ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously, How Dumb is Trump?

As we know now, trump used to spar with Muhammad Ali. Of course trump was so quick on his feet and moved like nothing Ali had ever seen before, so likely he couldn't ever get a good shot at him, but maybe he did land some and give trump brain damage. Who will ever forget Ali (yes, you guessed it, tears in his eyes) thanking donnie for sparring with a Black man.
Much like every topic known to man, Trump knows more about it than the supposed experts.

that the Civil War was unnecessary because it should have been “negotiated,” and that no one would know who Lincoln was if he hadn’t gone to war.
I am afraid he was correct in this assertion. Over 1 million were killed in that war, and we are still fighting over the same issues as before the war ... I think we may have actually lost ground in terms of relative quality of life for blacks.

We almost certainly could have found a better way.

Slavery in Brazil was officially ended by The Golden Law, issued by Princess Imperial Isabel on May 13, 1888. Unlike the United States or Haiti, Brazil's abolition of slavery came without a bloody civil war or a slave rebellion1. The Catholic Church ended its support of slavery by 1887, and not long after the Portuguese Crown began to position itself against it. The legal end of slavery in Brazil did little to change the lives of many Afro-Brazilians.

The only way out would have been the dissolution of the United States. The CSA wouldn't have abandoned slavery for decades. In Brazil, where manumission was a widespread practice, the freed black population vastly outnumbered the slave population by the late 1800's.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
The only way out would have been the dissolution of the United States. The CSA wouldn't have abandoned slavery for decades. In Brazil, where manumission was a widespread practice, the freed black population vastly outnumbered the slave population by the late 1800's.
Wikipedia lists half a dozen examples of nations/empires that ended slavery without having to kill a million people. It took some time, but after 100 or 150 years each of those places seems more settled in this regard than does the United States.

As a matter of public policy, the Civil War seems like a massive disaster to me; the absolute worst way to resolve the issue of slavery. Whatever the alternative path was, it was better.

How Lincoln has come to be treated as an American hero escapes me.

I see examples everywhere of nations being spun off or divided in two. They seem to be working to varying extents. Has anyone ever game-planned how a U.S.A. and a C.S.A. might have evolved? ... and what solution was eventually worked out for the slavery issue? There must have been a few books written on the topic.

Wikipedia lists half a dozen examples of nations/empires that ended slavery without having to kill a million people. It took some time, but after 100 or 150 years each of those places seems more settled in this regard than does the United States.

As a matter of public policy, the Civil War seems like a massive disaster to me; the absolute worst way to resolve the issue of slavery. Whatever the alternative path was, it was better.

How Lincoln has come to be treated as an American hero escapes me.

I see examples everywhere of nations being spun off or divided in two. They seem to be working to varying extents. Has anyone ever game-planned how a U.S.A. and a C.S.A. might have evolved? ... and what solution was eventually worked out for the slavery issue? There must have been a few books written on the topic.
The public policy wasn't initially about slavery, it was about the dissolution of the country. Lincoln was prepared to allow the South to continue to hold slaves to preserve the Union. To avoid the Civil War, either the South would have had to accept that they would lose their stranglehold on Congress as more non-slave states joined the Union or the North would have been required to accept that states could leave the Union on a whim. Neither side was going to accept those terms. Given that, the CW was inevitable.

I've never seen speculation on the total avoidance of the Civil War but Harry Turtledove, among others, has written speculative fiction based on the premise that the South won the CW and extends that alternate history through the 20th century.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT