ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Stoll - #1 Ranking???

U must have missed the part where I told the person they were wrong and that Gable would indeed be a Gopher.

It is very likely that Gable goes right out the gate. An injury would be the only possible scenario I could see causing him to redshirt.
After what we saw from Spencer and Yianni this year, I have a hard time believing that these "once-in-a-class"-type kids are going to be redshirting very often anymore. They're so obviously ready to go when they are achieving that much at nationals and worlds in HS......a lá Pico.

Still very surprised that Fix agreed to a redshirt....maybe an injury played a part.

I still think the roster plays a part. With who OKST had down low it made sense to RS and stretch out the eligibility. Even if Fix is the best guy, the others are still AA’s

I still think the roster plays a part. With who OKST had down low it made sense to RS and stretch out the eligibility. Even if Fix is the best guy, the others are still AA’s
Except they all weren't!

I realize you can't always predict how the season plays out, but if Smith had to do it over again, that lineup would have looked vastly different.

Reactions: el dub and Dagboi
Except they all weren't!

I realize you can't always predict how the season plays out, but if Smith had to do it over again, that lineup would have looked vastly different.

125-141 of the OKST starting lineup all had an AA to their resume entering this season. Thus making them all All Americans.

Reactions: 24 so far
125-141 of the OKST starting lineup all had an AA to their resume entering this season. Thus making them all All Americans.
You are absolutely correct, but you need to dig deeper to understand a wrestler like NickP @ 125. He had no significant wins this season. I am too lazy to look, but I remember him beating Moisey and that would be his signature win? He was serviceable but not a guy that scores much @ Nationals. Heil wasn't a scoring machine and wasn't getting them any bonus. Brock can't get out from bottom.

Smith needed Fix in the lineup and didn't pull the trigger. Maybe OSU returns to the top ten next year. Fact is this... the landscape is changing and new wrestling powers are emerging. If an elite hs kid is ready the day he hits campus... you wrestle him. I'll add... regarding your Gophs... If lil McKee and Lee are the best at their weights next season... you add them to GS and go.

Reactions: Dagboi
I understand your point. Unfortunately you don’t know that Pic and Dean fail to AA until the season is over. They were seeded 6,4,6. Smith knows even with Fix they weren’t winning a team title this season.

I understand your point. Unfortunately you don’t know that Pic and Dean fail to AA until the season is over. They were seeded 6,4,6. Smith knows even with Fix they weren’t winning a team title this season.
Not to be argumentative, shocking I know, but how do you feel about the other two good freshmen going right away for Minny ?

Reactions: Nahf
Not to be argumentative, shocking I know, but how do you feel about the other two good freshmen going right away for Minny ?

Personally I would punt the year and redshirt them, but I understand letting them go right away as well. Either way we don’t contend next year. Maybe if we get a couple guys to step up we could get a team trophy but no guarantee. So I would look to the future, but it is important to gain some momentum as well. Tough call.

Reactions: MitchL

I like the idea of going with the best lineup and not worrying about redshirts. Those can come in handy later on for various reasons. I would redshirt Mitch McKee even if his younger brother starts. Gable for sure is starting. I don't think Eggum has any job security issues but he needs to start seeing some immediate results to keep high end recruits committing to the U. If they start some of the incoming studs and they perform well, it would do wonders towards getting us back to top 5 status. I'd like to hear your objective thoughts on what you would do with the lineup.

I like the idea of going with the best lineup and not worrying about redshirts. Those can come in handy later on for various reasons. I would redshirt Mitch McKee even if his younger brother starts. Gable for sure is starting. I don't think Eggum has any job security issues but he needs to start seeing some immediate results to keep high end recruits committing to the U. If they start some of the incoming studs and they perform well, it would do wonders towards getting us back to top 5 status. I'd like to hear your objective thoughts on what you would do with the lineup.
Another time. The thread title is "Stoll".

After what we saw from Spencer and Yianni this year, I have a hard time believing that these "once-in-a-class"-type kids are going to be redshirting very often anymore. They're so obviously ready to go when they are achieving that much at nationals and worlds in HS......a lá Pico.

Still very surprised that Fix agreed to a redshirt....maybe an injury played a part.

Wondered about Fix as well. Fix beat Tomasello 2 straight matches last fall in FS for U23 World team trials. Maybe Smith figured Pic was going to be a contender already, so saving Fix?

U must have missed the part where I told the person they were wrong and that Gable would indeed be a Gopher.

It is very likely that Gable goes right out the gate. An injury would be the only possible scenario I could see causing him to redshirt.

Depends on his personal plan but Minny will not be good next year with or without him.

Reactions: el dub
I like Sam stills chances this year. As for GS he is a stud. But just saying the first time Sam starts cranking on his shoulder will change his mind about being under Sam.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT