ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Lester Comments as Iowa OC

Drinkin Buddy

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2015
Hiawatha
From radio interview with Dolph last night:

“Even some of the wide-open spread offenses that you see across the country, make no mistake about it, they run the ball,” Lester said. “So, we have to find ways to run the ball. It’s exciting because of the success they've had in running the ball. Our job is to make sure that running game turns into explosive plays. One leads to the other. We’ll have a system of running the ball first and then making sure that we have a chance to be explosive offensively.”

“I think a 50-50 split is the goal,” Lester, who will turn 47 this week, said. “But … I’ve been calling games since I got out of playing. I’ve called games with 70 passes, and I’ve called games with 70 runs. So you really have to be able to adjust. The plan is always 50-50."

“You never abandon anything. You’ve got to have both. Having one thing in this day and age in college football, as good as these defenses are, you have to be efficient in everything. And I think that’s something we have a chance to be really good at.”

“Obviously, I just spent last year in Green Bay and running one of the multiple variations of (Kyle) Shanahan's offense,” Lester said. “You see it all over the NFL right now, and they all run it a little differently. But the DNA is the same of running the ball, creating explosive pass plays. And hopefully if you’re doing that, people want to come be a part of that.

“There’s probably a 70% chance if (college players) get to play on Sundays, they're going to be running a version of the same (Shanahan offense). Every year, there's a couple more offenses that are running a version of it. So, hopefully that’ll help people want to be here and we’ll have fun when they get here.”

“I think the biggest thing is you want people that want to be here, as a head coach, as an offensive coordinator,” Lester said. “But you’ve got to be able to put a product out there that people want to be a part of. That’s important.”

Comments from Kirk on Lester:

“Tim just really impressed all of us, I think, with his thoughts about offense. Just his personality. I think the fact that he’s been a head coach … was certainly beneficial. I think he appreciates and understands how much goes into winning a football game, and how many different people and segments are involved. I feel really good about it.”

Notes: Lester turned down an opportunity to be an NFL QB Coach next season to take the Iowa OC job. His introductory press conference will be held this upcoming Tuesday.

Hear that Jimmy and Joe?

“There’s probably a 70% chance if (college players) get to play on Sundays, they're going to be running a version of the same (Shanahan offense). Every year, there's a couple more offenses that are running a version of it. So, hopefully that’ll help people want to be here and we’ll have fun when they get here.”

Hear that Jimmy and Joe?

Prove it on the field and more players will want to sign up to play for you.

No wide receiver with any real P5 options is going to come to Iowa to be a glorified blocker and decoy for TE screens and FB 1 yard outs.

I hope the O sees significant changes.

It needs to be reformed and updated.

When I saw a lackluster hired, I assumed KF found his yes man, and his stranglehold on the O is what drove the top candidates away.

Please prove me wrong!!!
Yeah, it’s hard to find a lot of room for optimism when the head coach is a dinosaur and states the role of offense is to support the defense.

I’m with you: prove everyone wrong.

If anything i hope we actually attack a defense weakness for once.

We read/hear how the upcoming opponent is horrible against pass/run and Iowa comes out and does what they always do

Run, run, pass, punt

Then completely abandon all reason and logic.

And please stop with the hockey line changes for running backs.

Reactions: Bones Malone
Meanwhile the guy Lester beat out was not chosen to move to Texas A&M by his Duke head coach and remains unemployed.
Wasn't selected to be interim head coach for Duke's bowl game. Nor was he asked to move with Memphis' head coach when he moved up.

I hope the O sees significant changes.

It needs to be reformed and updated.

When I saw a lackluster hired, I assumed KF found his yes man, and his stranglehold on the O is what drove the top candidates away.

Please prove me wrong!!!
Tim Lester will quickly be the ex-Iowa OC if he does things with the offense not sanctioned by Kirk Ferentz.

The fact that you drink coors say a little bit about you. Might as well drink water. Turned down an NFL QB coaching position to come to Iowa. That says something.
I think it for sure says that Offensive coordinator looks better on a resume than QB coach. OC probably pays better as well. Also, as long as he runs KF’s offense as instructed he’s got excellent job security.

Agreed on Coors.

Reactions: Bierhalter
If he's actually going to implement a variation of the Shanahan style offense, then it will look light years better than BF's throw a dart at a playbook offensive scheme.

I just want to watch an offensive scheme with a ****ing sense of cohesion. That's what drove me the craziest watching Iowa the last few years, nothing set up anything else offensively. They'd run a jet sweep motion but not snap the ball until the motion guy was 2 yards past the QB. WTF good does that do? Now they know that he's not a threat to receive the ball. They were so bad at misdirecting the defense.

We'd get some momentum running the ball by getting out of the zone blocking scheme and starting to pull and trap. Then the next play we're in empty back shotgun with the most unathletic QB in P5 football.

Our offense was beyond a shitshow, and I cannot imagine it could possibly get any worse.

I'm willing to give Lester a shot if he can, at the very least, get the offensive side of the ball to modernize and execute an actual scheme.

Last edited:
Tim Lester will quickly be the ex-Iowa OC if he does things with the offense not sanctioned by Kirk Ferentz.
Green Bay and LaFleur, and Shanahan with 49ers use zone blocking, not sure the %age of time but they use it. When Goff and the Rams went to the super bowl their coach used mostly zone blocking and ABlythe was their starting center.

I think the main thing that Lester will do will be to scratch where it itches; he has already said it, and watching some people go over his WMU offense it is basically a numbers game. They line up much the same most plays and then they run a play, some RPO in it, based on how many defenders are in the box and where the linebackers are. If the defense has 7 in the box with Lbkrs in tight they will throw it to the sideline or to a back racing out of the backfield toward the side. If 5 or six in the box they run it, maybe even on 3rd and 5-7

Regardless, Lester is right about running the football. If you can’t run the football in the Big Ten, you aren’t going to be very successful.

Technically Purdue got to the Big Ten Championship game by tossing the ball all over the place.

Yeah, it’s hard to find a lot of room for optimism when the head coach is a dinosaur and states the role of offense is to support the defense.

I’m with you: prove everyone wrong.
OTOH, KF’s comments didn’t say much about the actual offense, which strangely gives me confidence he will let Lester do what he wants, as long as it doesn’t result in tons of TO’s, and doesn’t keep the D on the field too much (both obvious, and also not saying very much)

I’m cautiously optimistic

I’m pretty sure Iowa got into a conference championship by others losing too. Its kinda how this whole thing works.
Your are right but it wasnt like Purdue went undefeated that year and blew away the competiton

iirc, Iowa blew purdue out of the water at WL, IN

Regardless, Lester is right about running the football. If you can’t run the football in the Big Ten, you aren’t going to be very successful.
Our issue has been more our inability to PASS has created extra headwinds for our running game as defenses have consistently loaded the box. And also trotting out QB’s with little to zero running threat AND below average O lines have not helped.

Your are right but it wasnt like Purdue went undefeated that year and blew away the competiton

iirc, Iowa blew purdue out of the water at WL, IN

When did Iowa blow someone out of the water the last couple years? All I can think of was dropping like 41 against Western Michigan

When did Iowa blow someone out of the water the last couple years? All I can think of was dropping like 41 against Western Michigan

No. 5 Iowa forces 7 turnovers in 51-14 rout of Maryland​

Ahead on NW 33-7 and NW threw a TD pass on the final play to end the game.

Iowa beat Purdue at PU 24-3 early Nov 2022. And it wasnt even close. The hawk defense stuffed PU passing game all day, Charley Jones and Tyrone Tracy included. Hawks had 17 points at halftime then ....

Kaleb Johnson bolted 75 yards on the first series of the second half to make it 24-0 or 24-3. After that Kirk put the offense in the deep freeze, tory taylor kept punting purdue back to their own end and they couldnt move the ball. That was a blowout in the big 10 for a Kirk team especially a team he has had trouble beating

Iowa beat Purdue at PU 24-3 early Nov 2022. And it wasnt even close. The hawk defense stuffed PU passing game all day, Charley Jones and Tyrone Tracy included. Hawks had 17 points at halftime then ....

Kaleb Johnson bolted 75 yards on the first series of the second half to make it 24-0 or 24-3. After that Kirk put the offense in the deep freeze, tory taylor kept punting purdue back to their own end and they couldnt move the ball. That was a blowout in the big 10 for a Kirk team especially a team he has had trouble beating

Didn’t Jones have close to 100 yards that game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT