ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Lester Comments as Iowa OC

“I think a 50-50 split is the goal,” Lester, who will turn 47 this week, said. “But … I’ve been calling games since I got out of playing. I’ve called games with 70 passes, and I’ve called games with 70 runs. So you really have to be able to adjust. The plan is always 50-50."

I like the fact that he recognizes that you have to be able to adjust in-game, as opposed to continuously trying to pound a square peg into a round hole even if it isn't working.

How many times over the last few years did you hear a commentator say about Iowa during the game: "They know who they are". I've always found that annoying in a certain way, because that comes across as "This is what we're going to do, hell or high water", or even worse, "This is all that we CAN do".

That has always drove me nuts about Iowa O. It is pure arrogance to just go out and execute better. The other team also has D1 athletes too. What amazes me the most about Brian is New England was the best at identifying what the other team was weak at and exploiting it over and over and over again. I'm honestly not sure that Brian could be a successful play-caller at a HS level.

Are you Lester's dad?

Nope. But I'm smart enough to know that Tim Lester was fired by a first year AD who didn't hire him and looked to put his stamp on the program while elevating his own stature at WMU.

Tim having one losing season gave the AD all he needed to make the change.

It's not unique in college athletics, as ADs look to make their mark and prove their worth, but context matters when you talk about people getting fired, especially in the coaching profession.

Nope. But I'm smart enough to know that Tim Lester was fired by a first year AD who didn't hire him and looked to put his stamp on the program while elevating his own stature at WMU.

Tim having one losing season gave the AD all he needed to make the change.

It's not unique in college athletics, as ADs look to make their mark and prove their worth, but context matters when you talk about people getting fired, especially in the coaching profession.
That's one deal. Where has he coached lights out??

From radio interview with Dolph last night:

“Even some of the wide-open spread offenses that you see across the country, make no mistake about it, they run the ball,” Lester said. “So, we have to find ways to run the ball. It’s exciting because of the success they've had in running the ball. Our job is to make sure that running game turns into explosive plays. One leads to the other. We’ll have a system of running the ball first and then making sure that we have a chance to be explosive offensively.”

“I think a 50-50 split is the goal,” Lester, who will turn 47 this week, said. “But … I’ve been calling games since I got out of playing. I’ve called games with 70 passes, and I’ve called games with 70 runs. So you really have to be able to adjust. The plan is always 50-50."

“You never abandon anything. You’ve got to have both. Having one thing in this day and age in college football, as good as these defenses are, you have to be efficient in everything. And I think that’s something we have a chance to be really good at.”

“Obviously, I just spent last year in Green Bay and running one of the multiple variations of (Kyle) Shanahan's offense,” Lester said. “You see it all over the NFL right now, and they all run it a little differently. But the DNA is the same of running the ball, creating explosive pass plays. And hopefully if you’re doing that, people want to come be a part of that.

“There’s probably a 70% chance if (college players) get to play on Sundays, they're going to be running a version of the same (Shanahan offense). Every year, there's a couple more offenses that are running a version of it. So, hopefully that’ll help people want to be here and we’ll have fun when they get here.”

“I think the biggest thing is you want people that want to be here, as a head coach, as an offensive coordinator,” Lester said. “But you’ve got to be able to put a product out there that people want to be a part of. That’s important.”

Comments from Kirk on Lester:

“Tim just really impressed all of us, I think, with his thoughts about offense. Just his personality. I think the fact that he’s been a head coach … was certainly beneficial. I think he appreciates and understands how much goes into winning a football game, and how many different people and segments are involved. I feel really good about it.”

Notes: Lester turned down an opportunity to be an NFL QB Coach next season to take the Iowa OC job. His introductory press conference will be held this upcoming Tuesday.
This does not impress me as moving Kirk's offense one bit. More of the same, except now the OC's last name isn't the same as the head coach's.

From radio interview with Dolph last night:

“Even some of the wide-open spread offenses that you see across the country, make no mistake about it, they run the ball,” Lester said. “So, we have to find ways to run the ball. It’s exciting because of the success they've had in running the ball. Our job is to make sure that running game turns into explosive plays. One leads to the other. We’ll have a system of running the ball first and then making sure that we have a chance to be explosive offensively.”

“You never abandon anything. You’ve got to have both. Having one thing in this day and age in college football, as good as these defenses are, you have to be efficient in everything. And I think that’s something we have a chance to be really good at.”

“Obviously, I just spent last year in Green Bay and running one of the multiple variations of (Kyle) Shanahan's offense,” Lester said. “You see it all over the NFL right now, and they all run it a little differently. But the DNA is the same of running the ball, creating explosive pass plays. And hopefully if you’re doing that, people want to come be a part of that.

“There’s probably a 70% chance if (college players) get to play on Sundays, they're going to be running a version of the same (Shanahan offense). Every year, there's a couple more offenses that are running a version of it. So, hopefully that’ll help people want to be here and we’ll have fun when they get here.”

“I think the biggest thing is you want people that want to be here, as a head coach, as an offensive coordinator,” Lester said. “But you’ve got to be able to put a product out there that people want to be a part of. That’s important.”

Comments from Kirk on Lester:

“Tim just really impressed all of us, I think, with his thoughts about offense. Just his personality. I think the fact that he’s been a head coach … was certainly beneficial. I think he appreciates and understands how much goes into winning a football game, and how many different people and segments are involved. I feel really good about it.”

Notes: Lester turned down an opportunity to be an NFL QB Coach next season to take the Iowa OC job. His introductory press conference will be held this upcoming Tuesday.

Other than knowing how this board is I’m still a bit baffled by the incredible fallout we had on this board over this guy. I mean honestly, like the other guy (who was Pooh-poohed by many) was so significantly better…

He sounds good and working with LaFleur can’t hurt…

We get closer and closer to Nebraska fans everyday.

his offense at wmu was outstanding (top 40) for several years in a row and only his last year was a flop i believe after nil decimation. at syracuse his O improved by 45 spots in a year. chances are he is going to be a good oc for iowa.
Outstanding = top 40? lol Is that you, Focker?

Holy shit.

Looking at the stats for just that game, one could have mistakenly confused Spencer Petras for an actually decent P5 QB.

happy-new.gif
Petras hit Woodson for a 10 yarder over the middle and TylerG juked two defenders to turn it into about a 50 yard TD. And there were probably a few other passes that got extra yardage. Petras was pretty good when he wasnt rushed and harried all over the pocket.

Reactions: F5n5 and cmhawks99
Out of 132…..yeah that’s pretty good actually
Do yourself a favor and just ignore Here 4 a Day, who has proven him/her/itself to be an ass clown in the circus of life.

21 people responded to my comment about the comment (#3 on this thread) regarding Tim getting fired as being trolling BS.

20 of them liked. 1 laughed.

Who do you think laughed?

Yep. The ass clown, Here 4 a Day.

Forewarned is forarmed.

Do yourself a favor and just ignore Here 4 a Day, who has proven him/her/itself to be an ass clown in the circus of life.

21 people responded to my comment about the comment (#3 on this thread) regarding Tim getting fired as being trolling BS.

20 of them liked. 1 laughed.

Who do you think laughed?

Yep. The ass clown, Here 4 a Day.

Forewarned is forarmed.
Any your still crying about it, hey, fat boy?

Maybe, but I know they don't give medals for 40th place in anything....not yet anyway. Maybe a nice, pink, participation ribbon!!
That would be about 90 spots better than where we finished in the offensive rankings. While no medals would be given for that alone, what it would mean is that we have a somewhat competent and effective offense…which means we would have had a punchers chance against teams like PSU, Michigan and Tenn. and likely cruised against the boat rower and other cupcakes.

Reactions: uihawk82
This is classic straw man stuff. Nobody is suggesting a solid run game isn't important. It is.

Running into a 9 man front repeatedly, audible into the short side stretch when everyone in the stadium knows what's coming, being content with running a few minutes off the clock before you punt because it's "ball control" and NOT developing an effective passing attack is what we're talking about. Maybe things will shift this fall...but KFz's comments (and Lester's to some degree) don't seem to indicate that.

his offense at wmu was outstanding (top 40) for several years in a row and only his last year was a flop i believe after nil decimation. at syracuse his O improved by 45 spots in a year. chances are he is going to be a good oc for iowa.
Count me in as a guy that wasn’t excited and was actually irritated by the hire. I have since become much more optimistic. He and Lafleur are old friends and teammates so I hope that comfort allowed him to pick his brain a little more. Spring football can’t come quick enough.

Last edited:
Count me in as a guy that wasn’t not excited and was actually irritated by the hire. I have since become much more optimistic. He and Lafleur are old friends and teammates so I hope that comfort allowed him to pick his brain a little more. Spring football can’t come quick enough.
yeah i was apoplectic at first also particularly in light of passing on Johns but now am pretty optimistic after taking a closer look.

Brommelkamp made it sound like there is a presser today and Lester will talk. Anyone else see or hear that?

Edit: Presser at 1:30pm CST today.

Reactions: Niko13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT