ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Lester Comments as Iowa OC

If he's actually going to implement a variation of the Shanahan style offense, then it will look light years better than BF's throw a dart at a playbook offensive scheme.

I just want to watch an offensive scheme with a ****ing sense of cohesion. That's what drove me the craziest watching Iowa the last few years, nothing set up anything else offensively.

We'd get some momentum running the ball by getting out of the zone blocking scheme and starting to pull and trap. Then the next play we're in empty back shotgun with the most unathletic QB in P5 football.
This a billion times

It made no sense. Momentum is established and the OL seems to be clicking with their run blocking……then it’s complete upside down world with the empty set

Hey we just ran it down your throats and have you reeling….we’re sorry!!! Here’s a breather knowing we are gonna throw a ****ing 3 yard out pass and our OL now have to reverse their energy to try and block for a guy who cannot move

If he's actually going to implement a variation of the Shanahan style offense, then it will look light years better than BF's throw a dart at a playbook offensive scheme.

I just want to watch an offensive scheme with a ****ing sense of cohesion. That's what drove me the craziest watching Iowa the last few years, nothing set up anything else offensively. They'd run a jet sweep motion but not snap the ball until the motion guy was 2 yards past the QB. WTF good does that do? Now they know that he's not a threat to receive the ball. They were so bad at misdirecting the defense.

We'd get some momentum running the ball by getting out of the zone blocking scheme and starting to pull and trap. Then the next play we're in empty back shotgun with the most unathletic QB in P5 football.

Our offense was beyond a shitshow, and I cannot imagine it could possibly get any worse.

I'm willing to give Lester a shot if he can, at the very least, get the offensive side of the ball to modernize and execute an actual scheme.
It shows the QB whether the defense is zone or man

OTOH, KF’s comments didn’t say much about the actual offense, which strangely gives me confidence he will let Lester do what he wants, as long as it doesn’t result in tons of TO’s, and doesn’t keep the D on the field too much (both obvious, and also not saying very much)

I’m cautiously optimistic
Why should Lester be held to a different standard than his own son was?

Reactions: Hendy hawk
It shows the QB whether the defense is zone or man

That's just motion. WR Motion can be an indicator of zone or man. I'm specifically talking about the formation they ran the jet sweep out of. If you're an offense that utilizes the jet sweep, you should have plays that work off of that. If your coaching is so bad that your timing is to the point where the motion man is so far beyond the QB that they can't get the football in that formation, then you have no scheme.

Iowa has had no scheme under BF, it just felt like random play calling.

You mean college football HOFer Kirk Ferentz and the Iowa Hawkeyes
How is he going to be HOF? He does not qualify today. Unless you are saying he will win enough from a percentage standpoint to push him over. But for now he does not qualify.

Reactions: DewHawk
Correct and he does not qualify right now to begin with.
Don’t get me wrong I would love to see him make it but he’s not there yet and recently we are getting beat up by the good teams on our schedule.

How is he going to be HOF? He does not qualify today. Unless you are saying he will win enough from a percentage standpoint to push him over. But for now he does not qualify.
Hayden Fry was inducted into the CFB HOF with a .564 career winning percentage.

Not saying Kirk will get in if he's under the modern threshold of .600, but it's been done before.

Obviously, Hayden had a much richer history than Kirk himself can point to.

If anything i hope we actually attack a defense weakness for once.

We read/hear how the upcoming opponent is horrible against pass/run and Iowa comes out and does what they always do

Run, run, pass, punt

Then completely abandon all reason and logic.

And please stop with the hockey line changes for running backs.
"Run, run, pass, punt." Lmao. Not even close to accurate. Nowhere near

Is Kirk a slam dunk for the HOF?

You don’t seriously believe Iowa belonged on the same field with Michigan the two BTCGs they played?

Um, yeah I’m nearly positive he gets in. Someone in one of these threads said that the threshold was 60% winning percentage. I’m pretty sure he’s right on the brink of that now. It’s definitely going to be more difficult but we usually play 2 tomato cans and Iowa St in the non con.

Edit: He’ll no, we didn’t deserve to get in. The Big Ten West is just weak, tallest midget type of thing…

I think he will eventually win enough to get in.

The fact that you drink coors say a little bit about you. Might as well drink water. Turned down an NFL QB coaching position to come to Iowa. That says something.
Not with you on the beer thing. My son likes peppermint my daughter doesn't. Not sure I can get much insight from it.

Lester should feel giddy like a kid in a candy shop. He's making some good coin here at Iowa and they're handing him the keys to a Ferrari telling him to take it out on the track for a spin.

I expect big things moving forward.

Lester should feel giddy like a kid in a candy shop. He's making some good coin here at Iowa and they're handing him the keys to a Ferrari telling him to take it out on the track for a spin.
More like giving him the keys to a 2004 Chevy Caprice and telling him it needs a new engine, transmission and it only has an AM radio, needs a converter...

More like giving him the keys to a 2004 Chevy Caprice and telling him it needs a new engine, transmission and it only has an AM radio, needs a converter...
too harsh. lester’s gotten keys to a capable camaro previously owned by a little old lady who let the tires deteriorate via disuse

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Holy shit.

Looking at the stats for just that game, one could have mistakenly confused Spencer Petras for an actually decent P5 QB.

happy-new.gif

“I think a 50-50 split is the goal,” Lester, who will turn 47 this week, said. “But … I’ve been calling games since I got out of playing. I’ve called games with 70 passes, and I’ve called games with 70 runs. So you really have to be able to adjust. The plan is always 50-50."

I like the fact that he recognizes that you have to be able to adjust in-game, as opposed to continuously trying to pound a square peg into a round hole even if it isn't working.

How many times over the last few years did you hear a commentator say about Iowa during the game: "They know who they are". I've always found that annoying in a certain way, because that comes across as "This is what we're going to do, hell or high water", or even worse, "This is all that we CAN do".

Why do we have the only coach on the face of the earth that views moving the ball offensively as a drawback to winning? I mean if you really break down his comments and thought process. That's exactly what he's saying. That's insane!

Almost every coach has been fired at some point.
True, but you have to admit that people probably would have felt better about the hire if he was a hot/highly sought after coach….by all accounts he was not. Now, if it came down to our budget-then there may be some truth to that.😎

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT