now that he was a very soft verbal to Northwestern and would not be surprised if he flipped to another school. I really wish I wasn't right. Unfortunately, that is the status of the Wildcat program right now and I can't blame a recruit for not wanted to jump on board. The school itself still has superb academics and the program was able to offer full rides to all of the quality recruits interested, but the handling of the previous coaching staff was an absolute disaster and going to take awhile to recover from.

Unfortunate for NW, they had a pretty killer 2018 recruiting class until it was poached to hell. :oops:

#4 Beard (PSU)
#21 Karoly (TBD)
#28 Cassioppi (Iowa)
#35 Jessen

Reactions: 24 so far
From his list of schools, seems like academics are a major factor (I guess Ohio St gets a pass, no offense).

For the sake of conversation, what are the key differences between Hidlay, Karoly, and Brooks in terms of style and NCAA potential?

Karoly is an extremely defensive wrestler. Wrestles close matches and is tough to score on, but knows how to win.

Hidlay is pretty slick on his feet and more offensive than Karoly. He's got solid AA potential in college.

Brooks has the most offensive style of all 3. He has monster NCAA potential IMO. He is a thrower, a risk taker, and an all around gambler which I love. Kid is going to be good.

Karoly is an extremely defensive wrestler. Wrestles close matches and is tough to score on, but knows how to win.

Hidlay is pretty slick on his feet and more offensive than Karoly. He's got solid AA potential in college.

Brooks has the most offensive style of all 3. He has monster NCAA potential IMO. He is a thrower, a risk taker, and an all around gambler which I love. Kid is going to be good.
So
Karoly=Myles Martin
Hidlay=Sam Brooks
Brooks=Bo Nickal
?

Reactions: usarmyret2011

Are multiple kids really walking away from full rides to Northwestern?

Reactions: dicemen99
Or are all these decommitts discovering that they really aren't academically ready for Northwestern.

So
Karoly=Myles Martin
Hidlay=Sam Brooks
Brooks=Bo Nickal
?

A. Brooks/Nickal comparison is fairly accurate in my mind although Brooks is a better freestyler now than Nickal was at his age.

Karoly will be nowhere near as good as Martin in my opinion. I see him as a Mike Ottinger (Central Michigan) type who is always top 15, wrestles close matches, and maybe AA's once.

Hidlay/S. Brooks is a reasonable comparison as well. I would say that compared to Brooks at his age, he is more well developed from neutral at this point in his career.

Reactions: dunkej01
Unfortunate for NW, they had a pretty killer 2018 recruiting class until it was poached to hell. :oops:

#4 Beard (PSU)
#21 Karoly (TBD)
#28 Cassioppi (Iowa)
#35 Jessen
How can a Northwestern get recruits like this when their program has pretty much always sucked? Serious question ... (Now, of course, one can't argue everything NW has to offer on the academic front) ....

How can a Northwestern get recruits like this when their program has pretty much always sucked? Serious question ... (Now, of course, one can't argue everything NW has to offer on the academic front) ....
If you do not live eat and breathe wrestling and do not live under the delusional belief that you can make an olympic team (it is delusional for the vast majority of us), then NW is a great place to go to school. They have had a decent number of NCAA champs and AAs and all the kids step into the world ready to make some big bucks. They have taken a serious hit the last couple years, but Pariano had them being a respectable team.

If you do not live eat and breathe wrestling and do not live under the delusional belief that you can make an olympic team (it is delusional for the vast majority of us), then NW is a great place to go to school. They have had a decent number of NCAA champs and AAs and all the kids step into the world ready to make some big bucks. They have taken a serious hit the last couple years, but Pariano had them being a respectable team.
They've even had a guy make an Olympic team and win a world silver medal.

Are multiple kids really walking away from full rides to Northwestern?

Yes. That is the unfortunate reality right now. After your son's class of 2015, recruiting at Northwestern took a dramatic turn. The 2014 class was hyped more than any other class that I can remember. For good reason too with 3 wrestlers in the top 17 P4P. However, that was under Coach Pariano, who excelled in the recruiting department. Obviously, we had a major shake up in the coaching department and with that saw an exodus of talented wrestlers who were taking up or had part of the 9.9 committed to them (Tsirtsis, Brill [medical], Micic, Reagan, Schmitt [medical], Beard, Cassioppi, and Karoly), in additional to the normal attrition because of graduating Seniors and expiring eligibility. I like Coach Storniolo and believe he is moving in the right direction. He stepped into a difficult situation and lost much of the momentum built up by Coach Pariano and that amazing recruiting class of 2014. That class had everyone affliated with the program so excited that Northwestern was on the verge of taking that next step to become an elite program, following a plan similiar to Cornell was the hope. Now, obviously the program took a few steps back and has to rejuvenate the support Drew had rolling. I have hope. Even though I am still not over the administration's handling of the Coach Pariano situation.

They do have some particular disadvantages unique to them. Of course everyone knows the academic requirements are some of the toughest in the country and limit the type of athlete they can recruit.

In addition to the academic rigor, Northwestern also has a roster limit of 22 placed upon the program by the administration.

They also have some unique limitations as far as the scafolding of different funding sources of scholarships and aid, such as not being allowed to use certain types of academic schlorships in conjucture with athletic scholarship monies. In some rare cases it is actually a benefit as some of their student athletes are on strictly academic scholarship aid and take up zero of the athletic scholarship total for their program. However, normally it is yet another obstacle to forming a competitive financial package to offer a potential recruit.

Reactions: el dub

2014 class had:
#3 Brill
#11 Sebastian
#17 Micic

And the 2015 class had the top ranked heavyweight in the country and #18 overall Chakonis as a recruit.

Plus, remember Northwestern signed the #1 overall recruit in 2012 in Tsirtsis, who won an NCAA Championship as a Freshmen.

2014 class had:
#3 Brill
#11 Sebastian
#17 Micic

And the 2015 class had the top ranked heavyweight in the country and #18 overall Chakonis as a recruit.

Plus, remember Northwestern signed the #1 overall recruit in 2012 in Tsirtsis, who won an NCAA Championship as a Freshmen.
Sad story with brill, he would of been challenging for titles if he stayed healthy. one of the best high school wrestlers in Illinois ever.

Pariano was an outstanding coach! He was probably a top 2-3 recruiter in the nation. I am hopeful they are on the right path. I can see a couple AAs this year along with a top 20-25 placing at NCAAs. (Jennings,49,25 are pretty dam solid. So is Sebastian and 84.

Reactions: JustWrestle133
Or are all these decommitts discovering that they really aren't academically ready for Northwestern.

Storniolo's recent tweet, based on timing, suggests it was grades IMO. If I was smart enough to attach the tweet I would.

I think Karoly will be a decent not great D1 wrestler. He has trouble getting takedowns against high school kids, and that typically doesn't translate overly well to D1. I do think that Mike Ottinger is a fair comparison. Also reminds me a little of Eric Morris from Wyoming Seminary that ended up going to Harvard, and not doing anything.

Reactions: PA Power

I saw the list and thought, "One of these schools is not like the others, one of these schools does not belong . . ."

IMO the landscape has changed significantly in wrestling. The top HS wrestlers tend to get that way because their parents have been spending thousands of dollars on clubs, camps, and private lessons since they were little kids. It's a skill based sport, so the training pays off tremendously.

Of course, that means the average demographic is becoming wealthy kids from good families; which means a lot of them view wrestling not so much as a way to pay for college as a way to get them into a top academic school. The Rec program that I coached for several years has three kids wrestling D1 today. Princeton, Bucknell, and UPenn. Their dads are a corporate attorney, financial advisor, and hedge fund manager.

So I'm not surprised that NW gets good recruits.

IMO the landscape has changed significantly in wrestling. The top HS wrestlers tend to get that way because their parents have been spending thousands of dollars on clubs, camps, and private lessons since they were little kids. It's a skill based sport, so the training pays off tremendously.

Of course, that means the average demographic is becoming wealthy kids from good families; which means a lot of them view wrestling not so much as a way to pay for college as a way to get them into a top academic school. The Rec program that I coached for several years has three kids wrestling D1 today. Princeton, Bucknell, and UPenn. Their dads are a corporate attorney, financial advisor, and hedge fund manager.

So I'm not surprised that NW gets good recruits.
Great perspective. Thanks for sharing your experience ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT