ADVERTISEMENT

The New Ivies: As Employers Sour On The Super-Elite, These 20 Colleges Shine

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007

The New Ivies: As Employers Sour On The Super-Elite, These 20 Colleges Shine​

The Ivy League is losing its standing as America’s producer of great talent. Here are the schools producing the hard-working high achievers that employers crave.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman
Yep. CSB dad brag moment:

No pic daughter will graduate from Illinois next week with a data science degree. She has a 6 figure job lined up starting in July. We paid ~120K all in for four years of in-state tuition, room and board. She was accepted to some of the “elite” schools which would have cost $300K+ and she would have landed exactly the same type of job. Yes she won’t have the same network, but that is what graduate school is for down the road.

As an Iowa undergrad and Northwestern MBA I can confidently say the ivies are over-rated.

Yep. CSB dad brag moment:

No pic daughter will graduate from Illinois next week with a data science degree. She has a 6 figure job lined up starting in July. We paid ~120K all in for four years of in-state tuition, room and board. She was accepted to some of the “elite” schools which would have cost $300K+ and she would have landed exactly the same type of job. Yes she won’t have the same network, but that is what graduate school is for down the road.

As an Iowa undergrad and Northwestern MBA I can confidently say the ivies are over-rated.

Why would Illinois have any less of a network than say, Brown or Yale?

Fairly sound list.

There are a couple places I might comment or quibble...

1. Obviously, the exclusion of CA schools, for of all reasons the lack of a test score requirement, would likely change the public list materially. I suspect you'd lose MD, maybe WI, and one more. Schools like GT, MI, NC, TX, VA are no brainers among the publics. Maryland has truly surged in the last ten years - it is way more selective than it once was, I suspect in part because a lot of the other "regional favorites" such as UVA, Georgetown, etc. have themselves become devilishly difficult to get into as demand for proximity the DMV has outpaced supply. Good on MD for capitalizing on it in a thoughtful way. VA Tech has done a good job at the same model - really raised their game, and the future grad campus next to amazon is going to be a big deal for them.
2. The private list is pretty good too, though I've always thought of BC as a bit of a pretender that is more "popular" than "elite". Georgetown is likewise overrated, but benefits from being in a place where people want to be. Hopkins is that one that everybody always forgets about, inappropriately, though it does entail being in Baltimore which is its own hell. Emory is a little bit of a sleeper too. ND students are great, but a bit of the "hold the light bulb up and let the world revolve around you" syndrome.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDallasRuss
My daughter has a soccer camp at Rice this summer. Pretty cool program instructed by the Rice soccer team, and they get to eat in the cafeteria and learn a bit about Rice. I hope it starts a little bit of an interest. Unfortunately, I think academia is going to be a bit of a struggle for her—we’ll see.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
My daughter has a soccer camp at Rice this summer. Pretty cool program instructed by the Rice soccer team, and they get to eat in the cafeteria and learn a bit about Rice. I hope it starts a little bit of an interest. Unfortunately, I think academia is going to be a bit of a struggle for her—we’ll see.

I attended a Rice football game a few years back. Stadium is old and a shell of its former self. Home of Super Bowl VIII.

I attended a Rice football game a few years back. Stadium is old and a shell of its former self. Home of Super Bowl VIII.
Yes, they have never renovated or upgraded. They did build a new baseball stadium 15-20 years ago. Still a beautiful school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT