ADVERTISEMENT

School districts not dealing with problem students.

Take away your kids’ cell phones for 8 hours. Watch their reactions. Now do it to 300-1000 in a school. The phones are a massive problem and at this point a losing battle until superintendents grow a pair and enforce policies.

Take away your phone during the school day Tom and watch yourself react.

I could have you sit for a week in my middle school and then you tell me if behaviors were like this 30 years ago. I KNOW middle school was my first exposure to naughty kids. But I never saw swearing in classrooms let alone directed at staff. Swearing is directed at staff now, everyday. That middle school is also the highest scoring MS in the district. So if those teachers are trying to survive, how do you suppose the ones in cities are doing?

Your main point is correct, but the behaviors have escalated since we were in school. What were considered negative behaviors then aren’t even considered issues today.

To be fair I don't think I saw students openly swearing at staff in MS.

But I also know I was relentlessly bullied in MS and the staff also turned a blind eye to the whole thing.

Take away your kids’ cell phones for 8 hours. Watch their reactions. Now do it to 300-1000 in a school. The phones are a massive problem and at this point a losing battle until superintendents grow a pair and enforce policies.

I always thought it was weird that when I was in school you were not allowed to have any electronics on you at all but right after I left K-12 and went to college that cell phones became a big thing and suddenly they decided that it was ok for kids to have the phones on their person during class.

I don't understand parents who WANT their kids to have these electronics on them at all times. I can't stand the kids having the dang things and would like to smash them. My kids have Kindles or old phones that they can use over wifi but we heavily restrict their usage and time on them. They get pissy with me and I'll smash the damn thing with a hammer right in front of them. I know these these things are addictive. My daughter never seems to have issues giving up the phone but my youngest son gets upset and moody if he's on electronics too long so we are very mindful of how/when they use them.

I have no idea why parents are not in full support of schools being 100% phone free zones. This really shouldn't be an issue.

Say what you want, but I believe the fabric of our society is coming apart. There was a time only a few decades ago when most people respected one another, wanted to earn everything they had and acted responsibly and did not want to do anything to or take anything from someone else. That's why crime rates were lower and teachers and police were respected.

Remove morality from our lives and chaos thrives.

As Founding Father John Adams said:

"Suppose a nation in some distant Region should take the Bible for their only law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God ... What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be."
--Diary and Autobiography of John Adams, Vol. III, p. 9.

I went to Catholic school so I get this but public schools are secular.
HOWEVER there is plenty of secular common sense that says these are basic human things that everyone should learn to follow and can be nurtured without the Bible.

Reactions: Tom Paris
The last 10 years or so, we as teachers have been encouraged to be more the kids "friend" instead of their "teacher". Having a good teacher/student relationship is important, and kids will certainly work for you more if they like you, but it has gone too far. Teaching is not that damn hard. Drop the hammer during the first 1-2 months of school, and the rest of the year goes pretty well. Kids need to know who is in charge - even the best of them will test you to see how much you will allow. The word "NO" comes out of my mouth a lot in August - November. One of my teaching mentors told me when I first started "you are not here to be liked, you are here to be respected." New teachers (District + Building Admin, and AEA types) don't get that because they don't have 6 classes per day of 25+ students. I've always maintained thar you can run a tight ship in your classroom AND have a good relationship with kids. You don't have to be a jerk, but you have to be firm, fair, and consistent. It's a lot like parenting.

I agree with an earlier post. The few times I got in trouble at school, I got in 5x worse at home. That piece is missing today. There never was any question whose fault it was. Now, parents (in general) question the teachers. Hell, even with cameras in the hallways providing PROOF, the kid will say "didn't do anything", or "we were just playing", or "you try to do too much".

I'm glad I'm at the end if my career...

JFC...

This is stupid, even for you.
Ask any parents that think public schools suck how much time they spend with thier kids actually talking to them about their day or helping them with home work.

We eat dinner together and I ask my kids about what happened the best and worst part of their day. We try to do movie time/game time together also.

Teachers are given minimal time per period with our kids and now don't even have textbooks. If parents aren't attentive kids get left behind and pick up bad behaviors. Don't even get me started on the douches that defend their angels no matter what.

Parents need to parent and support school staff better.

I have heard this from multiple teachers that they have kids that need to be dealt with and nothing is ever done about it. If you discipline them, you are the problem and/or probably racist. Zero administration with any sort of balls. I should note that these were both ICCSD staff members but stories were very similar.

Last edited:
Most kids arrive at elementary school having spent their earliest years at a day care center “tended to” a lot of day care workers with GED’s who also came from a daycare environment. Their main mission is to keep the kids alive and wearing a clean diaper by the time they’re picked up.
They learn that the kids who get the most attention are the ones who act out so there’s a lot of negative mimicry behavior. They see a kid scream and throw a fit get extra attention- even if it’s negative- and they think that’s a good idea.
So few children now have a stay at home Mom and get to go to a little church “nursery school” three mornings a week and learn concepts like “cooperation” and respect and sharing in a room with 7-8 other kids.
That’s what my kids were so lucky to have in the early 80’s and it shows in them today as adults.

Many parents are not involved in their kids lives, and may even be problems.
BUT, schools and teachers cannot control that. So, instead of complaining about poor parenting, which is something they cannot change, teachers and schools need to take control of their environment and set firm rules with consistent enforcement.
Blaming the parents is just a way to deflect from the school's inability or failure, to set and enforce standards on their campus.

I have heard this from multiple teachers that they have kids that need to be dealt with and nothing is ever done about it. If you discipline them, you are the problem and/or probably racist. Zero administration with any sort of balls. I should not that these were both ICCSD staff members but stories were very similar.

The Virginia school where the 6 year old was a KNOWN behavioral risk and who teachers warned the Administrators about - yet he shot his teacher when they ignored the situation - is about to be an expensive example.

Many parents are not involved in their kids lives, and may even be problems.
BUT, schools and teachers cannot control that. So, instead of complaining about poor parenting, which is something they cannot change, teachers and schools need to take control of their environment and set firm rules with consistent enforcement.
Blaming the parents is just a way to deflect from the school's inability or failure, to set and enforce standards on their campus.

There must be pushback from the School System and the parents who care must back them up.
At some point the truth has to be stated.
Either raise your kid to behave or don’t have kids. Send the kid to school rested, nourished, and with a clear understanding of what you, the parent, expect: Sit down, pay attention, respect the Teacher and your classmates.

I made a 20-30 minute presentation to a HS class maybe 15-20 years ago. I couldn't believe how disrespectful the class was. The teacher, who I previously respected, just sat there and let it happen.

People so worked up over books, trans, etc - I don't get it. Basic classroom decorum seems like a much bigger issue.
Kids are assholes. And theiir behavior is a direct reflection of how they are parented. You see shitty kid behavior in public or in school...you have an idea about who cannot parent. Pretty clean and simple.

Reactions: goldmom
I've always thought the best way to make sure kids have a real opportunity to learn and remain safe, is to remove the kids who could care less about getting an education. Have more special disipline problem schools where bad actors are sent to keep them out of the general population. Kids should be able to earn their way back from those schools, but there is no reason one kid should be able to ruin school for everyone else.
I completely agree with you. I always thought there should be a system where kids could move between collegiate prep and vocational. One school for each group with opportunities to move back to college prep if earned. Not sure how to implement because many of the parents of the behavior problems would, again, sue. Guaranteed.

To be fair I don't think I saw students openly swearing at staff in MS.

But I also know I was relentlessly bullied in MS and the staff also turned a blind eye to the whole thing.
Bullying doesn’t happen around me and the kids know it. I have a good way of calling it out that makes the kids realize they’re doing it. I’m sorry that happened to you. Middle school wasn’t easy for me either.

I always thought it was weird that when I was in school you were not allowed to have any electronics on you at all but right after I left K-12 and went to college that cell phones became a big thing and suddenly they decided that it was ok for kids to have the phones on their person during class.
They don’t think it’s ok. They just won’t stand up and tell the kids no and enforce school board policy.

The thing I don't understand is here in the KC area we build a school called Horizons for kids in the Shawnee Mission district years ago that was supposed to be for so called problem kids. My wife works at one of the regular Shawnee Mission schools. However, it's almost impossible now to get a kid out of school and into Horizons. I think it's frustrating for everyone that we continue to let the very small 2-3% of students bog down and take so many resources from the other 98%. Makes zero sense.

The last 10 years or so, we as teachers have been encouraged to be more the kids "friend" instead of their "teacher". Having a good teacher/student relationship is important, and kids will certainly work for you more if they like you, but it has gone too far. Teaching is not that damn hard. Drop the hammer during the first 1-2 months of school, and the rest of the year goes pretty well. Kids need to know who is in charge - even the best of them will test you to see how much you will allow. The word "NO" comes out of my mouth a lot in August - November. One of my teaching mentors told me when I first started "you are not here to be liked, you are here to be respected." New teachers (District + Building Admin, and AEA types) don't get that because they don't have 6 classes per day of 25+ students. I've always maintained thar you can run a tight ship in your classroom AND have a good relationship with kids. You don't have to be a jerk, but you have to be firm, fair, and consistent. It's a lot like parenting.

I agree with an earlier post. The few times I got in trouble at school, I got in 5x worse at home. That piece is missing today. There never was any question whose fault it was. Now, parents (in general) question the teachers. Hell, even with cameras in the hallways providing PROOF, the kid will say "didn't do anything", or "we were just playing", or "you try to do too much".

I'm glad I'm at the end if my career...
This. I’m really tough on K and 1st. A K teacher at my new building complained to the boss that I lit up one of her students after the kid yelled back at me, “I am!!!”. Oh hell no. If you allow a 5 year old to do it you’ll have a 6th grader doing it when he reaches that age. Even the little ones test. By the time they’re in 2nd they understand expectations and then it’s all fun.
It’s all part of the relationship building process, which people who work with me know I’m good at. I had to cover a middle school group - many I had taught since they were 5 - and the teacher next door said to someone else it was the first time it was quiet in there all week.

Like you, I’m glad retirement is getting closer.

Again, you know nothing about me and how I teach. GFY, loser. What’s your job?

I know you post countless times on HROT during school hours. I know that you would like to take phones away from others (see below). Rules for thee but not for me?

Reactions: seminoleed
I know you post countless times on HROT during school hours. I know that you would like to take phones away from others (see below). Rules for thee but not for me?
No you don't. You don't know my job. though, despite not owing you jackshit I told you how I post. This cellphone thing I have no idea what you're yammering about now...like it's a me thing. I don't need my phone. The most it gets used is when a piece of equipment gets broken, I get on Amazon, and purchase a replacement out of my own pocket. Otherwise it's connected to bluetooth playing music as the kids workout and perform.

What's your job you effing hypocrite? If you even have a job does your boss know you spend time posting online? Otherwise, again, GFY.

Are there any stats out there to back up the idea that behavior of children is worse than ever?

Cause some things that are ringing my alarm bells about this.

1. Children have always misbehaved.
2. Undisciplined teenagers have always been the biggest problem
3. Adults have always complained about children mis-behaving.
4. Older people always seem to think that the kids these days are worse than ever in terms of disrespect and misbehavior.

That said I can somewhat believe that with the way many parents treat teachers that they will trust their kid telling them that the teacher has it out for them more than they would trust the teacher that their child is a little asshole. But I believe that because it appears to me that respect for the teaching profession is much lower than what it used to be.
I had 500 office referrals come to me this year. I know it’s exactly 500 because there were only 500 in the package. Five years ago, I had 73.

I’ll say it again, kids don’t know how to negotiate with friends, they have no conflict resolution skills, they don’t respect their peers or adults.

I don't understand parents who WANT their kids to have these electronics on them at all times. I can't stand the kids having the dang things and would like to smash them. My kids have Kindles or old phones that they can use over wifi but we heavily restrict their usage and time on them. They get pissy with me and I'll smash the damn thing with a hammer right in front of them. I know these these things are addictive. My daughter never seems to have issues giving up the phone but my youngest son gets upset and moody if he's on electronics too long so we are very mindful of how/when they use them.

I have no idea why parents are not in full support of schools being 100% phone free zones. This really shouldn't be an issue.
Parents want phones and iWatches because they want to be in communication with their kids at all times. If there is an issue with another student at recess, the kids text their parents and the parents call me. If you think I’m kidding, come spend the day with me.

I had 500 office referrals come to me this year. I know it’s exactly 500 because there were only 500 in the package. Five years ago, I had 73.

I’ll say it again, kids don’t know how to negotiate with friends, they have no conflict resolution skills, they don’t respect their peers or adults.

Sounds like you know exactly what those kids need. And, you’re in the position to actually do it. Do the right thing for those kids and help them learn those skills now.

Education is a cluster****. The problem in order of culpability is
1. Parents
2. The states neutering the power of the teacher's union
3. Parents
8. Teachers
I really don’t see how the teachers union has jack to do with students behavior. Getting more money and time off for teachers sure.

The list of who is responsible should start…
1.Students
2. Parents
3. School board

A students behavior isn’t the teachers job.

• Love
Reactions: seminoleed
Agree with your list Tony. Need to include District Administration at #3, followed by Building Administration at #4. School Boards seem pointless to me. They do nothing.

Our Associate Principal got his hand slapped by District Admin for suspending too many kids. Kudos to him for supporting teachers + getting kids out who were disrupting the learning environment. How many District Admin types were in our building the last month? Zero. If those overpaid District types had to put up with the daily onslaught on f-bombs, the N-word, and constant disrespect, things might change. They stay away from the madness and put their head in the sand. It's really sickening.

I really don’t see how the teachers union has jack to do with students behavior. Getting more money and time off for teachers sure.

The list of who is responsible should start…
1.Students
2. Parents
3. School board

A students behavior isn’t the teachers job.
Totally disagree, student behavior is everyone’s job. Classroom management is a huge part of creating a successful classroom. If a teacher sends a kid to me early in the year for a non-major offense, that teacher has lost the respect of the student and potentially the classroom.

Last edited:
The only thing Catholic schools do right is having a strict dress code. Everything else about their success is a mix of relative affluence, selective admission, and being allowed to expel whoever they want for any reason.
Actually they educate kids who have families who care about education. It allows the jag offs to eventually work for the catholic school kids. It’s perfect. The world needs ditch diggers and people who shop for food at convenience stores.

Goes along with teacher unions but the profession has just sort of been accepted by the public in recent decades as a sort of Peace Corps mission where you commit yourself to poverty and are rewarded by the mission for its own sake while the rest of the world around you evolves to become ruthless neoliberal subjects you still depend on for your own limited consumption.
Poverty? As I have said before, my wife makes 90k plus as a primary school teacher. And has 3 months off a year.

Still underpaid but not really poverty. And no I wouldn’t want to do it. But in some cases, the pay is fair.

Poverty? As I have said before, my wife makes 90k plus as a primary school teacher. And has 3 months off a year.

Still underpaid but not really poverty. And no I wouldn’t want to do it. But in some cases, the pay is fair.
Depending on the district, teachers beginning their careers can really struggle financially. The financial reward is definitely at the end of the career, but it’s really tough when you start.

Depending on the district, teachers beginning their careers can really struggle financially. The financial reward is definitely at the end of the career, but it’s really tough when you start.
True. But, that goes for most careers.

Reactions: Gus is dead
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT