ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State preview/predictions

The-Dude-Abides

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2023
Some strikes and gutters, ups and downs today against Oregon State, but on to the next one. ISU has dropped 17 straight duals to Iowa, last winning in 2004. This could be their best chance in years to knock out the Hawks, which would obviously piss us all off a great deal.

Rankings per Intermat.

#8 Iowa vs. # 10 Iowa State

125: #11 Ayala vs. #17 Kysen Terukina. Terukina majored Eric #6 Barnett today, which was surprising, and Drake looked off this afternoon. I'm gonna say today's loss motivates Drake to bounce back and win by decision. Hawks 3-0.

133: #9 Teske vs. #18 Evan Frost. I like Teske by a comfortable decision. Hawks 6-0.

141: #1 Woods vs. #15 (at 149) Anthony Echemendia. I think Real is able to get to his legs and maybe a turn. Real by decision. Hawks 9-0.

149: # 9 VV vs. Casey Swiderski (NR by Intermat, Flo has him at #13). Swid beat #14 Zargo pretty handily today and can be hard to score on. VV needs to clean up his finishes to win this one. I'm going with Swid in a close decision. Hawks 9-3.

157: #2 Franek vs. #19 Cody Chittum. Hilton could be salty in this one after Chittum decommitted from Iowa. I think Franek controls this match as a savvy veteran, wins by decision. Hawks 12-3.

165: #5 Caliendo vs. #2 David Carr. Carr is just on a different tier, wins by decision. Hawks 12-6.

174: NR Arnold vs. #22 MJ Gaitan. Assuming Gabe goes again, I like him to control this match from neutral and push to get the major. Hawks 16-6.

184: #29 Stafford vs. #5 Will Feldkamp. Will need something big to pull this match out. Feldkamp by major, Hawks 16-10.

197: #23 Glazier vs. #25 Julien Broderson. This will be a big one. Think Glazier gets a TD late to seal it in a gritty decision. Hawks 19-10.

Heavy: NR Hill vs. #7 Yonger Bastida. Mismatch here, but I'm gonna say Hill is able to keep it to a major. Wouldn't matter for the dual if the previous go as above. Hawks win 19-14.

Not much room for error, and we almost have to have wins at 25, 33, 74, and 97. I will not be going, as I can't stand that stinking place and its fans.

Some strikes and gutters, ups and downs today against Oregon State, but on to the next one. ISU has dropped 17 straight duals to Iowa, last winning in 2004. This could be their best chance in years to knock out the Hawks, which would obviously piss us all off a great deal.

Rankings per Intermat.

125: #11 Ayala vs. #17 Kysen Terukina. Terukina majored Eric #6 Barnett today, which was surprising, and Drake looked off this afternoon. I'm gonna say today's loss motivates Drake to bounce back and win by decision. Hawks 3-0.

133: #9 Teske vs. #18 Evan Frost. I like Teske by a comfortable decision. Hawks 6-0.

141: #1 Woods vs. #15 (at 149) Anthony Echemendia. I think Real is able to get to his legs and maybe a turn. Real by decision. Hawks 9-0.

149: # 9 VV vs. Casey Swiderski (NR by Intermat, Flo has him at #13). Swid beat #14 Zargo pretty handily today and can be hard to score on. VV needs to clean up his finishes to win this one. I'm going with Swid in a close decision. Hawks 9-3.

157: #2 Franek vs. #19 Cody Chittum. Hilton could be salty in this one after Chittum decommitted from Iowa. I think Franek controls this match as a savvy veteran, wins by decision. Hawks 12-3.

165: #5 Caliendo vs. #2 David Carr. Carr is just on a different tier, wins by decision. Hawks 12-6.

174: NR Arnold vs. #22 MJ Gaitan. Assuming Gabe goes again, I like him to control this match from neutral and push to get the major. Hawks 16-6.

184: #29 Stafford vs. #5 Will Feldkamp. Will need something big to pull this match out. Feldkamp by major, Hawks 16-10.

197: #23 Glazier vs. #25 Julien Broderson. This will be a big one. Think Glazier gets a TD late to seal it in a gritty decision. Hawks 19-10.

Heavy: NR Hill vs. #7 Yonger Bastida. Mismatch here, but I'm gonna say Hill is able to keep it to a major. Wouldn't matter for the dual if the previous go as above. Hawks win 19-14.

Not much room for error, and we almost have to have wins at 25, 33, 74, and 97. I will not be going, as I can't stand that stinking place and its fans.

125- got to go with a toss up here based on Ayala today.

133- Teske is favored, could possibly get a major.

141- Real should win, needs to make the top game work for bonus.

149- Swiderski has to be favored based on what VV has shown me.

157- Franek needs to pull this one out. Pretty even match.

165- Carr obviously favored, bonus is a possibility.

174- Gabe is the only guy available who could win and we need it. Gaitan like to throw junk.

184- Feldkamp is a good sized favorite.

197- Toss up match we have to win.

285- ISU big favorites, bonus a possibility.

My expectations are an ISU victory, but any Clone fan that thinks a Clone victory wouldn't be tainted is either a recent bandwagoner or ignorant.

The determining factor will be ISU bonus at 184 and Hwt. imo.
I don't see any Iowa bonus.

The gambling suspensions will be the reason the streak ends.

But what would be hilarious is Iowa winning with their weakest lineup in this century.

25,49,57,74,97 could swing either way. Wish Kueter would go for this one. I think he would at least keep it to a dec.

best case:
25 Ayala dec 3-0
33 Teske MD 7-0
41 woods MD 10-0
49 VV dec 13-0
57 Franek dec 16-0
65 Carr dec 16-3
74 Arnold Dec 19-3
84 Feldkamp dec 19-6
97 Glaizer dec 21-6
285 Yonder MD 21-9 IOWA

Worst case:
25-ISU dec 3-0
33-Teske dec 3-3
41-Woods dec 6-3
49-ISU dec 6-6
57-ISU dec 6-9
65-ISU md 6-13
74-ISU dec 6-16
84-ISU MD 6-20
97-ISU dec 6-23
285-isu TF 6-28 ISU

Most likely:
25 Ayala dec 3-0
33 Teske MD 7-0
41 woods dec 10-0
49 ISU dec 10-3
57 Franek dec 13-3
65 Carr dec 13-6
74 arnold dec 15-6
84 ISU MD 15-10
97 ISU dec 15-13
285 isu Tf 15-18 ISU

My expectations are an ISU victory, but any Clone fan that thinks a Clone victory wouldn't be tainted is either a recent bandwagoner or ignorant.

The determining factor will be ISU bonus at 184 and Hwt. imo.
I don't see any Iowa bonus.

The gambling suspensions will be the reason the streak ends.

But what would be hilarious is Iowa winning with their weakest lineup in this century.
Are we going to use that excuse all year? I love those guys, but they put themselves there. We've got to suck it up and move on. That's behind us, we have to do what we can with what we have. The two Ferraris could help a lot after the break. I hate to see the streak end, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't. That's why I decided to stay home and watch it on TV. It's a long way home from Ames in a bad mood.

25,49,57,74,97 could swing either way. Wish Kueter would go for this one. I think he would at least keep it to a dec.

best case:
25 Ayala dec 3-0
33 Teske MD 7-0
41 woods MD 10-0
49 VV dec 13-0
57 Franek dec 16-0
65 Carr dec 16-3
74 Arnold Dec 19-3
84 Feldkamp dec 19-6
97 Glaizer dec 21-6
285 Yonder MD 21-9 IOWA

Worst case:
25-ISU dec 3-0
33-Teske dec 3-3
41-Woods dec 6-3
49-ISU dec 6-6
57-ISU dec 6-9
65-ISU md 6-13
74-ISU dec 6-16
84-ISU MD 6-20
97-ISU dec 6-23
285-isu TF 6-28 ISU

Most likely:
25 Ayala dec 3-0
33 Teske MD 7-0
41 woods dec 10-0
49 ISU dec 10-3
57 Franek dec 13-3
65 Carr dec 13-6
74 arnold dec 15-6
84 ISU MD 15-10
97 ISU dec 15-13
285 isu Tf 15-18 ISU

Gabe celebrates too much after winning and loses a team point?

If this isn’t the year for isu just drop the series. Both teams will need bonus, I hope the hawks push the pace and use the new 3 pt td to get to bonus when close and not rest for just decisions

Are we going to use that excuse all year? I love those guys, but they put themselves there. We've got to suck it up and move on. That's behind us, we have to do what we can with what we have. The two Ferraris could help a lot after the break. I hate to see the streak end, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't. That's why I decided to stay home and watch it on TV. It's a long way home from Ames in a bad mood.
My statement only pertains to the Iowa vs ISU dual.
With full squads, Iowa wins.

Next season, a new streak starts.

BTW...Hey Clone fans for any of you reading this...a Clone win only happens with Iowa out 4 starters.
Fact !

Last edited:
Reactions: IRONBIRD

BTW...Hey Clone fans for any of you reading this...a Clone win only happens with Iowa out 4 starters.
Fact !
C'mon Mitch, Iowa knew in May they were losing multiple guys and went out and added multiple All Americans to replace the guys caught in the gambling net. They got outbid at 184 and 133, but upgraded at 157 and 165.

There were multiple 285's Iowa could have added this year that would be a better option than what's left, but it didn't happen. TNT had plenty of time, and plenty of resources to put together a team and they didn't get it done.

The Hawks probably still have the 2nd best tournament team out there, no matter what they looked like yesterday.

Reactions: el dub and AFHawk86
C'mon Mitch, Iowa knew in May they were losing multiple guys and went out and added multiple All Americans to replace the guys caught in the gambling net. They got outbid at 184 and 133, but upgraded at 157 and 165.

There were multiple 285's Iowa could have added this year that would be a better option than what's left, but it didn't happen. TNT had plenty of time, and plenty of resources to put together a team and they didn't get it done.

The Hawks probably still have the 2nd best tournament team out there, no matter what they looked like yesterday.
My statement pertains to the fact that they have Kennedy, Brands, Assad, and Cass not wrestling on Sunday.
Granted, Caliendo replaces Kennedy, but are you trying to convince me Iowa isn't favored if the gambling thing never happened?
That's my point...not that TnT didn't try to compensate.

My statement pertains to the fact that they have Kennedy, Brands, Assad, and Cass not wrestling on Sunday.
Granted, Caliendo replaces Kennedy, but are you trying to convince me Iowa isn't favored if the gambling thing never happened?
That's my point...not that TnT didn't try to compensate.
ISU lost a Big 12 champ in it too. Hawks upgraded big time at 157 and by a good margin at 165.

Iowa would be favored if they landed Truax and Nagao, but they didn't. Hawks beat Minnesota except for a shitty call on CDJ's punt return, but they didn't.

Your team is your team.

My biggest point is TNT had plenty of time to overhaul the roster and didn't get it done. If ISU gets a win Sunday, and I think it's going to be a nailbiter just like last year, it falls at TNT's feet because Iowa has plenty to sell with tradition, facilities and a boatload of NIL money that they didn't need to be in this place.

Someone help me out here...Kevin Dresser has been ISU HC for going into his 7th, yes 7th, season.

No top ten finishes at Nattys and has never beaten Iowa. And really, there are maybe a dozen programs in the entire country that are even relevant.
Now...both streaks likely end this year, but how many high profile programs paying the absolute top $$$ that Dresser is earning, would give any coach that kind of long leash?
We should all have that arrangement!

ISU lost a Big 12 champ in it too. Hawks upgraded big time at 157 and by a good margin at 165.

Iowa would be favored if they landed Truax and Nagao, but they didn't. Hawks beat Minnesota except for a shitty call on CDJ's punt return, but they didn't.

Your team is your team.

My biggest point is TNT had plenty of time to overhaul the roster and didn't get it done. If ISU gets a win Sunday, and I think it's going to be a nailbiter just like last year, it falls at TNT's feet because Iowa has plenty to sell with tradition, facilities and a boatload of NIL money that they didn't need to be in this place.
Without knowing for sure...I seriously doubt TnT expected season long penalties.
I think the expectation was 1/2 season and having Brands/Cass back for the post season.
The pursuit of Nagao and Truax was a chase at PSU. And it's a distinct possibility that $$$ wasn't the issue with not getting those two.

Without knowing for sure...I seriously doubt TnT expected season long penalties.
I think the expectation was 1/2 season and having Brands/Cass back for the post season.
The pursuit of Nagao and Truax was a chase at PSU. And it's a distinct possibility that $$$ wasn't the issue with not getting those two.
I guarantee that when news broke about gambling, every coach thought those athletes involved were going to be given the death penalty and never compete again for their respective universities.

Couldn't resist...ventured over to Clone site!

I'm getting called out on their forum. It's like living rent free in their tiny little brains.

Freakin awesome stuff. They seem relatively confident the streak ends Sunday.
I suspect many weren't even born yet the last time ISU won.
Pollard better increase security should the Hawks pull off the upset.

Rankings per Intermat.

Agree mostly. I really think we have the better wrestler at 25, 33, 74, and 97. As you mentioned, very little room for error. Would be nice if Woods could get rolling on top and get a major at least.

Does anyone actually know how starting weight is determined? Flip a coin and whoever wins picks? Can coaches come to an agreement? If not, then draw? 125 is obviously our go-to, gotta think ISU would rather start at 174 or somewhere up top.

Need to sweep the first 5 weights and then get at least 1 at 74 or 97. I see Cyclones getting bonus at hvy and 84. We likely will need at least 1 bonus win from Teske or Woods to offset even with 6 wins on the night.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Well here’s my thoughts if we win 125 we win the dual if we lose 125 we will lose the dual. I really like our chances at 133, 141 and 175. Do Not like our chances at 165, 184 and especially hwt. I still feel pretty good about 149 & 157. 197 is going to be close and could go either way. They will get bonus at 184 and especially hwt. Need to win 6 makes to make up the bonus pts we will give up. Comes down to 125 for me. But that’s where it will start so we need that one! Right now I have it 6-4 and Hawks win.

Does anyone actually know how starting weight is determined? Flip a coin and whoever wins picks? Can coaches come to an agreement? If not, then draw? 125 is obviously our go-to, gotta think ISU would rather start at 174 or somewhere up top.

If both coaches don't agree on the starting weight, they flip a coin.

Reactions: el dub and Grip220

Ahhhh, no

Reactions: GoHawks1996
I just hope our guys have signed up for LifeLock in the event they win their matches, and the coaches have braced their families after seeing the meltdown of some of those ISU fans last time. It's probably a good thing they'll likely win.

Last edited:

Fact !
Not really

Gonna Watch IPT TONIGHT. ? 1986 dual . ISU breaks Iowa's winning street. Don''t think I will.

I think what you posted just points out the total and complete domination of one team over the decades.

It's newsworthy when ISU wins a dual meet vs Iowa because it happens so rarely.

You would have a difficult time finding any rivalry in any sport where one team has been so utterly dominant as the Hawks have been over lil Bro.

Truax said PSU was where he wanted to go out of high school but they had no interest. Nago said he chose them over us because he could develop his religious beliefs there.

• Haha
Reactions: USPMAN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT