ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Drinking Thread: Barrel Strength Bourbons and Ryes

I promise you you'll love it. Every sip is different from the one before.

I have some frozen pineapple and peach slices but not juice. :( I’m nearly out of Hendricks so the next run I’ll get some fruit to juice and freeze. I do appreciate this tip!

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
I have some frozen frozen pineapple and peace slices but not juice. :( I’m nearly out of Hendricks so the next run I’ll get some fruit to juice and freeze. I do appreciate this tip!

Good lord @DFSNOLE, I wrote that like it was my fourth. Lol. Sorry for the typos.

Lol. So you’re on your....?
Third of this.:D
2djki86iqyx21.jpg

I got to visit my favorite independent store in Perry Georgia this weekend and picked up a bottle of Booker's Beaten Biscuit Batch, Blantons and EC Rye. I've never had the EC rye.
Dammit @PoopandBoogers. I saw a bottle of the Old Granddad but forgot about your recommendation. Now it's burned in my brain.

I got to visit my favorite independent store in Perry Georgia this weekend and picked up a bottle of Booker's Beaten Biscuit Batch, Blantons and EC Rye. I've never had the EC rye.
Dammit @PoopandBoogers. I saw a bottle of the Old Granddad but forgot about your recommendation. Now it's burned in my brain.
No worries. It's not hard to find at all, nothing rare like the other two you bought.

That's what I remembered. It's supposed to have 27% rye but it doesn't drink like that.
Tastes like water to me. Very good water at that, but I like some bite to it. I tend to like the 100pf+ stuff and just take small sips. A 3 finger pour with a little cube lasts me an hr, and I find that perfect.

Currently on my "top shelf" I have
1. HighWest Yippee Ki-Yay
2. Stagg Jr. (128.6 proof version)
3. EC BP (had two of these but recently cashed one) (C919 batch 136.8 proof)
4. OF 1897
5. EH Taylor Small Batch BiB
6. Pikesville Rye

Basically anything over 50 bucks I don't drink for daily sippers so keep them for the weekend.
Out of the above I think the EC BP is my favorite but the Stagg jr. is also up there. All of the above are all great...EH Taylor is probably smoothest but it does one of the proofs so it makes some sense.

I have been wanting to snag the OF 1920 as I have heard great things. I'll stop by today on my way home to snag a bottle.

For my daily sipper it doesn't get much better than Wild Turkey 101 for me. If you haven't tried this yet do yourself a favor. Its awesome for the price.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
4. OF 1897
6. Pikesville Rye

Basically anything over 50 bucks I don't drink for daily sippers so keep them for the weekend.
Out of the above I think the EC BP is my favorite but the Stagg jr. is also up there. All of the above are all great...EH Taylor is probably smoothest but it does one of the proofs so it makes some sense.

I have been wanting to snag the OF 1920 as I have heard great things. I'll stop by today on my way home to snag a bottle.

For my daily sipper it doesn't get much better than Wild Turkey 101 for me. If you haven't tried this yet do yourself a favor. Its awesome for the price.
Old Forester 1920 is a difficult bottle to find around here. Now that @PoopandBoogers has me hooked, I'll start picking one up when I see it. The last EC Barrell Proof that I got was also the C519. That's what was at the liquor store this weekend. I have an unopened bottle in the cabinet so I didn't get another one. The last time I saw a bottle of Stagg was in a raffle after a tasting. I didn't win it but I did get a bottle of EH Taylor SB so I still left happy.

4. OF 1897
6. Pikesville Rye

WT101 is absolutely my favorite go to. Probably the best value on the market and always on the shelf (except when covid first hit). I have a stagg jr sitting on the shelf for special occasions with a handful of others.

You guys have me wanting the ECBF. How much does that run?

Old Forester 1920 is a difficult bottle to find around here. Now that @PoopandBoogers has me hooked, I'll start picking one up when I see it. The last EC Barrell Proof that I got was also the C519. That's what was at the liquor store this weekend. I have an unopened bottle in the cabinet so I didn't get another one. The last time I saw a bottle of Stagg was in a raffle after a tasting. I didn't win it but I did get a bottle of EH Taylor SB so I still left happy.

Nice! Stagg jr is really good so highly recommend it if you can get it. Stopped by on my way home and grabbed a OF 1920 - pretty excited to try it tonight. They also randomly had an EC BP batch B520 so I picked that up too. Not a bad stop except that fact I dropped like $130.

WT101 is absolutely my favorite go to. Probably the best value on the market and always on the shelf (except when covid first hit). I have a stagg jr sitting on the shelf for special occasions with a handful of others.

$69.99

Nice! Stagg jr is really good so highly recommend it if you can get it. Stopped by on my way home and grabbed a OF 1920 - pretty excited to try it tonight. They also randomly had an EC BP batch B520 so I picked that up too. Not a bad stop except that fact I dropped like $130.
I'm jealous of the fact that you found a C520.

Its so good....retails for $60 which is pretty dang good for a 12 year aged bourbon this good. Around Little Rock where I live its tough to find for that price there is on place that when they have it sells it for that price. The place I got it from today had it for $65 so I decided to grab one since its a new batch. Other stores around here have it for 70-90 and I will not pay that much out of principal and the fact I can find it at others for much closer to retail.

And yes WT 101 is so dang good for the price. I tried the regular bottle in bond old forester too and for less than 25 bucks that is not a bad value either but I still prefer the WT 101.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I'm jealous of the fact that you found a C520.
Doesn't matter at all but it was the B520. I guess the label their batches A B C with A being the first release, B being second etc and then its the month and year so this one was their second release of the year in may 2020. But yes I was pretty excited to see it for 65 too. And cheers, nice to see some people appreciate good high proof bourbon!

You found a Blanton's?!

I looked for that after watching a YouTube video where it was being reviewed. All I found was the standard SB.

Unfortunately You’re not likely to find it in the wild unless you find a store That is able to secure the commonly allocated bourbons.

Forgot to mention another good 100 proof cheap one is Old Forester Rye. It came out last year and it really solid. I think it won a gold medal too.

I find it too weak. Much rather have the Bookers, Bakers, or Knob out of the Beam collection.

I used to be a big Basil Hayden fan and only kept it, Woodford and Wild Turkey 101 on hand as my bourbon selections. After doing (I believe, there may be one or two other tiny ones I might have missed) all of the Tennessee and Kentucky whiskey distillery tours and tastings other than Angel Envy which randomly closed twice on days I planned to visit it (both times for “corporate parties”) and quite a few others in places like Scotland, Wales, Canada, Florida, Arizona, Texas, North Carolina, Virginia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, Wisconsin and New York, I got completely turned off Basil Hayden’s. I still have a 4/5s filled bottle from years ago sitting on my shelves.

It’s less to do with the quality of Basil Hayden (which is good...I still like its well balanced peppery bite) and more to do with Jim Beam the company. Their tour is complete garbage and they only let you taste the base Beam products and not the higher quality "other" products like Basil, Booker's, Baker's, Knob Creek etc... So my thought is...if they care so little about their customers why should I continue to support a giant corporation when there are equivalent or even better products out there? Meanwhile, when you're on tours whether you like the brands or not, you can tell that Maker's Mark, Four Roses, Bulleit, Blanton's/Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, Woodford and others all care about their products AND their customer. At Jim Beam, I felt that it was just a giant factory that was annoyed it even had to meet with its customers on occasion. So I went from a big purchaser and supporter of the "B's" to one that keeps mainly Wild Turkey, Bulleit, Maker's, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses and Woodford on hand.

For those who haven't had it, you should definitely look into getting some Wild Buck Rye Whiskey from Weeki Wachee Florida. It's pretty pricey but amazingly good. It is literally a "Mom and Pop" company as it's a couple who grows their own rye and then ferments and distills it using Weeki Wachee springs water (which unlike the tiny spring feeding Jack Daniels and Dickell, Weeki Wachee is a category five spring amongst the largest in the world and is fed by an underground canyon system bigger than the Grand Canyon). It's 100% organic rye, unlike 99% of the "ryes" on the market which usually have other grains in them and seldom have a really high percentage of rye. So the best possible water, the best possible rye and handcrafted by a sweet old couple. PLUS....the bottle is pretty cool. Their Mermaid Rum is also amazingly good as well.

https://www.wildbuckwhiskey.com/home

I haven't had their Ryes N Shine moonshine made from cane and rye, but I hear it is amazing. When Covid isn't hanging around, I'll be going straight to the source to try it.

DSCF6984.5aba5ab27c6fd.jpg

wild-buck-rye.jpg

26d91b_9eb1611d1d61426ab575f2c1233d5d99~mv2.jpg

FloridaMermaidRum.jpg

Forgot to mention another good 100 proof cheap one is Old Forester Rye. It came out last year and it really solid. I think it won a gold medal too.

Continuing what I was saying about Wild Buck Rye Whiskey from Weeki Wachee Springs, Florida. Old Forrester Rye is 65% Rye, 20% Malted Barley, and 15% Corn while the Wild Buck is 100% organic rye. So if you really want to taste what rye actually tastes like in whiskey form you should give it a try. You'll be surprised that the "peppery bite" of rye isn't overpowering when it's at 100%, in fact it lets more of the vanilla and caramel flavors of the new charred American oak barrels in than even straight corn whiskey as the corn sweetness overpowers the vanilla in comparison.

Continuing what I was saying about Wild Buck Rye Whiskey from Weeki Wachee Springs, Florida. Old Forrester Rye is 65% Rye, 20% Malted Barley, and 15% Corn while the Wild Buck is 100% organic rye. So if you really want to taste what rye actually tastes like in whiskey form you should give it a try. You'll be surprised that the "peppery bite" of rye isn't overpowering when it's at 100%, in fact it lets more of the vanilla and caramel flavors of the new charred American oak barrels in than even straight corn whiskey as the corn sweetness overpowers the vanilla in comparison.

Nice! I will have to look for it when I am in florida next time. Doesn't look like I can get here and I am pretty sure they can't ship liquor across state lines. Sounds like something I for sure want to try!

Nice! I will have to look for it when I am in florida next time. Doesn't look like I can get here and I am pretty sure they can't ship liquor across state lines. Sounds like something I for sure want to try!
I get bottles shipped to me all the time. It's usually pricey but it's certainly doable.

Uncorked the EC Rye this evening. It is a "barely legal rye" with 51% rye and 35% corn. EC bourbon is just the opposite. It's good but lacks the heavy peppery taste of others with a higher rye content. It will be good in an Old Fashion or Manhattan.

Uncorked the EC Rye this evening. It is a "barely legal rye" with 51% rye and 35% corn. EC bourbon is just the opposite. It's good but lacks the heavy peppery taste of others with a higher rye content. It will be good in an Old Fashion or Manhattan.

Oh I forgot to mention, if you have enough red limes to mail me a small box of them, I'll send back a jar of marmalade and a bottle of Mellow Corn since you can't find it in your neck of the woods. If you can, I moved since last time so I'll need to message you with my new address.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT