ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Dochterman likes the Tim Lester hire (Podcasts w/ Leistikow from Feb 1 & Feb 7)

This Venn diagram has a third circle, the “This is Kirk’s offense and always has been!” crowd. Somehow, they can watch 25 years of Iowa Football and think each and every year is the same scheme, plays, etc.

Yeah no shit

Lester has a LOT of experience using 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 Tight Ends).

An Iowa offense looking like a Kyle Shananhan/49'ers offense??? Sign us up!

Good discussion here.

Any word on WR coach?
It seems to be a foregone conclusion from everyone that it’s going to be Budmayr.

I am on record that I think this will be a missed opportunity, and I stand by that position.

That said, I am comforted somewhat by Lester’s strong track record in developing WRs as a HC. I know Lester will primarily be working with QBs, but I think as the direct supervisor for our WR coach, Lester will able to be able to provide much better input and direction than our last OC was able to.

In other words, I think Lester/Bud will result in better WR play than Brian/Copeland did.

It seems to be a foregone conclusion from everyone that it’s going to be Budmayr.

I am on record that I think this will be a missed opportunity, and I stand by that position.

That said, I am comforted somewhat by Lester’s strong track record in developing WRs as a HC. I know Lester will primarily be working with QBs, but I think as the direct supervisor for our WR coach, Lester will able to be able to provide much better input and direction than our last OC was able to.

In other words, I think Lester/Bud will result in better WR play than Brian/Copeland did.
It has been rumored that JB is it. Then again, there were rumors for Chrsyt, Philbin, etc.

I hope they go get a proven WR coach/recruiter.

I would love to have KF list off Budmayr's accomplishments at Iowa. The offense got worse. He brought in Deacon Hill.
People seem to have an issue with it, but he is a big reason why we have McNamara too.

I’m putting that one in the win box for him. I think we’ll be pretty happy with that one before it’s over.

Reactions: Franisdaman
People seem to have an issue with it, but he is a big reason why we have McNamara too.

I’m putting that one in the win box for him. I think we’ll be pretty happy with that one before it’s over.
i find it hard to believe mcnamara came here because of the gift. chances are the admin assistant could’ve made him the nil offer on behalf of kf and he would’ve come

i find it hard to believe mcnamara came here because of the gift. chances are the admin assistant could’ve made him the nil offer on behalf of kf and he would’ve come
That was allegedly the connection. Budmayr recruited Cade when he was at Wisconsin, and the McNamaras really liked Budmayr. It’s not like it’s secret info.

You don’t have to believe it. That’s fine.

Be prepared for the ‘we know he was hurt, Iowa offense … but he was a 51.1% passer at Iowa’ crowd to chime in

Be prepared for the ‘we know he was hurt, Iowa offense … but he was a 51.1% passer at Iowa’ crowd to chime in
Yeah, as I said, people seem to have an issue with it. Those are the people.

It’s been said more than once, but I do remember the guy playing at Michigan. He’s pretty good. Maybe we’ll never see it again, but I’m excited to find out.

Reactions: AlvySinger
I think it has to be posted for certain amount of time.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.

The OC position was posted Dec 13.

The WR position was posted Jan 16 and is still open on the UI Athletics website: Iowa AC / WR Job Posting

My feeling, solely based on timing of all of this, is that Bud isn't a slam dunk and there may be an assistant or two who just finished coaching in the Super Bowl.

Think quality control or 2nd level assistant who has experience with WRs and Shannahan's offensive concepts and would fit well with Lester's teaching.

Not sure Bud's experiences or strengths align with Lester.

JMO

Unfortunately, his best years are behind him. He will be serviceable this Fall (if his knee recovers), but he is 1 cut away from his knees blowing out again. No fault of his, just part of the sport.

His body of work peaked in his Sophomore year at UM, then has taken a sharp nosedive (yes, injuries played a part in that).

JB's credit for CM was absolutely obliterated by his wooing of DH to Iowa. They didn't cancel each other out, it was an epic failure.

Unfortunately, his best years are behind him. He will be serviceable this Fall (if his knee recovers), but he is 1 cut away from his knees blowing out again. No fault of his, just part of the sport.

His body of work peaked in his Sophomore year at UM, then has taken a sharp nosedive (yes, injuries played a part in that).

JB's credit for CM was absolutely obliterated by his wooing of DH to Iowa. They didn't cancel each other out, it was an epic failure.

He will likely be fully healed. He might reinjure, but he should be physically in good shape. Maybe there will be a mental fear of reinjury?

You speak in absolutes about things that may or may not happen, as if guys who tear the ACL are bound to do it again. That is far from the case. This isn’t 1978.

I am not super excited about Lester (like most), but actually hearing BG say that the hiring process went well gives me a sliver of hope...if TL can help cherry pick some talent in IL, coach up the QB position, and just call an average game - then I am onboard. Let's face it the bar has been set so low, that I think most fans will be giddy over a few 10-15 yard completions....:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT