ADVERTISEMENT

Alcohol sampler and review thread

nolesincebirth

HR Legend
Apr 15, 2003
Let’s talk booze. I don’t drink that often but, when I do, I enjoy a good drink. My days of drinking Evan Williams or Aristocrat Vodka are long behind me. I may have 2-3 drinks per week so I want to enjoy them.

I’m a whiskey / bourbon guy but occasionally drink vodka. Recently, I decided to expand into rum. I tried a great rum at a party and it tasted like a smooth whiskey. I decided to try out a few others. So I went to the liquor store and the guy working there was selling me on Bumbu Rum. He told me it’s one of his best sellers, it’s popular, blah blah blah. I figured, “what the hell, I’ll try it.” I hate it. So, in an effort to spare others from this misfortune, I figure we should have an alcohol review thread. And I’m not talking about some random craft booze that is only found in some niche market, I’m talking about stuff you can find in most stores.

Whiskey: I’m a simple man. I like Gentleman Jack for casual drinking and if I’m going to upgrade, I’ll go with an Old Forresters Prohibition Style. I like my whiskey neat.

Vodka: Tito’s is a great go-to but lately I’ve liked the potato vodkas. Chopin is everywhere and is very smooth. I found another craft potato vodka called Claremont that is better than Chopin.

Rum: the stuff I had at the party was called Clement Cuvee Speciale X.O. It was excellent but I don’t know where the guy got it and what it cost. But it was good.

I was just convinced to buy Bumbu. I’ve had pure maple syrup that was less sweet than this stuff. It has an overpowering sugar/vanilla/banana flavor. I’m sure it’s good for making fruity boat drinks but for sipping neat, hard pass. I’m pissed I bought it. 1 out of 5.

I also bought Bacardi Cuatro. I’d give it a 3 out of 5. It’s ok; not smooth but the flavor isn’t bad. I tried it neat and I can see myself drinking this on occasion.

Any Rum recommendations for a decent priced, commercially available dark rum that isn’t loaded with added sugar/flavorings?

“What are you spraying me with?”
“RUM! So no one will believe your story!”

9WNCbT4OyxwDPb61S1jDptlvhdYYMi1jNHmE0sqDFE8.gif

Looks like the stuff you tried at the party goes for >$100 for a fifth.

I can tell you that you'll want to avoid Paramount's spiced rum. It's actually worse than fingernail polish remover.
That’s probably about right. The house of the party was unreal. I got the impression that guy wasn’t buying swill. Hell of a nice guy though.

Whiskey I drink Crown on the rocks. The flavors are okay, just straight crown. I’ll dabble into some other types, but always go crown.

Rum- sailor Jerry is my go to rum

Vodka- Titos

Reactions: nolesincebirth
Whiskey I drink Crown on the rocks. The flavors are okay, just straight crown. I’ll dabble into some other types, but always go crown.

Rum- sailor Jerry is my go to rum

Vodka- Titos
I like Crown. Good call.

I saw Sailor Jerry’s but it was surprisingly cheap so I didn’t think it’d be any good. Maybe I’ll have to reconsider.

I have a neighbor who is of Irish heritage. He goes there twice a year and brings back a bottle of Tullamore Dew (18 yr) that you cannot buy in the States. Best whisky I have ever had. 12 yr Tullamore is still pretty good.

I actually don’t care for straight liquor very often. I do keep a bottle of Glenfiddich on hand, and in the summer I enjoy a Martini - I prefer Beefeater but Tanqueray makes an interesting alternative.

For cocktails I find it difficult to tell a lot of difference from one to the other. My goto list:

* Bourbon Manhattan - OlD Granddad or Knob Creek

* Rye Manhattan - Templeton because Iowa

* Dark and Stormy - Goslings by definition

* Martinez - Ransom Old Tom Gin

I kind of stick to that list.

Whiskey = Jim Beam or Black Velvet
Vodka = Smirnoff or Tito's
Gin = Gordons or Bombay Sapphire
Rum = Cruzan
Brandy = E&J VSOP
Tequila = I can't remember the name, it has a deer on the bottle. I don't get into tequila like I used to.
Blackberry Brandy = Leroux

I have been drinking a lot of brandy old fashioneds lately, must just be the time if year. For you ice fisherman, Leroux blackberry brandy goes perfect with a day on the ice.

ETA : Irish Whiskey = Wolfhound, if I can find it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT