ADVERTISEMENT

Senate rejects Biden’s student loan forgiveness program

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Senate on Thursday approved a Republican-led resolution to strike down President Biden’s controversial plan to forgive more than $400 billion in student loans.
The 52-to-46 vote, arriving a week after the House passed the measure and as the Supreme Court considers the legality of the relief plan, also would restart loan payments for tens of millions of borrowers that have been on pause since early in the coronavirus pandemic. The resolution also would prevent the Education Department from pursuing similar policies in the future.

While Biden has promised to veto the bill, the vote in the Senate, in which two Democrats and an independent sided with Republicans, shows the divisiveness of the student loan policy and the difficulty of getting any future plan through Congress.

It became clear the resolution could clear both chambers after Sens. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.), Jon Tester (D-Mont.) and Kyrsten Sinema (I-Ariz.) voted to advance the bill earlier this week. All three have been critical of Biden’s debt relief policy but had not previously said whether they would join the Republican effort to dismantle the program.

ADVERTISING

Skip to end of carousel

Key details on Biden’s student loan forgiveness​

1/2
End of carousel
“There are already more than 50 existing student loan repayment and forgiveness programs aimed at attracting individuals to vital service jobs,” Manchin said in a statement Wednesday after advancing the measure to the floor. “This Biden proposal undermines these programs and forces hard-working taxpayers who already paid off their loans or did not go to college to shoulder the cost.”
But on the Senate floor Thursday, Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) argued the congressional resolution “increases the yoke of student loan debt and sets up borrowers to fail.”

Unveiled in August, Biden’s loan forgiveness plan would eliminate up to $10,000 of federal student debt for borrowers earning up to $125,000 annually, or up to $250,000 for married couples. Recipients of Pell Grants, a form of financial aid for low- and middle-income students, are eligible for an additional $10,000 in forgiveness.

The program has faced many legal challenges and the Supreme Court is set to issue a ruling on its legality before the end of June.
Meanwhile, the Biden administration is fighting separate legal challenges to the ongoing payment pause from private lender SoFi and the conservative nonprofit Mackinac Center for Public Policy. The moratorium was first introduced by the Trump administration in response to the coronavirus pandemic more than three years ago, but spawned lawsuits after the Biden administration in November also cited the legal challenges to the forgiveness plan in announcing another extension.

I just don't understand why everyone except students get loan forgiveness. I also don't understand why Republicans can't figure out why nobody under the age of 30 wants to vote for them. Although in this case, they did have some help from the two Democrat-lights.

I just don't understand why everyone except students get loan forgiveness. I also don't understand why Republicans can't figure out why nobody under the age of 30 wants to vote for them. Although in this case, they did have some help from the two Democrat-lights.
I’m against it because debt forgiveness does nothing to fix the problem. Simple as that.

Dumb move by R's....the SC probably would have tossed it anyway. I think it's no coincidence this vote came up right before the SC is supposed to come up with a decision.

Schumer playing some 3D chess....SC tossing it would have given R's cover. Now R's are responsible for getting rid of it...

It was executive over reach anyway....

I’m against it because debt forgiveness does nothing to fix the problem. Simple as that.
A totally reasonable position, and one I would typically support. But why does this lesson only count for students and nobody else? You either think debt forgiveness perpetuates the problem or you just don't give a shit about it. But this picking of winners and losers means that the practical reasons for doing something or not doing something aren't even in the conversation here.

Dumb move by R's....the SC probably would have tossed it anyway. I think it's no coincidence this vote came up right before the SC is supposed to come up with a decision.

Schumer playing some 3D chess....SC tossing it would have given R's cover. It was executive over reach anyway....
Why’s it a dumb move by the Rs? Are most Americans in favor of the government forgiving billions in student loans?

Why’s it a dumb move by the Rs? Are most Americans in favor of the government forgiving billions in student loans?
Most young americans are....

Now the R's have to own getting rid of it.....don't see a net positive POLITICALLY.

SC rules it unconstitutional Executive over reach....like it was...they don't have to own it.

Politically stupid IMO.

Why do you think Schumer actually let it come up for a vote? He ain't dumb...

Reactions: Flie

Now the R's have to own getting rid of it.....don't see a net positive POLITICALLY.

SC rules it unconstitutional Executive over reach....like it was...they don't have to own it.

Politically stupid IMO.

So, you’re saying Rs should have voted yes? I don’t think so, man.

You can repossess a car or foreclose on a house. The information in someone’s brain cannot be considered collateral since there’s no way for the bank to resell it.
And why should people who don’t go to college be on the hook for the very tool used by others to make more money than they do? It’s nothing but lower income people subsidizing higher income people, and that’s just dumb.

Here are some polls on student loan forgiveness:
  • A YouGov poll and a Morning Consult-Politico poll found 51% of respondents were in favor of $10,000 in forgiveness.
  • The Cato 2022 Student Debt Cancellation National Survey found 64% of Americans support the federal government forgiving up to $10,000 in federal student loans for people who earn less than $150,000 a year or less than $300,000 per year for married couples.
  • An NBC News poll found 43% of voters believe that President Joe Biden's student loan forgiveness plan was a good idea, while 44% of voters say it was a bad idea.
  • An Ipsos poll found 39% support forgiving all student loan debt for people earning less than $125,000 per year or less than $250,000 for married couples.

A totally reasonable position, and one I would typically support. But why does this lesson only count for students and nobody else? You either think debt forgiveness perpetuates the problem or you just don't give a shit about it. But this picking of winners and losers means that the practical reasons for doing something or not doing something aren't even in the conversation here.
Oh, I have a long list of things I don’t agree with when it comes to government benefits, subsidies, tax breaks, etc.

What else can I get loan forgiveness on? I’m taking notes so type slowly

I believe that changes need to be made insofar as existing student loan debt, and the changes are coming in the form of a lower % of income being calculated to meet the income-based standards for forgiveness.

Ultimately I blame Biden for why we are at this point. He sat on his ass for 2 years to have the ability for Dems to continue hanging this out there in front of younger voters.

The point whereby there is no solution to prevent this problem from reoccurring is valid. I haven’t seen a single proposal from anybody in DC to fix this problem

I wish we would have bankers and brokers killing themselves instead of bailing them out.

Politically stupid IMO.

I don't think the Rs can make too many inroads with the younger population for the next elections. I do think this appeals to Independents/moderates. As stated above, loan forgiveness does nothing to fix the problem. Maybe zeroing out the interest rate would have been more appealing to all? IDK. I also believe we need to return to the state subsidizing student loans.

I don't want debt forgiveness, but I am in favor of making the debt eligible to be disgorged in bankruptcy.

It should be painful for the borrower to get out of it, but it doesn't need to be a lifetime albatross around their neck.

The biggest issue here imo is that you can put whatever stipulations you want on it, it’s been 3 years of no interest and nobody has made payments. The bulk of the borrowers were under $20k in debt and they did not try and get rid of it when given the opportunity to.

They aren’t going to magically start paying, and nobody in DC is going to have the Dept of Ed start garnishing wages on federally-backed loans because it is political suicide from all angles

Reactions: KFsdisciple
I don't think the Rs can make too many inroads with the younger population for the next elections. I do think this appeals to Independents/moderates. As stated above, loan forgiveness does nothing to fix the problem. Maybe zeroing out the interest rate would have been more appealing to all? IDK. I also believe we need to return to the state subsidizing student loans.

No. Make it more affordable up front. GSLs have been a well intentioned disaster that played a role in the cost of higher Ed escalating. No cost control. Skewers the demand curve.

No. Make it more affordable up front. GSLs have been a well intentioned disaster that played a role in the cost of higher Ed escalating. No cost control. Skewers the demand curve.
I agree. Tuition is out of control. That coincides with the states not longer subsidizing loans though. When I was an undergrad at UNI my loans per semester covered tuition and maybe rent. I had to work about 20 hours a week for the rest. The reason is because the university was (mostly) on the hook for defaults. Now the amount of money a student can receive in loans is crazy.

I would be open to creating a new tax on university endowments to cover the interest rates on the college loans. Let the students repay what they took out, but provide some relief on the loans, many of which are somewhat predatory in nature.

Feels ****ing good boys.

Now when all the schlomos of my generation and gen Z are losing their ass paying back debts that have been accruing interest for the last couple years I'll be using the money I've been saving to be a buyer in a sellers market of goods.

I wish Joe would send me 10k for living like a poor for 7 years so my wife and I could put 2k a month towards them.

Reactions: Panic1769
My student loans have been paid off for 15 years. But if tax payers want to pay my sons student loans off, who am I to argue. I was planning to pay them off for him as a graduation present, but why not let the US tax payers cover that for me. Sounds great.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
played out exactly as planned by dems. managed to not waste taxpayer money but still induced 40M voters. :)

Yep. As @JRHawk2003 stated both parties need to work on making college affordable again. It's best for the health of our economy.
We need to inctentivize the top talent going into the most needed professions. Whether that's "higher education" or trade school, we need to properly funnel talent to lucrative professions where they can make the biggest societal impact

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT