ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Chuck Grassley (Iowa): $46,600

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday sent a letter asking Harlan Crow—the billionaire GOP megadonor who has secretly showered U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas with hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts since the mid-1990s—to provide a full accounting of his financial ties to Thomas and any other judges on the high court.

It comes as "no surprise" that none of the panel's nine Republicans signed the letter, Accountable.US declared Tuesday, because they have collectively accepted nearly half a million dollars in campaign cash from Crow since the turn of the century, as a new analysis from the watchdog group shows.

Last month, one day after ProPublica published its bombshell report on Crow's under-the-table funding of near-annual luxury vacations for Thomas—the first of what would become many revelations about the two men's financial relationship—Accountable.US calculated that the current Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee received $453,300 from Crow between 2001 and 2022. The group revised that figure up to $457,000 on Tuesday in light of a $3,700 donation Crow made to Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) earlier this year.

The following is a list of Crow's total contributions to the nine GOP lawmakers on the panel as well as their affiliated PACs and joint fundraising committees, in descending order:

• Cornyn: $294,800
  • Sen. Chuck Grassley (Iowa): $46,600
  • Sen. Tom Cotton (Ark.): $23,900
  • Sen. Ted Cruz (Texas): $23,500
  • Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.): $20,600
  • Sen. Mike Lee (Utah): $19,500
  • Sen. Thom Tillis (N.C.): $13,400
  • Sen. John Kennedy (La.): $8,300
  • Sen. Marsha Blackburn (Tenn.): $6,400
"There should be bipartisan outrage about the undisclosed gifts and travel billionaire megadonor Harlan Crow has given Justice Thomas," Accountable.US president Kyle Herrig said last month. "Senate Judiciary Republicans should join their Democratic colleagues to act. However, their silence so far may be because they have received hundreds of thousands of dollars from Crow as well."

"The highest court in the land should have the highest ethical standards," he added. "When it doesn't, Congress should exert its oversight authority."

Not only have Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee with apparent conflicts of interest refused to join their Democratic colleagues in trying to establish enforceable ethics rules for the Supreme Court, but they have attempted to downplay the seriousness of the court's growing crisis of legitimacy.

Several of the panel's GOP members used last week's hearing on proposed Supreme Court ethics reforms—a hearing Chief Justice John Roberts refused to testify at despite mounting evidence of possible corruption involving Thomas and others, including Roberts himself as well as Justice Neil Gorsuch—as "an opportunity for political grandstanding and performative outrage," Accountable.US noted Tuesday.

Simple solution Senate: Don't fund their operations. They have to pay the judges, but not their staffs or the staffs of the court system.

Grassley should be asked about this at his next town hall.

But he won't be because attendees are vetted and any non friendlies" won't be allowed inside.

Just die, Chuck, you worthless POS.
His 99 county schtick is BS, and we all know it. He hasn’t appeared in public in 30 years in Johnson County. It’s always someplace where he has a friendly audience and no media.

At the local dq 😉
Yeah, I work at the one on Riverside Dr. His office contacted us and requested a “town hall”, appearance right after he did a friendly to our industry. Three execs repeatedly told us the day before his appearance what a great friend he was to our company. We were then told no press on company grounds, and don’t even tell the media he is coming. We were told no video or audio allowed. Then we were again told how big of a friend he is, what an honor it is to get a visit, and to carry ourselves in a dignified manner.
Point taken. When he appeared two of the execs blew him as an introduction, a couple of Righties lobbed in softball questions, and he ducked out after 30 minutes.

I assume this is technically not breaking the law, wouldn't it be great if congress would pass laws prohibiting this from happening?

Where I work, we take training every year to warn us how this is against company policy and violation can lead to termination.

The only gift I've received from a potential customer was last year when a group of S. Koreans gifted us each a bottle of whiskey. I've yet to try it...not sure if I will. I'm sure it has very little value (<$10) and was a gesture of appreciation in our collaboration.

This should be the same. I doubt anyone wants to lose their gravy train for a $3k gift. I only mention $3k since that was the most recent gift they mentioned.

Yeah, I work at the one on Riverside Dr. His office contacted us and requested a “town hall”, appearance right after he did a friendly to our industry. Three execs repeatedly told us the day before his appearance what a great friend he was to our company. We were then told no press on company grounds, and don’t even tell the media he is coming. We were told no video or audio allowed. Then we were again told how big of a friend he is, what an honor it is to get a visit, and to carry ourselves in a dignified manner.
Point taken. When he appeared two of the execs blew him as an introduction, a couple of Righties lobbed in softball questions, and he ducked out after 30 minutes.
Similar to my trysts with Reynolds, Ernst and Chuckles. All totally worthless.

I got a $25 Kwik Trip gift card from a patient last Christmas. This was after the patient was discharged. I reported it to my supervisor and I was not allowed to keep it.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT