ADVERTISEMENT

Scherff Settling in at RG.

"Initially, they said Scherff was just taking snaps at guard to ensure he had familiarity with that position if another guard got hurt. But Scherff looked more comfortable at guard than he had at right tackle..."

I thought BS might eventually move inside to guard as a pro - didn't think it would be right away though. Future Pro-Bowler.

Did you see him get blown up in a one-on-one drill with J.J. Watt on "Hard Knocks?" Watt is out of this world, but made Scherff look very bad.

I remember offensive line experts always saying that Robert Gallery would have probably had a better NFL career had he been transitioned into their system better. Specifically, it often helps to start off at OG or RT before being thrown to the wolves at LT.

Whether Scherff ends up landing at RT or some other spot ... it appears as though he's being transitioned into the NFL system pretty well ... which will probably help him (and the team) in the long run.

Did you see him get blown up in a one-on-one drill with J.J. Watt on "Hard Knocks?" Watt is out of this world, but made Scherff look very bad.

To be fair to scherff watt blows everybody up. Last season on hard knocks did it to Falcons rookie #6 pick jake Matthews during their inter squad drills.

Hoping scherff can be like a Marshall yanda and turn into one of the better guards in football. Yanda arguably best guard in football also was solid when they moved him out to tackle end of last season do to injuries and showed his versatility.

In regards to going from Tackle in college to Guard in the NFL.....did the Raiders move Robert Gallery over to Guard right away or did that come later?

In regards to going from Tackle in college to Guard in the NFL.....did the Raiders move Robert Gallery over to Guard right away or did that come later?

He started off his first 2 years at right tackle and then, after that, was moved to left tackle. On that third year, he had a horrible year at LT and was moved to LG the year afterwards.

The problem is that if they wanted him to eventually be at LT, they should have started him off more at LG. There is quite a big change when you switch sides. The threw him off by throwing him at RT ... and then moved him over to his "home side" only after throwing him off at RT. He then went on to be a pretty good LG. Even on the NFL level, there is still a learning curve ... and there's still plenty of room for development. The Raiders did a very poor job of developing him at LT. Unfortunately, too much blame gets piled solely on Gallery for being a draft "bust" ... but that is somewhat inaccurate.

I hate hearing Gallery called a draft bust. He started 103 NFL games. Draft busts are guys who flame out, not guys who don't become All Pro.

This! Desmond Howard played 11 seasons, was a 2 time all-pro, holds the all-time record for punt return yards in a season, played in 1 pro bowl and was a Super Bowl MVP. Yet some called him a bust.

I was reading the opposite last week, that Scherff moved Watt well and put him on his ass at least once. I don't think it was 1v1 though.

I think some of us thought he might be a guard in the NFL last year. I do not think this move to guard is surprising. He had a few well chronicled struggles in pass pro last season that we all saw. He is excellent in the run game.

Nothing wrong with becoming an all-pro at guard someday. See Yanda. Like all rooks he has an adjustment to make at this level. Everybody is big, strong and fast.

I think some of us thought he might be a guard in the NFL last year. I do not think this move to guard is surprising. He had a few well chronicled struggles in pass pro last season that we all saw. He is excellent in the run game.

Nothing wrong with becoming an all-pro at guard someday. See Yanda. Like all rooks he has an adjustment to make at this level. Everybody is big, strong and fast.

Plus Guard is becoming a highly sought-after, highly paid position. Offenses have changed, sure the LT is still the sexy position, but interior lineman have become increasingly important. I can't remember where it was, but there was just an article about this very issue, largely discussing ISU's Osemele and Zack Martin of the Cowboys, saying that 3 of the top 5 (?) paid defensive players are now interior DL, meaning the guards are up against much better competition than in the past.

I know that video of BS getting pushed like a crash dummy looks bad, but if you watch clips of all the other sacks during the game last night, BS appears to be the only o-lineman actually holding his ground. The world is not ending...

The thing with Gallery (at that time for sure) was no team used a #2 pick on a guard.

Even in 2015, I'm not sure many teams want to use a top 5 pick on a guard. I know the Cowboys line and some of the lines the Seahawks had a few years back would show the importance of a guard to the line's play, but... it's still a 5th pick.

All of that said, I could see Scherff being the next Marshall Yanda or if he goes to RT the next Bulaga.

He's a bulldozer in the run game, has been for a while. Pass protection needs work, the NFL will prove that to him early.

But, with RGIII out, run the ball!

Reading this thread, and the corresponding article, is what irritates me, and a lot of us, to no end about KF.

He can take Scherff and make him a top 5 pick who sounds like he's going to be a good one and Yanda, who I've read is considered the best OL in the league not just the best guard.

How can he do this with these two and all the other OL we know and not be able to have top flight HS kids knocking down his door to enroll?????????

Honestly the problem is with some of these kids guardians/parents as well as our recruiting style. If we did a better job of telling recruits, albeit nicely, you're a friggin moron if you don't come learn from this staff, and HC in particular, about playing OL because there's a darn good chance I can get you a Sunday job in the future we'd have to win Piersbacher's more often than we do.

Whatever they're doing isn't right because the results of our OL are pretty damn solid overall and worthy of selling loud and proud.

Reading this thread, and the corresponding article, is what irritates me, and a lot of us, to no end about KF.

He can take Scherff and make him a top 5 pick who sounds like he's going to be a good one and Yanda, who I've read is considered the best OL in the league not just the best guard.

How can he do this with these two and all the other OL we know and not be able to have top flight HS kids knocking down his door to enroll?????????

Honestly the problem is with some of these kids guardians/parents as well as our recruiting style. If we did a better job of telling recruits, albeit nicely, you're a friggin moron if you don't come learn from this staff, and HC in particular, about playing OL because there's a darn good chance I can get you a Sunday job in the future we'd have to win Piersbacher's more often than we do.

Whatever they're doing isn't right because the results of our OL are pretty damn solid overall and worthy of selling loud and proud.

Where do the top ranked linemen attend, statistically?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT