ADVERTISEMENT

Schools #19 and #20

OSU might relenquish the top spot for most annoying Big Ten fanbase if TAMU joins.
Pretty much the only Texas schools that could "fit" the B1G in terms of academics, research, athletics, and market-reach would be Texas or TAMU. Baylor actually could potentially be borderline too ... their med-school given them a substantial bump ... but their market-reach probably isn't significant enough.

All these expansion moves now are all about money ... and trying to get leverage over sports-media providers.

Go to 20! One division with the original 10 and another with the newbies. (Sorry Penn State, you're still a newbie.)

UVA is not an AAU member, so they're out.

Reactions: Bishop-71
Pretty much the only Texas schools that could "fit" the B1G in terms of academics, research, athletics, and market-reach would be Texas or TAMU. Baylor actually could potentially be borderline too ... their med-school given them a substantial bump ... but their market-reach probably isn't significant enough.

All these expansion moves now are all about money ... and trying to get leverage over sports-media providers.
Here are some additional details from back at the end of Feb.

(full tweet mentions that per his source, no invites will be issued to non-AAU schools, so unless FSU is successful in it's attempt to join the AAU they will not get an invite for the B1G)

I have no interest in picking up TAMU or any other Texas school. I'd be good with UNC and UVA, assuming they are able to raise the per school tv revenue. Then you could go to four 5-team divisions that look as follows:

Western Division - USC, UCLA, Wash, Ore, Neb
Midwest Division - Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois
Central Division - OSU, MSU, Purdue, NW, Indiana
Eastern Division - PSU, Rutgers, Md, UNC, UVA

You could then do a rotation where each team plays every team in their division (4 games) plus every team in one other division. For example, Iowa would play every team in the Midwest Division and every team in the Western Division in one year, then every team in the Central the next year, and finally, every team in the Eastern Division. Then start all over.

You could then do a mini-playoff for the conference title whereby the 4 division winners square off in a semi-final with the winners playing for the conference title.

How fun would that be?

Reactions: uihawk82
I don't see them separating Iowa and Nebraska but something along those lines will almost have to be the answer. It would be the only way to ensure teams play each other every few years. The 6 year lay offs teams had with the recent scheduling was ridiculous.

I have no interest in picking up TAMU or any other Texas school. I'd be good with UNC and UVA, assuming they are able to raise the per school tv revenue. Then you could go to four 5-team divisions that look as follows:

Western Division - USC, UCLA, Wash, Ore, Neb
Midwest Division - Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois
Central Division - OSU, MSU, Purdue, NW, Indiana
Eastern Division - PSU, Rutgers, Md, UNC, UVA

You could then do a rotation where each team plays every team in their division (4 games) plus every team in one other division. For example, Iowa would play every team in the Midwest Division and every team in the Western Division in one year, then every team in the Central the next year, and finally, every team in the Eastern Division. Then start all over.

You could then do a mini-playoff for the conference title whereby the 4 division winners square off in a semi-final with the winners playing for the conference title.

How fun would that be?

I like what you did there.

Regarding a TX school addition, I can see why the conference would want a foothold into the state...same with Florida.

Secure/expand fertile recruiting grounds and add solid media markets.

Guess we'll see over time how this all shakes out.

It's far from over.

Can we send Nebraska to the portal?

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Can we send Nebraska to the portal?
Amen, I was wondering when someone was going to ask if we can finally fooking dump Nebber. The red-headed stepchild that is literally a red-headed stepchild.

Not sure why we wouldn’t replace them with somebody who’s at least won an NCAA tournament game, maybe someone like Farleigh Dickinson?

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Amen, I was wondering when someone was going to ask if we can finally fooking dump Nebber. The red-headed stepchild that is literally a red-headed stepchild.

Not sure why we wouldn’t replace them with somebody who’s at least won an NCAA tournament game, maybe someone like Farleigh Dickinson?
If they did get the boot, I would LOVE to replace them with Kansas.

Not sure the B1G would want KU since they don't bring much to the table outside of a blueblood MBB program and membership in the AAU. It's more then what Neb brings tho.

Last edited:
Go to 20! One division with the original 10 and another with the newbies. (Sorry Penn State, you're still a newbie.)

UVA is not an AAU member, so they're out.
I have been saying since the Big got to 18 teams that they will grab two more to get to 20 total. I believe they will go to 4 five team divisions which will set up a money grab round of the four division champs playing in two semi-final games and the two winners playing for the Big Champ.

Having smaller divisions will allow more teams to be in the running closer to the end of the season to keep fans interested.

I could see the final # of schools settling at 24.

TAMU/ND* in the next phase (2026 or 2027)

UNC/UVA in the phase after that, once the ACC GoR issue is put to rest (2030'ish)

Colorado/Utah in the final phase (2034) <-- these are my dark horse candidates**

*If ND holds firm and refuses to join a conference, I think Stanford would be viewed as a the probable fallback, but to me Georgia Tech makes more sense

**While I feel schools like Miami/FSU would be better in order to get a foothold into FL, something tells me that the SEC will force UF to tow the line and will do everything in their power to block any B1G move into the deep south - what they consider "their territory" - and those schools will end up in that conference.

Here's how the the four "pods" would shake out in my scenario:

WEST
Colorado, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington

MIDWEST
Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin

PHUKTITS
Indiana, Notre Dame or/TAMU, Ohio State, Michigan, MSU, Purdue

EAST
Maryland, PSU, Rutgers, TAMU or/GT, UNC, UVA

^If ND doesn't join and it's GT instead, then swap pods with them and TAMU.

Every school plays against their pod members each year with a rotation of two schools from each of the other pods. That's a total of 11 conference games, leaving just 1 non-conf game. This is how it should be when you get to a conference of this size. You can then have the mini-conference playoffs of four schools, the champ from each pod.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT