ADVERTISEMENT

Sad/Saddish Songs Thread

I consider it one of the best written break up/addiction/despair songs ever.

Jason is a lyrical genius

Reactions: AD1515

A forthcoming single by the Hooters was written after one of the band members read an article about three Quakertown teens who committed suicide. The song, "Where Do The Children Go" is to be the next release from the rock band's debut Columbia LP, "Nervous Night."
Eric Bazilian, co-songwriter with Rob Hyman for most of the Philadelphia group's material, said "an article about teen-age suicide in Quakertown" stimulated him to write the ballad. "The lyric opened up to include the theme of childhood loss of innocence. It's a song with different meanings," Bazilian said.
Michelle E. Qurashi's body was found on Jan. 28, 1984, near a rural road in Richland Township with a gunshot wound of the chest. The 16-year-old had been despondent over the death of her boyfriend, Marc Landis, 17, who, along with another Quakertown Community High School student, Daniel Furdock, 16, jumped to their deaths Nov. 19, 1983 into an East Rockhill Township quarry.

The saddest song ever...

The original:

In English:

Gloomy is Sunday,
My hours are slumberless
Dearest the shadows
I live with are numberless
Little white flowers
Will never awaken you
Not where the black coach of
Sorrow has taken you
Angels have no thought
Of ever returning you,
Would they be angry
If I thought of joining you?

Gloomy Sunday

Gloomy is Sunday,
With shadows I spend it all
My heart and I
Have decided to end it all
Soon there'll be candles
And prayers that are sad I know
Let them not weep
Let them know that I'm glad to go
Death is no dream
For in death I'm caressing you
With the last breath of my soul
I'll be blessing you

Gloomy Sunday

From the Wiki:

"Press reports in the 1930s associated at least 100 suicides, both in Hungary and the United States, with "Gloomy Sunday", but most of the deaths supposedly linked to it are difficult to verify. The urban legend appears to be, for the most part, simply an embellishment of the high number of Hungarian suicides that occurred in the decade when the song was composed due to other factors such as famine and poverty. No studies have drawn a clear link between the song and suicide.

On 11 January 1968, about 35 years after writing the song, its composer took his own life."

I see your eyes drifting, drifting
I'm really not that naïve
You wear a smile but it's drifting, drifting
While I wear my heart on my sleeve
I feel your coldness against my skin
I know what follows the autumn wind
And though you say your heart isn't drifting, drifting
The words simply don't ring true
You're drifting and I'm losing you

I like me some Parisian streetscapes but daaang ... add in French composer Erik Satie and it's downright morose. So with that endorsement :) here ya go ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT