ADVERTISEMENT

Sausages

Ahh, the advent of calcium alginate casings has allowed my reentry into the link sausage world. This is a seaweed based product, rather than beef or pork.
Due to alpha -gal syndrome I can’t tolerate mammalian meat products, but poultry, seafood, and reptile products are just fine.
Diced Turkey sausage in a big soup pot tonight, black eyed peas, peppers, maters, etc…

Ahh, the advent of calcium alginate casings has allowed my reentry into the link sausage world. This is a seaweed based product, rather than beef or pork.
Due to alpha -gal syndrome I can’t tolerate mammalian meat products, but poultry, seafood, and reptile products are just fine.
Diced Turkey sausage in a big soup pot tonight, black eyed peas, peppers, maters, etc…

Welcome back!

Here's one I've done a few times since first seeing it this summer, I've just always forgotten to take pictures. The recipe is more useful anyways. Found in a older cook book of Chicago Greektown restaurants and recipes of others in the community.

PXL-20230716-213435923-MP.jpg

Reactions: Nole Lou
Grilled Italian hot sausage, peppers and onions, hot giardiniera on a lightly toasted French roll.

Juicy sausage, nice mix of hot and sweet, nice crunch. So easy.

PXL-20240215-015832750-MP.jpg

Wood. I've been on a bit of a kick recently with hot Italian sausage. I have been cooking sous vide and then finishing on broil. I grabbed 10 today that I will start on soon.

How do you feel about giardinara relish?

I always have a jar of both regular and relish. I use the relish when I'm not necessarily looking for the crunch aspect. I'll mix it in cream cheese to top a bagel or in a dip, also great for adding to pastas. Plus all the other typical uses.

Reactions: bhawk24bob
This will be pretty anticlimactic but just an hour at 160. Light oil before they go into broil. Then I just use giardinara and mustard. I'm a man of simple tastes.

Have you tried simmering them in water (or flavored water) pot for the cook portion before doing your finishing process?

160 is just 20-30 degrees less than simmering, so I'm curious if there's a sous vide advantage over just using the stove.

Reactions: Moral
Have you tried simmering them in water (or flavored water) pot for the cook portion before doing your finishing process?

160 is just 20-30 degrees less than simmering, so I'm curious if there's a sous vide advantage over just using the stove.

The only advantage is probably food prep, I usually end up just tossing a few packs in the freezer. That and I'm easily distracted and it's hard for me to eff up the sous vide if I space it. I've done simmering, the end product is about the same unless I forget them on the stove.

The only advantage is probably food prep, I usually end up just tossing a few packs in the freezer. That and I'm easily distracted and it's hard for me to eff up the sous vide if I space it. I've done simmering, the end product is about the same unless I forget them on the stove.
I also like being able to sous vide them for a long as time with no evaporation. I can then either use the brats in the bag, or just put the bag in fridge to soak for another day in the cold. But yeah, it is probably the same and result. It is just easier…

Tried a new to me dog brand, they're out of Milwaukee, pretty tasty.

Mustard, relish, sport peppers, tomato, celery salt, steamed bun.

PXL-20240303-185702713.jpg

PXL-20240303-191318808.jpg

I went to the Vienna Beef factory store, the dog was excellent, I realize the tomatoe doesn't do it visually, but it was delicious. Also picked up some dogs that for whatever reason can't be found at the usual grocers.

PXL-20240330-171509694.jpg

PXL-20240331-155719110.jpg

Last edited:
I went to the Vienna Beef factory store, the dog was excellent, I realize the tomatoe doesn't do it visually, but it was delicious. Also picked up some dogs that for whatever reason can't be found at the usual grocers.

PXL-20240330-171509694.jpg

PXL-20240331-155719110.jpg

Vienna beef has been my go to recently. So good.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
What's your typical method and fixins?

Recently I have just been going steamed in a pan. I have a gluten free kitchen due to the lady's Celiac disease and don't much like gluten free breads so I just eat them naked with giardiniera, dill pickles, and tomato. Sometimes I pile them with La Costena nacho jalapenos, I like their flavor and they are pretty mild so I can go pretty heavy on them.

When I see the breaded sausages I get a little jealous.

How is it hot from the wave?

Really good, it waves into a nice fruit roll up consistency and puts a nice scent in the air that will keep the house smelling fresh for days.

Had to share this one from last night. 8 inch spicy Polish, grilled onions, sport peppers and mustard. Simple yet delicious.

PXL-20240406-012959949-2.jpg

Looks like somebody found the chicago hot link.

These used to be available at every hot dog stand in the city about 30 years ago, and now they're confined largely to the south and west side bbq places

My mother in law always buys those shitty Johnsonville brats for my FIL to grill.

I grilled him a Hy Vee brat and he thought it was the best thing on Earth. Shows you what a lifetime of those crappy ones are like.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Kelsers and Moral
Looks like somebody found the chicago hot link.

These used to be available at every hot dog stand in the city about 30 years ago, and now they're confined largely to the south and west side bbq places

Got this particular one at Flub a Dub Chub's

This raises a true 3rd world (sox park) problem. When presented with the option of the footlong chicago style vs the 6:1 with grilled onions and mustard (or the polish), what's the preference?

Reactions: ThorneStockton
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT