ADVERTISEMENT

Seeding Projections

hawkeye ball

HB All-American
Dec 2, 2006
Found this on the Illini board. Chance of getting which seed...

attachment.php

Thanks! I'm torn between wanting a 4th or 5th seed. There would be an advantage to playing the extra game I think. I also think we lose to Wisconsin regardless.

Interesting for sure. 4-6 are all fine with me by this point. 5 is probably the least ideal situation, but that also means we won games and are in the NCAA regardless.

So for seeds that matter, 3-7 are the ones still up for grabs. I'd really like to avoid the 7 to get away from Minny at 10.

any projection as to who IA would play if they get the 5 seed? because this is the seed I feel they will get at worst. to many variables at this point. I don't like to have to rely on any one else, IA just needs to win and let the rest take care of itself.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

any projection as to who IA would play if they get the 5 seed? because this is the seed I feel they will get at worst. to many variables at this point. I don't like to have to rely on any one else, IA just needs to win and let the rest take care of itself.
Despite what the percentages say, Nebraska is trending down and will be #12, along with #13 PSU. PSU would likely win that battle as of right now and face us as the 5. MSU would be waiting as the 4 most likely.

Also interesting that Indy is pretty much guaranteed to play on Thursday already.

This post was edited on 2/27 8:03 AM by StormHawk42

I would prefer the 6-7 spots if I had to pick, however, I get the concern with playing MN. 6-7 seed though gets us matchup with Purdue or Maryland most likely and avoids Wiscy until championship. This scenario would give us a couple of BTT wins which provides opportunity for higher NCAA seed too. I don't think we can beat Wiscy, they are way to consistent and too well coached IMO. It would take our best effort and their poor effort to beat them and I'm not sure that is the most realistic situation.

This is mildly connected to the topic. My hopes:

Minimum. Most importantly win two of the remaining games. I believe that locks us into the NCAA Tournament.

Better still. Win out. Not impossible, my own personal opinion remains: 25% 10-8, 50% 11-7, 25% 12-6. We beat Penn State and I'm raising it.

Combo. Tie with "Better Still". Win two of the final three, and beat our first opponent in the BTT.

Getting really, really fun. Win out, or Win two in the BTT, or some such combination.

Skip ahead to playing, "In Heaven there is no Beer!" Win out, and stay hot and win the BTT with a victory against Wisconsin on Saturday or Sunday. That's only asking to win six, probably seven, more games before the NCAA's. A record of 25-10? Ten wins in a row? Why not?
smile.r191677.gif

And yes, Penn State...P E N N S T A T E first.

If Iowa keeps playing well, we can beat anyone except maybe Wisconsin. We just need to keep playing well and take each game one at a time. All of the teams, except Wisconsin and Maryland, are scrambling either to get an invitation to the dance or to at least show their fans that there is still reason to be optimistic about the future. Personally, I would love to see Iowa get another shot at MSU. It is time for Iowa to knock the Izzo monkey off of our backs.

Originally posted by PinkLockerRoom:

I'll take a 4 seed any day over a 5 seed. 4 games in 4 days would be brutal.
No kidding. Plus, playing that first game as a 5 seed would do us absolutely NO good, as we wouldn't gain any RPI numbers, have another game to chance an injury and get another day of rest. You want to play the least amount of games in the conference tourney, provided you're a lock to get into the big tournament.

attachment.php

Little bit of a change from last one. Looks like its up in the air for 4-6. My guess is we sit at a 5 seed heading into the BTT.

I'll never cheer for us to lose, but if the 11-14 seeds pan out that way, then a #6 seed is much better than #5. Much rather see winner of UNL and Rutgers than NU or PSU. And as for Friday PU and MSU are pretty even, and no UW until Sunday would be nice.

Originally posted by hawkeye ball:
ec

Little bit of a change from last one. Looks like its up in the air for 4-6. My guess is we sit at a 5 seed heading into the BTT.
I thin you're probably right. The game with Indy on Tuesday is probably the key. I will not be shocked if we somehow win it, but I think that one -- given their state of desperation -- is probably going to be tough there. Close out with a win over NWE and I think you get the 5 seed. Get both and it could be a 4 depending.

that chart seems to overestimate Illinois chances against PU, or maybe it thinks OSU has a decent chance against Wisc.

There are 16 possible combinations of outcomes of the four 11-6 teams, correct? How many of those 16 result in us getting the 3 seed? How many the 4 seed?

Originally posted by El Simbolo:
that chart seems to overestimate Illinois chances against PU, or maybe it thinks OSU has a decent chance against Wisc.

There are 16 possible combinations of outcomes of the four 11-6 teams, correct? How many of those 16 result in us getting the 3 seed? How many the 4 seed?
Because it comes from an Illinois fan....
wink.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT