ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question: Would a low scoring loss to Nevada force Kirk Ferentz to fire his OC?

The offense has been horrible EVERY year under Brian and has steadily declined every year. If it is not Brian's fault (Captain Kirk makes the calls), he is only severely tarnishing his ability to get a coaching job anywhere else as he looks like a total buffoon at Iowa.
Agree. Kirk is actually damaging Brian’s coaching resume with this stagnant, limiting offense that he as the OC has no control over. But Kirk also has in mind that Brian will be the next head coach at Iowa so he doesn’t view things in the same perspective that we do.

Anybody know who this Chuck Sizzle guy is for Purdue? He’d have been good for three catches for 24 yards against Nevada tonight!

Been a fan since 1964 and have been a huge Kirk Ferentz through the years. That said, these first two weeks are about as ugly as I've seen it. Do you think a low scoring loss to Nevada forces Kirk Ferentz to fire his son/OC? If not what will it take? Is Kirk on the hot seat, and will he get the ax if Iowa goes winless (or has 2 or fewer wins) in B10 play, which I think based on the first two games is a real possibility? Hate seeing our FB team look this bad! :(
There is no circumstance where Kirk fires Brian. Either Brian resigns to save his dad from having to do it (unlikely), or Kirk just says this is his last year and it becomes a coronation onward to a 1-11 season.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I'm fairly certain BF could shoot someone on Melrose, whip it out, and urinate on the corpse and not get fired...

Been a fan since 1964 and have been a huge Kirk Ferentz through the years. That said, these first two weeks are about as ugly as I've seen it. Do you think a low scoring loss to Nevada forces Kirk Ferentz to fire his son/OC? If not what will it take? Is Kirk on the hot seat, and will he get the ax if Iowa goes winless (or has 2 or fewer wins) in B10 play, which I think based on the first two games is a real possibility? Hate seeing our FB team look this bad! :(
Doubt Kirk will ever authorize Barta to fire his son. Don't kid yourself.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I'm really confused. Why wouldn't winning 0 Big Ten games be considered "cause" when firing a coach for buyout purposes? Or hiring your son against university nepotism policies?
Because, "technically" they didn't hire Brian against nepotism policies. They "technically" skirted that by having BF "supposedly" reporting directly to Barta. Make of that what ever you will.......

0.00% chance. I would bet my house.

Math is hard, but think about what it would take to move from being 75 yds/game out of 2ND TO LAST PLACE to 90th.
There is A LOT of season left. We'll see how the math works out 10 weeks from now.

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
I expect Kirk, whenever he calls it quits, will pull a Bob Stoops and do it in July or August so that Barta will have "no choice" but to make Brian HC. Probably followed quickly by a 5 year, $20 million contract with a huge buyout.

Just to get to 90th place, the offense would have to improve its average to 360 yds/game from around 160 yds/game. To make up for the bad start Iowa would have to average just over 400 yds/game for the rest of the season, including conference games against tough defenses of WI and Michigan...There's just no statistical way to get there.
We have a couple of weeks to somewhat even things out just a little bit from the first 2 weeks, then we go from there. We'll see in 10 weeks.

Answer to your first question: No

For the rest of the OPs post, I submit the following: The offense will improve week to week from here on out. And, 3-4 weeks down the road, we'll be able to describe the offense as 1) improved significantly over the first two games, 2) Serviceable and somewhat complimentary to the Defense and Special teams, 3) As compared to the Nation....below average, but at least not in the bottom 10.

By the end of the season, the Offense will rank in the 85-95 range nationally.

None of that get's anyone fired.
the offense would have to average 500yds+/gm and 20+pts/gm to jump that high.

I assume sarcasm, because there's almost 0 chance that the offensive rank will improve playing OSU, Mich., Minnesota and Wisconsin while the early-season co-bottom-feeders stop playing the big universities for paychecks and start playing competition at their own levels in conference play.

I'll give you three have been some injuries, but Iowa was almost dead last last year even with those injured players available on the roster. So I doubt they improve without major shifts in offensive philosophy and QB play.
No sarcasm. Did I type in pink font...or whatever is the "sarcasm" color? Remember you said the offense has almost 0 chance that the rank will improve. Interesting. So you think they will finish the season ranked dead last? No.

tenor.gif
Cool GIF. Thanks for your important contribution.

That's a very bold prediction. Right now, the #95 offense is averaging 361.5 ypg. Iowa's offense has been so bad the first two games that they would need to average 402.2 ypg over the next ten games to make that happen.
That's a fair reply. That said, we'll see in 10 weeks or so.

No sarcasm. Did I type in pink font...or whatever is the "sarcasm" color? Remember you said the offense has almost 0 chance that the rank will improve. Interesting. So you think they will finish the season ranked dead last? No.
Yes, I do.

Answer to your first question: No

For the rest of the OPs post, I submit the following: The offense will improve week to week from here on out. And, 3-4 weeks down the road, we'll be able to describe the offense as 1) improved significantly over the first two games, 2) Serviceable and somewhat complimentary to the Defense and Special teams, 3) As compared to the Nation....below average, but at least not in the bottom 10.

By the end of the season, the Offense will rank in the 85-95 range nationally.

None of that get's anyone fired.
You are crazy.

Because, "technically" they didn't hire Brian against nepotism policies. They "technically" skirted that by having BF "supposedly" reporting directly to Barta. Make of that what ever you will.......
Nah. I think it still might qualify. Lawsuits aren't something the U seems to be shy about. At least the settlement might let you negotiate from 50 mil to 20 mil.

That's a very bold prediction. Right now, the #95 offense is averaging 361.5 ypg. Iowa's offense has been so bad the first two games that they would need to average 402.2 ypg over the next ten games to make that happen.
Yep, no way to get beyond the top 100; embarrassing

We have a couple of weeks to somewhat even things out just a little bit from the first 2 weeks, then we go from there. We'll see in 10 weeks.
It’s not going to be pretty. I think the defense is not going to be able to withstand the time they will have to stay on the field

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT