ADVERTISEMENT

scotus cert grant...

Aardvark86

HR Heisman
Jan 23, 2018
Today scotus granted cert in an interesting trademark/first amendment case which will surely get people worked up for all of the wrong reasons. Basically, federal law prohibits trademarking things that involve a president's name during their lifetime or that of their widow, without their consent. Petitioner sought mark for some sort of "trump sucks" slogan, which was denied per the law. Federal circuit reversed on first amendment grounds.

While that actually sounds intuitively right at first blush, the "technical" question is a little more subtle - ie, is the congressionally directed limitation on conferring a benefit (ie the mark) actually a regulation of speech, or just a refusal to confer the benefit. And if the latter, does it matter?

Interestingly, the appeal was brought by the current SG. I guess they're worried about future 'biden sucks' slogans. (I kid, I kid.)

Today scotus granted cert in an interesting trademark/first amendment case which will surely get people worked up for all of the wrong reasons. Basically, federal law prohibits trademarking things that involve a president's name during their lifetime or that of their widow, without their consent. Petitioner sought mark for some sort of "trump sucks" slogan, which was denied per the law. Federal circuit reversed on first amendment grounds.

While that actually sounds intuitively right at first blush, the "technical" question is a little more subtle - ie, is the congressionally directed limitation on conferring a benefit (ie the mark) actually a regulation of speech, or just a refusal to confer the benefit. And if the latter, does it matter?

Interestingly, the appeal was brought by the current SG. I guess they're worried about future 'biden sucks' slogans. (I kid, I kid.)

I thought we settled this issue with The Slants case. I will never understand some Court cert grants.

Several Circuit splits on IP issues - embedded photos, Latham Act materiality, etc. - and we get this?

Reactions: Aardvark86
I thought we settled this issue with The Slants case. I will never understand some Court cert grants.

Several Circuit splits on IP issues - embedded photos, Latham Act materiality, etc. - and we get this?
I guess this is unique to the presidential context, where 1A considerations are even stronger.

So can someone sell Trump/Biden flags without giving them a cut? I guess I don’t understand where the 1st amendment thing comes in. They aren’t restricting anything except a copyright.

I think Trump is unique with this, since the term "trump" is used in other contexts than the name Trump.

trump card, trumped up, she just had to trump him by doing x...

If you've ever been trumped in a card game you could very well say "trump sucks!" and still wholeheartedly be a MAGA warrior.

I think it should be allowed, for all those card players who have been trumped and are still upset about it.

There's no use for the term Biden outside of the Biden family.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Trump too small
Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Or maybe that's 3 of one, quarter dozen of the other under the circumstances.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT