ADVERTISEMENT

Senate rejects Biden’s student loan forgiveness program

PPP loans. Guess who got loan forgiveness for these.
There is a major difference between signing an agreement that says you will have x amount of dollars forgiven if you meet ABC obligations and this bullshit they tried to pull with writing off agreed upon loans/rates.

I just don't understand why everyone except students get loan forgiveness. I also don't understand why Republicans can't figure out why nobody under the age of 30 wants to vote for them. Although in this case, they did have some help from the two Democrat-lights.
Everyone except students gets loan forgiveness? That’s news to me.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I just don't understand why everyone except students get loan forgiveness. I also don't understand why Republicans can't figure out why nobody under the age of 30 wants to vote for them. Although in this case, they did have some help from the two Democrat-lights.
I know I'll hate myself for bringing commonsense into this discussion, but why should recent college grads get forgiveness when future students, past students, students who paid for their own college or saved, or people who chose not to go to college, ( you get the picture) don't get anything?

You can repossess a car or foreclose on a house. The information in someone’s brain cannot be considered collateral since there’s no way for the bank to resell it.
And why should people who don’t go to college be on the hook for the very tool used by others to make more money than they do? It’s nothing but lower income people subsidizing higher income people, and that’s just dumb.
I don’t understand this position unless you’re against all subsidies.

Why should I as a taxpayer, want to fund Exon and other conglomerates through corporate welfare? Same goes for farm welfare.

When a market goes south, the government doesn’t come rushing to cut checks in my industries….so why ag?

I’d much rather bail out students than farmers or corporate America….

$31 Trillion.
oh-really-meme-10440-292x300.jpg

Everyone except students gets loan forgiveness? That’s news to me.
Happens all the time….we write off farm loans all the time….and that’s not even getting into the boondoggle that was the PPP….biggest fraud of taxpayer money in the history of our country.

Wish I could have got some of that free cash to buy a new tractor or more farm ground….

The Senate on Thursday approved a Republican-led resolution to strike down President Biden’s controversial plan to forgive more than $400 billion in student loans.
The 52-to-46 vote, arriving a week after the House passed the measure and as the Supreme Court considers the legality of the relief plan, also would restart loan payments for tens of millions of borrowers that have been on pause since early in the coronavirus pandemic. The resolution also would prevent the Education Department from pursuing similar policies in the future.

While Biden has promised to veto the bill, the vote in the Senate, in which two Democrats and an independent sided with Republicans, shows the divisiveness of the student loan policy and the difficulty of getting any future plan through Congress.

It became clear the resolution could clear both chambers after Sens. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.), Jon Tester (D-Mont.) and Kyrsten Sinema (I-Ariz.) voted to advance the bill earlier this week. All three have been critical of Biden’s debt relief policy but had not previously said whether they would join the Republican effort to dismantle the program.

ADVERTISING

Skip to end of carousel

Key details on Biden’s student loan forgiveness​

1/2
End of carousel
“There are already more than 50 existing student loan repayment and forgiveness programs aimed at attracting individuals to vital service jobs,” Manchin said in a statement Wednesday after advancing the measure to the floor. “This Biden proposal undermines these programs and forces hard-working taxpayers who already paid off their loans or did not go to college to shoulder the cost.”
But on the Senate floor Thursday, Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) argued the congressional resolution “increases the yoke of student loan debt and sets up borrowers to fail.”

Unveiled in August, Biden’s loan forgiveness plan would eliminate up to $10,000 of federal student debt for borrowers earning up to $125,000 annually, or up to $250,000 for married couples. Recipients of Pell Grants, a form of financial aid for low- and middle-income students, are eligible for an additional $10,000 in forgiveness.

The program has faced many legal challenges and the Supreme Court is set to issue a ruling on its legality before the end of June.
Meanwhile, the Biden administration is fighting separate legal challenges to the ongoing payment pause from private lender SoFi and the conservative nonprofit Mackinac Center for Public Policy. The moratorium was first introduced by the Trump administration in response to the coronavirus pandemic more than three years ago, but spawned lawsuits after the Biden administration in November also cited the legal challenges to the forgiveness plan in announcing another extension.
Yet we will forgive eff ups by billionaire corporations. Good shit.

I agree. Tuition is out of control. That coincides with the states not longer subsidizing loans though. When I was an undergrad at UNI my loans per semester covered tuition and maybe rent. I had to work about 20 hours a week for the rest. The reason is because the university was (mostly) on the hook for defaults. Now the amount of money a student can receive in loans is crazy.
That and the 7% interest rates on student loans. I say this as someone who paid off his 45K in student loans, not counting interest, 2 summers ago at age 52. The only thing that irritated me was not being able to get some loan forgiveness for teaching at inner city schools because I was hired prior to 2005. Teachers hired after 2005 were able to get thousands forgiven. Not me who had taught in those schools longer. That was picking and choosing.

If we’re going to bailout Wall Street and farmers, then I don’t have a problem helping young people who have been overcharged with BS high interest rates. The saved money goes right back into our economy. Again, college graduates get SCREWED on government interest rates.

That and the 7% interest rates on student loans. I say this as someone who paid off his 45K in student loans, not counting interest, 2 summers ago at age 52. The only thing that irritated me was not being able to get some loan forgiveness for teaching at inner city schools because I was hired prior to 2005. Teachers hired after 2005 were able to get thousands forgiven. Not me who had taught in those schools longer. That was picking and choosing.

If we’re going to bailout Wall Street and farmers, then I don’t have a problem helping young people who have been overcharged with BS high interest rates. The saved money goes right back into our economy. Again, college graduates get SCREWED on government interest rates.
Couldn’t agree more. The interest on federal student loans should be just enough to cover some of the overhead costs. Sub 2%.

Not really. It’s just forgiveness of debt.

Unless you are saying people are sitting on piles of cash hoping they can spend it on consumer goods and fun stuff instead of paying back loans? In which case, that’s another argument against forgiveness.

I know I'll hate myself for bringing commonsense into this discussion, but why should recent college grads get forgiveness when future students, past students, students who paid for their own college or saved, or people who chose not to go to college, ( you get the picture) don't get anything?
I guess those people should have gone to college then. Why should anyone care about what people who chose not to invest in themselves don't get? This is almost as dumb of a complaint as wondering why people who don't invest in a stock don't get any dividends from it.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this is what you think common sense is.

But again, you have failed to acknowledge or address the point I am making in that every other business or rich person gets to have loan forgiveness but students don't. I guess it's time to just acknowledge that none of you have a response for that but you don't care either. Which is fine, but evidently you want me to care that people who don't spend the time and money to go to college aren't going to get any loan forgiveness.

Reactions: hawkedoff
I guess those people should have gone to college then. Why should anyone care about what people who chose not to invest in themselves don't get? This is almost as dumb of a complaint as wondering why people who don't invest in a stock don't get any dividends from it.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this is what you think common sense is.

But again, you have failed to acknowledge or address the point I am making in that every other business or rich person gets to have loan forgiveness but students don't. I guess it's time to just acknowledge that none of you have a response for that but you don't care either. Which is fine, but evidently you want me to care that people who don't spend the time and money to go to college aren't going to get any loan forgiveness.
I suspect it’s because everybody ends up paying for it. That makes it different from your stock analogy.

But it's ok for everyone to pay for the loans for businesses and rich people. None of your reasons for this work because none of you seem to have a problem when everyone else gets these things.
Well, for me personally…I have a problem with it all.

I’m against any student loan forgiveness.

I also think it’s stupid people who work for the federal government are considered in public service and can have loans forgiven on that basis.

I think the COVID stimulus checks were unnecessary and harmful. Same for PPP loans. I would be go after people for fraud and put them away for 20 years.

I would drastically cut farm aid, oil subsidies, and any other corporate giveaways.

I think subsidizing sports stadiums should be outlawed.

Just off the top of my head.

Well, for me personally…I have a problem with it all.

I’m against any student loan forgiveness.

I also think it’s stupid people who work for the federal government are considered in public service and can have loans forgiven on that basis.

I think the COVID stimulus checks were unnecessary and harmful. Same for PPP loans. I would be go after people for fraud and put them away for 20 years.

I would drastically cut farm aid, oil subsidies, and any other corporate giveaways.

I think subsidizing sports stadiums should be outlawed.

Just off the top of my head.
I agree with most of your opinions there. However, that's irrelevant to what has actually happened. So that's the metric we have to judge things.

Happens all the time….we write off farm loans all the time….and that’s not even getting into the boondoggle that was the PPP….biggest fraud of taxpayer money in the history of our country.

Wish I could have got some of that free cash to buy a new tractor or more farm ground….
Buy a farm and get to work then. According to this place it's the best job in the world. New pickups every year, free cash, always lucrative, little danger in the work.

Go for it man.

As for the loans, I was responding to the comment that everyone gets loans forgiven. I've never had a loan forgiven in my life. Paid every one. Still paying some.

But it's ok for everyone to pay for the loans for businesses and rich people. None of your reasons for this work because none of you seem to have a problem when everyone else gets these things.
Link to loan forgiveness for rich people?

Not really. It’s just forgiveness of debt.

Unless you are saying people are sitting on piles of cash hoping they can spend it on consumer goods and fun stuff instead of paying back loans? In which case, that’s another argument against forgiveness.

WSJ had an article last week about a new trend with recent college grad types. It’s called “funemployment”.
Good times.

Link to loan forgiveness for rich people?
Look up PPP loans. Or TARP. Or any of the other dozen times or so these entities have been bailed out over the last 40 years.

But ultimately, it's irrelevant if they were rich or not. They got loan forgiveness. If it's ok for one group of people, it's ok for everyone.

I owe just over 10k in student loans. I either pay it off prior to restarting the interest accruing or it’s going to be forgiven.

Im not going to apologize for a second for taking the forgiveness. Other groups have been the beneficiary of government largess. Why not me?

Look up PPP loans. Or TARP. Or any of the other dozen times or so these entities have been bailed out over the last 40 years.

But ultimately, it's irrelevant if they were rich or not. They got loan forgiveness. If it's ok for one group of people, it's ok for everyone.
Tarp stood for troubled assets relief program.
Big banks were stuck with bad mortgage backed securities when the housing market collapsed.
The govt bought them at a huge discount to keep the banks liquid and avoid a financial collapse.
Ultimately the govt made a killing when these securities rebounded.

Not saying that tarp did not bail out bankers but they did take a hit and it saved taxpayers money.

I’m against it because debt forgiveness does nothing to fix the problem. Simple as that.

Yes. Perpetuates bloated student loan lending, bloated tuition costs, bloated school book scam industry, all of it.

Then signals to all future lendees they need only take then loans, graduate, stop paying, and wait.

This movement is idiotic from start to finish.

Tarp stood for troubled assets relief program.
Big banks were stuck with bad mortgage backed securities when the housing market collapsed.
The govt bought them at a huge discount to keep the banks liquid and avoid a financial collapse.
Ultimately the govt made a killing when these securities rebounded.

Not saying that tarp did not bail out bankers but they did take a hit and it saved taxpayers money.
The government bailed out banks that made bad loans. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT