ADVERTISEMENT

Schools to pay players directly.

NIL can still be used by top athletes like a Caitlin Clark to make more money. And NIL will still be used by the big money NIL collectives to lure and buy the really top recruits.

Overall, I agree. The individual big money deals will stick around as long as there are popular athletes. And corporate collectives will stick around so long as the people owning those corporations want to make sure their favorite school wins.

But I think the "fan-base" collectives are probably toast now. I think a key part of the justification for these was "the poor athletes even don't get a share of the revenue, so help them out". Now that the athletes are getting a piece of the pie, people won't want to hand over extra money to these kids who, in many cases, are making more money than them.

Reactions: iowaathletes
Overall, I agree. The individual big money deals will stick around as long as there are popular athletes. And corporate collectives will stick around so long as the people owning those corporations want to make sure their favorite school wins.

But I think the "fan-base" collectives are probably toast now. I think a key part of the justification for these was "the poor athletes even don't get a share of the revenue, so help them out". Now that the athletes are getting a piece of the pie, people won't want to hand over extra money to these kids who, in many cases, are making more money than them.
I doubt it. The good ole boys in the SEC and big ten studs will still pump money into their collectives because that is what separates the michigans Ohio states and Bamas from “the rest”.

Reactions: chuck285
If I'm the schools, i make every athlete a commission only employee. Get paid by what you produce.
Don't know how you'd begin to measure that. By sport, maybe. You have ticket sales and TV money. Individual players would be nearly impossible.

Haven’t read the whole thread so this may have already been discussed. Question: doesn’t this make scholarship limits irrelevant? D1 schools can give out 85 football schollies and then pay 50 more with university money equivalent to what scholarship recipients get. No limit now?

It's a business.

commodity-trading-usa-one-dollar-banknote-over-harvested-corn-kernels-141092838.jpg

Well, if nothing else, unless they are absolute studs and don't get injured while in their first & only year of college, this means we will be seeing a lot less of the '1 (or 2) & dones' and other players looking to leave for the pros as early as possible just to get paid.

Considering how much revenue the university gets, with Iowa being in top 25, wouldn't this be a good thing for us? We can finally skip all the tip toeing and just use the money we're sitting on to entice players to come. I'll admit I don't know all the rules and stipulations, though.

Considering how much revenue the university gets, with Iowa being in top 25, wouldn't this be a good thing for us? We can finally skip all the tip toeing and just use the money we're sitting on to entice players to come. I'll admit I don't know all the rules and stipulations, though.
I was kind of expecting that too but they set the salary cap fairly low and half will go to the women. So I think Iowa will pay the football team a similar amount to Big12 and ACC teams and the difference will be that we have a baseball team and those other schools will cut sports to the bare minimum. If we want to outspend the other schools it will have to be through the Swarm and NIL. For example I was reading an article that the $22m salary cap is 8% of Ohio State’s revenues but obviously much higher for other schools.

Obviously all speculation on my part but that’s how it seems to me so far.

Also here’s a link to the article I mentioned if anyone is interested.

Like the tobacco settlements from the late 90's, the costs to fund this settlement will be passed along to the consumer. Be prepared for MUCH higher ticket prices, parking fees, T-shirt prices, etc.

I think it just got a lot harder to raise money for NIL collectives. What's the justification for NIL collectives now that the players have a guaranteed revenue share?
Gotta hand it to the cartels ... took down tobacco knowing Americans would be stupid enough to replace it with smokable THC.
"It's good to have an entire population addicted to hallucinogens, much easier to sell them on serfdom." Oligarchs Inc.

Does the money that will go to athletes mean men's football or any athletic team the school carry's?
I'm thinking of women's sports also?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT