ADVERTISEMENT

Schools to pay players directly.

obfuscating

HR Legend
Jan 8, 2016
The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players for the first time in the 100-plus-year history of college sports.

The NCAA and its leagues are moving forward with a multibillion-dollar agreement to settle three pending federal antitrust cases. The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, sources told ESPN. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.

Like the tobacco settlements from the late 90's, the costs to fund this settlement will be passed along to the consumer. Be prepared for MUCH higher ticket prices, parking fees, T-shirt prices, etc.

I think it just got a lot harder to raise money for NIL collectives. What's the justification for NIL collectives now that the players have a guaranteed revenue share?

And so it begins, again, or and so it ends.

🤡
It will only help Iowa.

Iowa can still be a developmental program while now landing a few bigger names, who otherwise would have never considered Iowa, to fill immediate holes.

The blue bloods have always landed the best talent with rare exception. That was true before NIL and it’s true today. The difference is Iowa will get to add a few more top prospects every year now.

This makes “pay-for-play” more equitable for non-blue bloods like Iowa playing in elite conferences.

None, once everything shakes out. All this is doing is shifting the burden of paying players from random third parties to the schools they actually play for. Which is, of course, how it should have worked all along.
That announcement doesn't talk about NIL. Is it gonna be over? Or will both happen?

I don't mean to imply I have any knowledge about the future of NIL, because I don't. I do hope NIL goes away or at least is somehow overhauled, because the onus should never have been on average fans to pay players.
I don’t have any inside knowledge either, but I am guessing NIL will still be a thing. I don’t know how much “average” fans have contributed to current NIL funding, but I am going to guess there will still be alumni who write big checks for the University and NIL collectives as they see fit.

Businesses will also still get in on the act methinks. I think the only question that remains is how well the NCAA regulates this “20 million dollar salary cap.” Now that everyone has pretty much conceded the concept of a student athlete has been a joke for quite some time, it will be interesting to see what type of rules and regulations the NCAA puts out there and tries to enforce. What happens, for example, if Ohio State ends up with over $30 million in money distributed to athletes for the year. What will the response from the NCAA be? Luxury tax? Scholarship restrictions (who cares when the school can just pay someone whatever to be walk-on status)? Postseason suspensions?

This is probably going to continue to be a shit show for a long time.

Like the tobacco settlements from the late 90's, the costs to fund this settlement will be passed along to the consumer. Be prepared for MUCH higher ticket prices, parking fees, T-shirt prices, etc.

I think it just got a lot harder to raise money for NIL collectives. What's the justification for NIL collectives now that the players have a guaranteed revenue share?

Markets are always going to charge what the consumer will bare. This is just a reallocation of profit from athletic departments and coaches to players. Seems equitable to me.

I think NIL will still be a factor when bidding for top players. That’s not going to change. This just puts more money into the equation.

I don’t have any inside knowledge either, but I am guessing NIL will still be a thing. I don’t know how much “average” fans have contributed to current NIL funding, but I am going to guess there will still be alumni who write big checks for the University and NIL collectives as they see fit.

Businesses will also still get in on the act methinks. I think the only question that remains is how well the NCAA regulates this “20 million dollar salary cap.” Now that everyone has pretty much conceded the concept of a student athlete has been a joke for quite some time, it will be interesting to see what type of rules and regulations the NCAA puts out there and tries to enforce. What happens, for example, if Ohio State ends up with over $30 million in money distributed to athletes for the year. What will the response from the NCAA be? Luxury tax? Scholarship restrictions (who cares when the school can just pay someone whatever to be walk-on status)? Postseason suspensions?

The easiest way for NCAA to enforce would be to take away scholarships for going over the limit. There should only be scholarship players.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
That announcement doesn't talk about NIL. Is it gonna be over? Or will both happen?
Some schools will continue with NIL or their boosters will. Still going to buy plays. Players will get money from schools and NIL. Now it may be harder for organizations like the Swarm to continue to exist. I guess that is a question for Brad.

What happens if Ohio State goes over the limit? The same thing that always happens when a blue blood gets caught cheating. A slap on the wrist....if that.

What happens if Ohio State goes over the limit? The same thing that always happens when a blue blood gets caught cheating. A slap on the wrist....if that.
‘What happens if Ohio State goes over the limit?’

Cue the tired ‘Well then Cleveland State will go on probation’ ha ha in 3…2….1

• Haha
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
I hope each team will have a "salary cap."

I hope they have contracts to pay these kids so they can't transfer all over the place.

I hope this dumbass NIL stuff goes away besides the getting paid for commercials etc. I'm talking just the bags of money they give kids to go to schools.

And now if these kids want to get paid like adults then they are treated like adults. If you aren't starting or producing by year 2 or 3 they can cut you to make room for possible new recruits.

That’s exactly what I was getting at.

This is going to be an absolute shit show moving forward. The only positive, I guess, is all teams now get the opportunity to buy players instead of just the schools in the past willing to cheat.

And the player will still chase the NIL because this payment is something everybody gets. Like books and tuition.

“Yeah Alabama is offering me the same $7000 and another $2,000,000 in private NIL money.”

Last edited:
None, once everything shakes out. All this is doing is shifting the burden of paying players from random third parties to the schools they actually play for. Which is, of course, how it should have worked all along.
And will be much better for Iowa in the long run. The school has the money but we struggle to get enough from big donors and collectives and are getting boat raced by other similar schools.

How does the NCAA pass any cost onto the schools?

So, do the players now become employees? They are being paid by the schools, just like a coach, janitor, or grounds crew.

Again, just turn it into semi-pro and be done already.

Reactions: BurgHawk87

It better be coming from tv revenue.

Which makes it pointless. It’s like the school went out of their way to cut their own internal spending budgets because now they have to use some of that to pay players.
It maybe keeps the lawyers away. Only that will be for a while though and not forever.

Anybody paying attention knew revenue sharing was coming 2 years ago. Why is anyone surprised that payments to current players could start as soon as the fall of 2025?

I posted the latest developments yesterday and today in this thread:

Anybody paying attention knew revenue sharing was coming 2 years ago.

Payments to current players could start as soon as the fall of 2025.

I posted the latest developments yesterday and today.

No clause for paying fans?!?!??! We need to SUE the NCAA!

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT