ADVERTISEMENT

Seeding for Big 10 Tourny

Abro1975

HR Heisman
Nov 21, 2009
Rutgers fan here. I'm curious how the Big 10 does their seeding for the tourny? thanks.

Coaches submit their rankings of all wrestlers, that data is compiled, then coaches can make any greviences over any injustice they feel occurred.

Thanks !
Originally posted by grappler6:
Coaches submit their rankings of all wrestlers, that data is compiled, then coaches can make any greviences over any injustice they feel occurred.

Blackshoediarys has projected brackets up. He makes some interesting predictions. Also, where do we think Kelly is at with qualifying standards?

bsd predictions

Originally posted by Vallholl:
Blackshoediarys has projected brackets up.  He makes some interesting predictions.  Also, where do we think Kelly is at with qualifying standards?

Link: bsd predictions[/URL]
Looking at these predicted qualifiers (saying they are accurate) Kelly will have to wrestle above seed. He can do it, just hoping the Hawks qualify all 10
Posted from Rivals Mobile

He's on crack with some of those. No chance Cory Clark is the 8 - hell, he's ranked no lower than 6 in most NATIONAL rankings. 6 is the lowest he would go at the B1Gs and he has a chance to move up based on this weekend's performance and the matchups he gets. Taylor won't be the 2 either based on his schedule. Wisconsin has wrestled a super weak conference schedule and his head to head matchups are limited. The only top tier guy he's wrestled is Richards. His only other decent win is over Jarrod Garnett at the Midlands.

And Telford at 4?? Okay. He's beat Medberry in their only head to head this year and has a split with McMullan.

Again, these are a bit silly in a couple of spots.

Originally posted by Big Fall:
He's on crack with some of those. No chance Cory Clark is the 8 - hell, he's ranked no lower than 6 in most NATIONAL rankings. 6 is the lowest he would go at the B1Gs and he has a chance to move up based on this weekend's performance and the matchups he gets. Taylor won't be the 2 either based on his schedule. Wisconsin has wrestled a super weak conference schedule and his head to head matchups are limited. The only top tier guy he's wrestled is Richards. His only other decent win is over Jarrod Garnett at the Midlands.

And Telford at 4?? Okay. He's beat Medberry in their only head to head this year and has a split with McMullan.

To be fair - it appears as though he ranked them almost exclusively on conference dual records. While there will be some movements from these, its at least a good place to start the conversation.

Originally posted by Big Fall:

B1G seedings are based primarily on records in B1G duals, followed by B1G opponents, followed by past season accomplishments.

You might think he is on crack, but he's probably not too far off with them. B1G seedings don't go by national rankings. Taylor is going to be a very high seed at B1Gs, much higher than Clark.

I think he is low on the NCAA allocation numbers, a couple weights are very conservative and I think the B1G is going to hit levels not yet seen with qualifiers this year.

was thinking the same thing... I like Telford's chances better against Medbury than McM or Coon

but Clark at #8 is ridiculous... how can a guy who's been #4 or 5 nationally most of the season be #8 seed in B1G??

Originally posted by JonesHawk125:
I would love for Telford to get 4 seed and Medbury #1 w/ McMullen and Coon on bottom half.

Originally posted by bammhawk1:
Originally posted by Vallholl:
Blackshoediarys has projected brackets up. Â He makes some interesting predictions. Â Also, where do we think Kelly is at with qualifying standards?

Link: bsd predictions
Looking at these predicted qualifiers (saying they are accurate) Kelly will have to wrestle above seed. He can do it, just hoping the Hawks qualify all 10
I think Kelly is going to end up qualifying up a spot. He is going to meet the standard in Coaches, should be qualified for RPI by the time the allocations come out and may even be OK with winning percentage (SHP will probably be estimating them for each class soon). BSD is just going with the sure qualifiers right now and is being conservative. I think Mascola may qualify one also but that is going to be close so the B1G should end up with at least 9 and has a good shot at 10 at 157. So Kelly should be OK barring a disaster.

Originally posted by rossel 33:
was thinking the same thing... I like Telford's chances better against Medbury than McM or Coon

but Clark at #8 is ridiculous... how can a guy who's been #4 or 5 nationally most of the season be #8 seed in B1G??

I would love for Telford to get 4 seed and Medbury #1 w/ McMullen and Coon on bottom half.

He is 4-4 in B1G conference duals. The seeding committee doesn't much care how vaisforlovers or Intermat ranks their wrestlers. I don't think he is going to be #8, but it's possible and he is not going to be in the top 4.

I'm surprised that I know this as a PSU fan (obviously I've only followed wrestling for the past 5 years) and some Iowa fans (who are generally regarded as NCAA wrestling historians, surpassed only by OSU fans who are the original, as in Ancient Greek Olympic Games, wrestling fans) are unaware of this.

Originally posted by dicemen99:

He is 4-4 in B1G conference duals. The seeding committee doesn't much care how vaisforlovers or Intermat ranks their wrestlers. I don't think he is going to be #8, but it's possible and he is not going to be in the top 4.

I'm surprised that I know this as a PSU fan (obviously I've only followed wrestling for the past 5 years) and some Iowa fans (who are generally regarded as NCAA wrestling historians, surpassed only by OSU fans who are the original, as in Ancient Greek Olympic Games, wrestling fans) are unaware of this.
cool-story-bro-now-gtfo-of-here.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier to put me on ignore? I'll ask somebody on here to quote me (for your reading enjoyment) on all my posts that are:

a) pro-Iowa
b) pro-Brands
c) pro-Gable
d) pro-Gobblin
or
e) contain a gif with either a mustache, mullet, or Family Guy character

That should about cover it.

"He is 4-4 in B1G conference duals. The seeding committee doesn't much care how vaisforlovers or Intermat ranks their wrestlers. I don't think he is going to be #8, but it's possible and he is not going to be in the top 4."

**You were fine if you would've stopped here, but then you had to go on and make an uncessary point. You had to know you were going to catch some sort of "Get out", "Troll", etc response. You don't have to act so suprised you got a response you were fishing for.

Wouldn't it be easier to put me on ignore? I'll ask somebody on here to quote me (for your reading enjoyment) on all my posts that are:

a) pro-Iowa
b) pro-Brands
c) pro-Gable
d) pro-Gobblin
or

resized_conspiracy-keanu-meme-generator-woaaahhh-cool-story-bro-tell-me-again-d95aad.jpg

Originally posted by HawkTalk3:

"He is 4-4 in B1G conference duals. The seeding committee doesn't much care how vaisforlovers or Intermat ranks their wrestlers. I don't think he is going to be #8, but it's possible and he is not going to be in the top 4."

**You were fine if you would've stopped here, but then you had to go on and make an uncessary point. You had to know you were going to catch some sort of "Get out", "Troll", etc response. You don't have to act so suprised you got a response you were fishing for.
C'mon, doesn't anyone have a friggin' sense of humor here? Are people really that thin skinned that I can't throw back the oft-repeated "5 year fans" refrain? lol

It's a message board, not a funeral home.

I certainly wasn't disappointed OR surprised at the response I got from TT. I AM surprised that it took him 7 minutes to come up with his 2nd response. As I'm sure he would be quick to say, "it's a REAL humdinger!"
-EDITED FOR ACCURACY-
This post was edited on 2/20 3:20 PM by dicemen99

Originally posted by HawkTalk3:

C'mon, doesn't anyone have a friggin' sense of humor here? Are people really that thin skinned that I can't throw back the oft-repeated "5 year fans" refrain? lol

It's a message board, not a funeral home.

I certainly wasn't disappointed OR surprised at the response I got from TT. I AM surprised that it took him 7 minutes to come up with his 2nd response. As I'm sure he would be quick to say, "it's a REAL humdinger!"
-EDITED FOR ACCURACY-

You apparently don't consult your calendar before posting here do you???

It's our time of the month is all.
mad0007.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/20 3:36 PM by Kwoodhawk

This post was edited on 2/20 3:37 PM by Kwoodhawk

Originally posted by Kwoodhawk:

mad0007.r191677.gif
Crap. Guess that means it will be again in about 4 weeks - isn't there something big going on then?

Wouldn't it be easier to put me on ignore?  I'll ask somebody on here to quote me (for your reading enjoyment) on all my posts that are:

a) pro-Iowa
b) pro-Brands
c) pro-Gable
d) pro-Gobblin
or

Aren't they all one and the same?

Thing is, you're not funny. You're an inflammatory A-hole, and have been for years (5 to be exact).

It's a message board, not a funeral home

-EDITED FOR ACCURACY-
This thread, is not dead, Fred.

Originally posted by Kwoodhawk:

mad0007.r191677.gif
Crap. Guess that means it will be again in about 4 weeks - isn't there something big going on then?
Oh YEAH.......WE'RE LIKELY TO BE REAL TOUCHY ABOUT THAT TIME.

I caught the humor in Diceman's post. I thought it was pretty good - especially the part about OSU being experts since the greek day.

The way they used to seed the Bigs is like this - ( I assume they still do it this way).

Each coach sends in his rankings of the number one thru number 8 or 10 seed (how ever far they go)

The number one guy gets lets say 8 points and the number 8 guy gets 1 point.

They ad up all the points and the guy with the most points is the number one seed and the second most points is the number 2 seed etc..

Then they have a meeting with the coaches to see if anyone disagrees with the seeding. Maybe the 4 seed has a head to head win over the 3 seed and he wants to change it. Then the coaches vote and make a decision. Then they move on.

Usually they have a rule like you can't jump more than one spot and you can't challenge a guy if he has lets say 6 or 8 more points than you, even if you have had a head to head win etc.. I am not sure on what the exact rules are for the Bigs, but I am sure they have some sort of guidelines for challenging a seed.

Not sure where they will put Clark myself I thought he was ranked to high most of the year for sure don't see him in top 4 for big tens . Well maybe 4 but doubt it...4-4 is not a good resume.
Just hope he wrestles like he has been in the last couple weeks.
He will be fine if he does but gonna have to too offense in first period.

Originally posted by TailgateTom:
Thing is, you're not funny. You're an inflammatory A-hole, and have been for years (5 to be exact).
Beg to differ Tom. Diceman posts some good stuff with facts and all that stuff. He's had five years to study up and he's turning out to be a pretty good poster-apprentice.

Originally posted by Azchief32:

Beg to differ Tom. Diceman posts some good stuff with facts and all that stuff. He's had five years to study up and he's turning out to be a pretty good poster-apprentice.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I suppose.

Apparently some common sense can prevail.

Clark's preseed is not #8, but #5.

Clark's chances in a rematch with #5 DiJulius in qtrs is better than with #1 Dardanes.

Richards tech fall loss to Taylor likely a factor in Clark being seeded higher than him despite a dual head to head conference loss. And Clarks win over him at Midlands.
Apparently some common sense can prevail.

Clark's preseed is not #8, but #5.

Clark's chances in a rematch with #5 DiJulius in qtrs is better than with #1 Dardanes.

Originally posted by Azchief32:

We'll have to agree to disagree, I suppose.

You're both correct.

what I don't understand is how Ness gets the #2 seed behind iMar. A two time NCAA finalist, three time B1G finalist (retruning champ) and ranked #1 all year except for last week and he gets the #2 seed behind a freshman. iMar has look very good, but if we are going on B1G results they are both undefeated and Ness has a 3 year history of doing very well in the B1G and NCAA's. I would also say that MN's competition is much more difficult than what IL faces.

Going off of THIS year's results, I think Ness being the two is correct. IMO Martinez has been better, and at worst it is a coin flip. Certainly can be debated though.

Yeah i guess I can't be too mad, but it just seems like there should be a little more taken into account here with the senior. Ness will just have to beat Green again and then iMar.

I hope Ness and IMar meet in the finals. I enjoy watching Ness wrestle and IMar is quite a phenom. Would be a great match up to watch.

Martinez was ready to go for the dual, Ness wasn't, and I think that was basically a tie breaker.

Did you see Ness's face the night of that dual? He was obviously sick with the flu. It will be decided on the mat and I am sure it will be entertaining with their two styles.

Originally posted by Flying_Tiger:
Martinez was ready to go for the dual, Ness wasn't, and I think that was basically a tie breaker.
This, and I think it's the right way to go. Not saying Ness ducked or anything, but he missed the match, so the other guy should get the seed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT