ADVERTISEMENT

Sausages

Yep, I found it just googling Webers mustard Chicago. Looks amazing. That's the only Buffalo thing I see on the website...I wonder how they came across it with such a wide selection of products they had.

It was really surreal seeing it in your picture, gave me quite a double take.

That's interesting, I'm a sucker for trying new mustards, I figured Webers was from Texas just based on the name of the condiment.

I bet that loose cannon @JRHawk2003 is getting so pissed off looking at all these pics.

Happy In My Head GIF by Franck Arnel

That's interesting, I'm a sucker for trying new mustards, I figured Webers was from Texas just based on the name of the condiment.

Yeah, I don't know what that's about. Webers is extremely local to Buffalo.

But that's kind of a thing I guess...one of the other upstate/Western NY foods is a "Texas Hot" which is a kind of chili dog, but its 100% of greek origin that has zero to do with Texas.

texasbrandhotdogsauce16oz500px_1200x1200.jpg

I've got a couple of these packs in my freezer.

Yeah, I don't know what that's about. Webers is extremely local to Buffalo.

But that's kind of a thing I guess...one of the other upstate/Western NY foods is a "Texas Hot" which is a kind of chili dog, but its 100% of greek origin that has zero to do with Texas.

texasbrandhotdogsauce16oz500px_1200x1200.jpg

I've got a couple of these packs in my freezer.

Is the Buffalo “Texas Hot” similar to the Detroit Coney sauce? My old Hometown of Brooksville FL has an iconic hot dog stand from 1960 called Coney Island Drive-Inn and they’re famous for footlong hot dogs in steamed buns (that’s what she said) coverered in Detroit-style Coney sauce. They also have Mississippi Delta-style chili sauce, North Carolina style cole slaw dogs, NYC style sauerkraut, mustard and onions dogs and a Deep South “swamp relish”/chow chow dog. They refuse to carry Chicago style or any of the ”new” California style dogs (for good reason, they’re all trash. But I do love a Columbian Super Perro dog). So I was just wondering as I’ve had MANY a Coney Sauce dog over the decades.

As a sidenote and for the record, I’ve been to many a famous Chicago, LA and NYC hot dog institutions plus many other famous hot doggeries like Ben’s Chili Bowl in Atlanta and Skyline Chili in St Louis. And my personal favorite hot dogs in order are………..

1) Chili Dog from Abe’s Bar-B-Que in Clarksdale Mississippi. The name would make you think BBQ is the best food at the classic institution located at the famous Demon Crossroads in the Mississippi Delta but it’s the chili recipe that someone sold their soul to get. It’s amazing on their Delta tamales, hamburgers and French fries as well, but since we’re talking hot dogs it’s my numero uno.
2) Chili Dog from Fred and Red Chili in Joplin Missouri. Again, the chili is great alone and on everything else, but the dog is fantastic.
3) Loaded Chili Coney from Ike’s Chili in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The 1908 institution is famous for the chili like the other three but here they gild the Lily by adding onions and cheese.
4) Crawfish Dog from Dat Dog in New Orleans, Louisiana. They take a hot dog shaped sausage made from Crawfish, grill it and cover it with crawfish etouffe, sour cream, onions, tomatoes and Creole mustard. It’s an amazing and untraditional take on a hot dog. Their rougarou dog made with an alligator sausage topped with grilled onions, jalapeños, tomatoes and creole mustard is also a winner I almost put on this list. Literally, all of the dogs at Dat Dog could be placed on this list, I’m a big fan. Definitely hit up the Frenchmen street location while hopping between live music clubs.
5). Chili Slaw All the Way Dog from Nu-Way Weiners in Macon Georgia. A bright cherry red dog (the ”Nu-way” of making hot dogs goes back to 1906 so it’s actually an old classic way) topped with chili, cole slaw, onions and mustard. Surprisingly, the mild chili found here works really well with the veggies and mustard.

If there’s interest I’ll come back and finish out a top 10 or 20.

• Haha
Reactions: SoProudNole
Is the Buffalo “Texas Hot” similar to the Detroit Coney sauce? My old Hometown of Brooksville FL has an iconic hot dog stand from 1960 called Coney Island Drive-Inn and they’re famous for footlong hot dogs in steamed buns (that’s what she said) coverered in Detroit-style Coney sauce.

I imagine it is pretty similar, as it's also derived from greek restaurants (based on me looking up coney dogs). I would have to try one to see how similar the flavor profile is, but my guess is that it would probably seem pretty similar to you, at least unless you were having them side by side.

From looking at Coney dog recipes, the main potential differences could be
- Texas Hots sauce has like a slight but noticable cinnamon/ginger/allspice/cloves thing going on
- Usually does not have any tomato sauce/paste or sugar
- Is runnier/wetter, maybe closer to gravy than chili
- The hot dogs are cooked on a skillet, not steamed or grilled
- Mustard and onions are beneath the sauce

AF1QipMCDnWgMA2WQQWtDfVxfZLMdcwjaFP675AXdjap=s680-w680-h510

Of course, it's one of those things where every place has their own recipe, so there are probably some Texas Hots places that are extremely similar to some Coney Dogs places, and some that are pretty different.

All that said, Buffalo is a big hot dog town, and Texas Hots are the extremely low second place style, one that plenty of people don't do at all. I wouldn't say it's an acquired taste, but it is a bit of a more niche choice.

The primary and overwhelmingly more popular style is the char-grilled Sahlens with onions, mustard, relish, hot sauce and pickle. Although, the toppings are in no way prescribed like most specialty hot dogs...you can get whatever you want on it without recrimination that's just the "everything". It's just the char-grilled Sahlens (or similar, outside Buffalo in like Rochester or Syracuse).

The primary provider is Teds Hot Dogs, which has nine locations, but there are dozens of other char-grilled hot dogs independents as well.

images
images

There's nothing particularly "unique" about this dog, I can (and do) make at my house all the damn time. What makes it unique, and dearly missed by virtually anyone who leaves Buffalo, is just how few places offer it...a char-grilled, natural casing, beef+pork hot dog. It's a regular staple food there, and it's surprising when you leave and realize you can't get it almost anywhere else. There's no place to get one in Atlanta...there was one place (guy was from Buffalo), but it's closed.

I ate a bunch of hot dogs in Chicago, and the only one that was chargrilled, weirdly enough, was in the airport. I'm sure they exist some places, and you've probably found some, but they're uncommon in most places.

I imagine it is pretty similar, as it's also derived from greek restaurants (based on me looking up coney dogs). I would have to try one to see how similar the flavor profile is, but my guess is that it would probably seem pretty similar to you, at least unless you were having them side by side.

- Texas Hots sauce has like a slight but noticable cinnamon/ginger/allspice/cloves thing going on

Of course, it's one of those things where every place has their own recipe, so there are probably some Texas Hots places that are extremely similar to some Coney Dogs places, and some that are pretty different.

All that said, Buffalo is a big hot dog town, and Texas Hots are the extremely low second place style, one that plenty of people don't do at all. I wouldn't say it's an acquired taste, but it is a bit of a more niche choice.

The primary and overwhelmingly more popular style is the char-grilled Sahlens with onions, mustard, relish, hot sauce and pickle. Although, the toppings are in no way prescribed like most specialty hot dogs...you can get whatever you want on it without recrimination that's just the "everything". It's just the char-grilled Sahlens (or similar, outside Buffalo in like Rochester or Syracuse).

The primary provider is Teds Hot Dogs, which has nine locations, but there are dozens of other char-grilled hot dogs independents as well.

images
images

There's nothing particularly "unique" about this dog, I can (and do) make at my house all the damn time. What makes it unique, and dearly missed by virtually anyone who leaves Buffalo, is just how few places offer it...a char-grilled, natural casing, beef+pork hot dog. It's a regular staple food there, and it's surprising when you leave and realize you can't get it almost anywhere else. There's no place to get one in Atlanta...there was one place (guy was from Buffalo), but it's closed.

I ate a bunch of hot dogs in Chicago, and the only one that was chargrilled, weirdly enough, was in the airport. I'm sure they exist some places, and you've probably found some, but they're uncommon in most places.

There are plenty of acceptable ways to cook a hot dog, but I do love a char-dog.

images
images

The char dog at Midway is actually very good, or at least it was

Wolfy's has the best char dog in the city imo, but it's been a while for me

Reactions: Nole Lou
Is the Buffalo “Texas Hot” similar to the Detroit Coney sauce? My old Hometown of Brooksville FL has an iconic hot dog stand from 1960 called Coney Island Drive-Inn and they’re famous for footlong hot dogs in steamed buns (that’s what she said) coverered in Detroit-style Coney sauce. They also have Mississippi Delta-style chili sauce, North Carolina style cole slaw dogs, NYC style sauerkraut, mustard and onions dogs and a Deep South “swamp relish”/chow chow dog. They refuse to carry Chicago style or any of the ”new” California style dogs (for good reason, they’re all trash. But I do love a Columbian Super Perro dog). So I was just wondering as I’ve had MANY a Coney Sauce dog over the decades.

As a sidenote and for the record, I’ve been to many a famous Chicago, LA and NYC hot dog institutions plus many other famous hot doggeries like Ben’s Chili Bowl in Atlanta and Skyline Chili in St Louis. And my personal favorite hot dogs in order are………..

1) Chili Dog from Abe’s Bar-B-Que in Clarksdale Mississippi. The name would make you think BBQ is the best food at the classic institution located at the famous Demon Crossroads in the Mississippi Delta but it’s the chili recipe that someone sold their soul to get. It’s amazing on their Delta tamales, hamburgers and French fries as well, but since we’re talking hot dogs it’s my numero uno.
2) Chili Dog from Fred and Red Chili in Joplin Missouri. Again, the chili is great alone and on everything else, but the dog is fantastic.
3) Loaded Chili Coney from Ike’s Chili in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The 1908 institution is famous for the chili like the other three but here they gild the Lily by adding onions and cheese.
4) Crawfish Dog from Dat Dog in New Orleans, Louisiana. They take a hot dog shaped sausage made from Crawfish, grill it and cover it with crawfish etouffe, sour cream, onions, tomatoes and Creole mustard. It’s an amazing and untraditional take on a hot dog. Their rougarou dog made with an alligator sausage topped with grilled onions, jalapeños, tomatoes and creole mustard is also a winner I almost put on this list. Literally, all of the dogs at Dat Dog could be placed on this list, I’m a big fan. Definitely hit up the Frenchmen street location while hopping between live music clubs.
5). Chili Slaw All the Way Dog from Nu-Way Weiners in Macon Georgia. A bright cherry red dog (the ”Nu-way” of making hot dogs goes back to 1906 so it’s actually an old classic way) topped with chili, cole slaw, onions and mustard. Surprisingly, the mild chili found here works really well with the veggies and mustard.

If there’s interest I’ll come back and finish out a top 10 or 20.
A great topic.

"Coney dogs" are different from "chili dogs" as some people don't realize. THe Coney Dog is actually a Michigan invention, named the Coney Dog after Coney Island, because it was the immigrants who brought if from their region around Greece.

It is all basically a ground down watery meat based sauce. The original Fort Wayne Coney Island is still there, and is amazing, a throw back in time, you go sit down at the counter and get your dogs. Served with onion and mustard.

In Detroit you have American and Lafayette downtown that are institutions, a bit more "modern" than Fort Wayne's Coney Island. But all virtually the same taste. Jackson MI makes a coney with beef heart and it has a different flavor.

Now Skyline from Cincinnati, which I love, is much better as a spaghetti topping on their 4 way (I prefer sauce, cheese, onion). I'm not a fan of their dogs compared to Michigan coney dogs. Cincinnati is differentiated by their cinnamon hint. A 4-way from skyline is awesome. I don't think their dogs are great however. Another cool thing in Cincinnati is they have these "chili" spots all around town, like a local bar in Wisconsin.

So Coney spots are a very midwest thing. Chilli dog spots are totally different and equally as good, but nothing the same.

The char dog at Midway is actually very good, or at least it was

Wolfy's has the best char dog in the city imo, but it's been a while for me

Yeah, that place in the Midway airport looks like its closed, but that's definitely where I went, and it was my favorite one I had in Chicago by far.

A great topic.

"Coney dogs" are different from "chili dogs" as some people don't realize. THe Coney Dog is actually a Michigan invention, named the Coney Dog after Coney Island, because it was the immigrants who brought if from their region around Greece.

It is all basically a ground down watery meat based sauce. The original Fort Wayne Coney Island is still there, and is amazing, a throw back in time, you go sit down at the counter and get your dogs. Served with onion and mustard.

In Detroit you have American and Lafayette downtown that are institutions, a bit more "modern" than Fort Wayne's Coney Island. But all virtually the same taste. Jackson MI makes a coney with beef heart and it has a different flavor.

Now Skyline from Cincinnati, which I love, is much better as a spaghetti topping on their 4 way (I prefer sauce, cheese, onion). I'm not a fan of their dogs compared to Michigan coney dogs. Cincinnati is differentiated by their cinnamon hint. A 4-way from skyline is awesome. I don't think their dogs are great however. Another cool thing in Cincinnati is they have these "chili" spots all around town, like a local bar in Wisconsin.

So Coney spots are a very midwest thing. Chilli dog spots are totally different and equally as good, but nothing the same.

Yep, I've had neither a Coney or a Cincinnati dog, but from what I gather, Buffalo Texas dog is the structure and consistency of the Coney sauce, but with closer to the Cincinnati flavor profile. I don't mean to overstate the cinnamon-ness of a Texas hot, but it's definitely in that direction, rather than a spicy direction.

I've married into a Greek family and I am still not on board with cinnamon being included in all of their red sauces. I'd probably still enjoy a Texas hot, but would definitely prefer spicy over cinnamony.

I like the mini hot dog option in Cincinnati. It's easier to eat without the toppings falling off

The chili, meh - i like it once in a while, like maybe a couple times a year. It can't be your standard football chili that you make a dozen times when it gets cold out. I'd say the same thing about deep dish pizza, you couldn't eat that more than a couple times a year

I like the mini hot dog option in Cincinnati. It's easier to eat without the toppings falling off

The chili, meh - i like it once in a while, like maybe a couple times a year. It can't be your standard football chili that you make a dozen times when it gets cold out. I'd say the same thing about deep dish pizza, you couldn't eat that more than a couple times a year
That's a pretty good comp. I love skyline (on their spaghetti) and get it 3-4 times a year when I'm in town. Love it. But I can't imagine having it all the time. Similarly, I like a deep dish 1-2 times a year. It's too filling to eat all the time, but once or twice a year it's great.

Yep, I've had neither a Coney or a Cincinnati dog, but from what I gather, Buffalo Texas dog is the structure and consistency of the Coney sauce, but with closer to the Cincinnati flavor profile. I don't mean to overstate the cinnamon-ness of a Texas hot, but it's definitely in that direction, rather than a spicy direction.
The thing about the Cincinnati flavor is if you didn't know it had cinnamon, you'd not realize it. You'd think, this is an interesting flavor, I think I like it. But once you learn it has cinnamon, you can't mistake it. It's not strong in that sense, but adds a very unique flavor profile.

OP’s mom was able to do 6

giphy.gif

Also bonus live look I at me grilling sauce after edibles kick in.

giphy.gif

Chevaps, equal parts beef, pork and lamb, great garlic flavor. Avjar spread, raw onion and pita.

One of my favorite street festival foods, paired nicely with a Octoberest style lager.

PXL-20230923-192937991.jpg

Maxwell Street Polish, yellow mustard, sport peppers, grilled onions would have been nice... But still delicious on a beautiful October Sunday.

Three Floyd's Munsterfest is unpictured.

PXL-20231001-173527605.jpg

Reactions: bhawk24bob
Nothing prepared today, just wanted to share that I have found my favorite retail sausage.

Beef, pork mixture, natural casing, nice smoke and garlic flavor.

Markowski's Real Sausage. Pretty sure they're at Costco but only during summer months.

PXL-20231012-223436208.jpg

Nothing prepared today, just wanted to share that I have found my favorite retail sausage.

Beef, pork mixture, natural casing, nice smoke and garlic flavor.

Markowski's Real Sausage. Pretty sure they're at Costco but only during summer months.

PXL-20231012-223436208.jpg
If there is a BJ's Wholesale near anyone, they have a legit gourmet selection of sausages. Probably 15-20 different selections, several imports.

All beef spicy Polish, natural casing, yellow mustard, giardiniera. Delicious. Basic, but I just love a good Polish sausage.

PXL-20231014-171516751.jpg

Reactions: dgordo
Today's Maxwell St Polish was just a vessel for my first batch of homemade mustard, I hadn't realized how easy it is to make.

Followed this recipe.

PXL-20231228-185714696.jpg
See
~1:58-2:59. Or the whole skit.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT