ADVERTISEMENT

Sanders to ISU

There are numerous factors that go into making a college decision each unique to the prospective student. Campus and city is indeed one of those but so are preferred major/program, proximity to home, friends/family at school, size of school, clubs/organizations/greek life. For student athletes the list of factors is much longer with additional considerations like playing time, development, relationship with coaches, team travel proximity to family, facilities, culture, winning games. Each student or student athlete will value and perceive these things differently. These debates over Ames being a craphole and Iowa not having a campus are silly and both untrue in their own right.

Agree, this is dumb. Both campuses are nice, we have our preferences, let's move on. Sanders is a good pick up for ISU, would have been nice for Iowa to get for depth, but in no way shape or form is this some sort of big loss being he is ranked behind 12 of our 17 recruits at 656th. I see why ISU fans are pumped about it though, as he is their second highest rated recruit. Meanwhile Iowa beat out ISU for Liddle, Pittman, Bruce, Llewyellyn, Johnson, Stephens, Colby, and Davidkov who are all ranked higher. Also beat them out for Bowie, Brecht, and Twedt all ranked lower. I would imagine boasting about this, would be similar to pretending that ISU beat Iowa by forfeit this year. Not just pretending, but celebrating about this pretend victory. Weird A$$ fanbase. Could anyone imagine going over to LSU's site and rubbing it in that we beat them out for Stephens, as they sit in 5th place for team recruiting rankings.

Another item: picking where you want to go to college is not the same as picking where you want to live your adult life. For example many adults who work in Ames prefer to live in places like Ankeny for better housing options and amenities, that doesn't mean Ames is a bad place to be a student. On the other hand i lived in Minneapolis for several years post grad and loved it, but that is not a place i think i would have enjoyed being a college student at UM.

Another item: picking where you want to go to college is not the same as picking where you want to live your adult life. For example many adults who work in Ames prefer to live in places like Ankeny for better housing options and amenities, that doesn't mean Ames is a bad place to be a student. On the other hand i lived in Minneapolis for several years post grad and loved it, but that is not a place i think i would have enjoyed being a college student at UM.
I went to ISU because I wanted to major in aerospace engineering. If I had known I was going to end up majoring in journalism, I almost certainly would have gone to Iowa. And would probably be arguing the opposite of every topic on this board.

Reactions: Im4Iowa
I went to ISU because I wanted to major in aerospace engineering. If I had known I was going to end up majoring in journalism, I almost certainly would have gone to Iowa. And would probably be arguing the opposite of every topic on this board.
Funny, I have a family member in a different state that went a fairly prestigious school for journalism and walked out 6.5 years later with a degree in electrical engineering.

Funny, I have a family member in a different state that went a fairly prestigious school for journalism and walked out 6.5 years later with a degree in electrical engineering.
What's really ironic is that although the UI j-school had a great reputation at the time, it pretty much sucked. Lost its accreditation shortly after granting me a degree.......although I don't think that was the reason.

Reactions: 24 so far
Staff expected that, why else would they be offering other running backs over the past week. No comparison between Iowa City and Lames, hard to believe he visited both schools on his own and couldn't see a difference.

Next man in.
Which school has put RB's into the NFL that have made an impact?

Nope - records aren't close. But hey Coe has one in the NFL that has done as well.
Greene averaged 4.1 YPC in his NFL career, Montgomery so far is averaging 4.0 YPC. Greene had two 1000 yard seasons, Montgomery has one. Betts also had a good NFL career. Do some research. I don't really think a recruit is looking at either school as a RB factory, but geez guy. If this was the logic behind every decision, everyone would be going to Fresno St to be just like Devante Adams. Sanders went to ISU because the playing time is there, and I don't blame him. With Lang and Nwangwu leaving this year, and Hall likely to go after next, his only competition is Brock. That's a really good situation in his Freshman year. IKM and Goodson both have two years left, and then we have the Williams'.

Reactions: David1979
Nope - records aren't close. But hey Coe has one in the NFL that has done as well.

If the definition of where kids go to school is the NFL, then ISU has RB and WR. Iowa has QB, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB and ST. So are all the kids that go to ISU that aren’t RB’s and WR’s “dumb” if they choose ISU over Iowa? Honestly, KF has kicked the crap out of MC on the recruiting trail. This year was the worst. ISU in the 50’s, Iowa in the 20’s.

Staff expected that, why else would they be offering other running backs over the past week. No comparison between Iowa City and Lames, hard to believe he visited both schools on his own and couldn't see a difference.

Next man in.
Campbell is a hell of a coach and a pretty good recruiter. In addition, he has some things to point out about clone running backs going pro. Much like we have with OL, TE, DL and DB's

Right. And your a IA State lover. NO ONE who is objective would EVER say with a straight face that Ames is a more collegiate college campus.

My wife and I both are Iowa grads, our older daughter is a 2nd year student at ISU right now, and I can say without hesitation that ISU is a more traditional collegiate campus. It's a beautiful, walkable, well-preserved, self-contained campus. I think Iowa City is a better overall college town, but the campus sprawls across the entire city, which is not what you normally see in a traditional collegiate campus.

My wife and I both are Iowa grads, our older daughter is a 2nd year student at ISU right now, and I can say without hesitation that ISU is a more traditional collegiate campus. It's a beautiful, walkable, well-preserved, self-contained campus. I think Iowa City is a better overall college town, but the campus sprawls across the entire city, which is not what you normally see in a traditional collegiate campus.
What? FFS, you can't have attended or lived in Iowa City and say this. You can walk to every meaningful part of Iowa's campus. Iowa State is spread all over. The Vet school is st least a mile or more from downtown. In Iowa City, the UI hospitals and clinics are maybe 3 blocks off campus. You are full of it.

What? FFS, you can't have attended or lived in Iowa City and say this. You can walk to every meaningful part of Iowa's campus. Iowa State is spread all over. The Vet school is st least a mile or more from downtown. In Iowa City, the UI hospitals and clinics are maybe 3 blocks off campus. You are full of it.

You're either desperately trolling, high on paint fumes, or just flat dumb.

Reactions: weeterkane
You should try getting outside more.
Where do YOU live? And I have been to both campuses and there is no comparison. Not.even.close. I seriously doubt that either you or your wife have degrees from Iowa. And I would recommend that you check your water system for levels of lead.

Where do YOU live? And I have been to both campuses and there is no comparison. Not.even.close. I seriously doubt that either you or your wife have degrees from Iowa. And I would recommend that you check your water system for levels of lead.

You seem pretty insecure. You know it is possible, even kind of normal, to be able to acknowledge that ISU has an attractive campus and still be an Iowa fan.

Reactions: 24 so far

Just FYI, the Vet school is the only part of campus that is separated from the rest. And I mean, wouldn't it have to be? It's a self-contained campus that not only treats farm animals, but pets. And it has labs that are not accessible to the public working on all kinds of animal diseases. Not to mention, the students there post-grad professional students, just like those in med school or law school. There is no need for them to go to central campus for classes. I can't think of a single reason why the Vet school should be connected to campus.

Gonzo is correct, the ISU campus is the more traditional college campus. As an undergrad, you CAN walk to every part of the ISU campus that you need to. The traditional campus may not be what some people are looking for, but that's what it is.

I have walked both campuses and I enjoy both of them. I probably prefer Iowa’s but ISU is nice in the way that it is smaller and more traditional. IC is a great town in general so that’s why I enjoy it more.

Reactions: CEIABall
I have walked both campuses and I enjoy both of them. I probably prefer Iowa’s but ISU is nice in the way that it is smaller and more traditional. IC is a great town in general so that’s why I enjoy it more.
The Iowa Pentacrest is unrivaled in Iowa university campuses, IMHO. Combine that with all of the surrounding campus built around downtown Iowa City, with a river running through it, the dorms, hospital complex and stadium/arena and more colleges on the west side of the river, it is incredibly beautiful.

I had traveled to 50+ campuses throughout the United States for my job before I retired. I have been to Ames many times and have driven around the town to see what it offered. I don't see what you are talking about. There are some nice parts but the whole is just not that great.

Reactions: HerkyFan
Applebee’s is what isu uses to show off to recruits. Think about that.

Bbbbbbwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaahahahahah

What is funny about that is how some of their fans thought that was the most amazing thing they had ever seen. might want to get out of the house more if putting words on a sign is that cool to you.

Reactions: HerkyFan
What is funny about that is how some of their fans thought that was the most amazing thing they had ever seen. might want to get out of the house more if putting words on a sign is that cool to you.

Bingo. It really does end any and all debate between Iowa and isu.

The Iowa Pentacrest is unrivaled in Iowa university campuses, IMHO. Combine that with all of the surrounding campus built around downtown Iowa City, with a river running through it, the dorms, hospital complex and stadium/arena and more colleges on the west side of the river, it is incredibly beautiful.

I had traveled to 50+ campuses throughout the United States for my job before I retired. I have been to Ames many times and have driven around the town to see what it offered. I don't see what you are talking about. There are some nice parts but the whole is just not that great.
I also like the Pentacrest. I doubt very, very much that you have ever taken time to walk central campus at ISU.

Reactions: David1979
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT