ADVERTISEMENT

Service Fees aka tips being added before you pay your bill

runkpanole

HR Legend
Nov 17, 2002
Second place in the last week that I’ve been to that has an 18% service fee included with the bill. Cheap ass mf’ers need to start tipping so this doesn’t have to be done.

Actually, what needs to be done is pay wait staff a decent wage so they don't have to rely on tips.

While we're at it, include tax in the posted price everywhere that tax is added. If it says $10.95, that is what you should pay because tax should already be added.

Actually, what needs to be done is pay wait staff a decent wage so they don't have to rely on tips.

While we're at it, include tax in the posted price everywhere that tax is added. If it says $10.95, that is what you should pay because tax should already be added.
No disagreement from me.

Reactions: Finance85

It was so annoying to me when I got out of the military and the price at the counter wasn't actually the price at the register.

Reactions: SSG T
The one that pisses me off is "3% service fee for all non-cash transactions" in super-fine print on the menu. Just raise the ****ing prices if you're going to raise the prices.

It was so annoying to me when I got out of the military and the price at the counter wasn't actually the price at the register.

When I got back to the states after nearly 3 years in Germany, I freaked the first time I bought something and it was more than listed. I'd actually forgotten that the US is stupid that way.

Reactions: ZachJump
I’m with others, wouldn’t mind them just posting the composite out of pocket cost, with base price, tip, and taxes.
Yeah, but I’ve seen an additional service charge added like you get for room service.

Meal
Tax
Service charge for increased costs
Add ___ for a gratuity

I always laugh when they do the 18% thing, because I would have tipped them more, but if they want to decide that 18% is right, I'm ok with it.
The ones I’ve seen (Minneapolis) state it’s for “fair wages and benefits” and that it’s not considered a tip for service. So you’re supposed to tip on top of that.

The service charge is usually added on post-tax too.

Call me cheap but I'm tipping on the bill.....not the tax, entertainment fee, covid fee, health insurance fee, etc.
Agree.

Always tip on the subtotal, not including taxes. If I get a pissy server ask about it, I tell them I was a server/bartender and only expected a tip on my level of service on the subtotal or if they felt I deserved more. Most of the time the service is ok to poor so they don’t deserve more than the 18 to 20%. Seems like our bill usually is around $100.00 to $150.00 for drinks, app, and some sort of meal. That’s $20 to $30 for an hour if we stay that long. I want to get in and out if it’s not a formal meal setting/atmosphere.

Reactions: goldmom
Second place in the last week that I’ve been to that has an 18% service fee included with the bill. Cheap ass mf’ers need to start tipping so this doesn’t have to be done.
I had a couple nights up at Eve on Adams in Tally before I’d caught onto that. Dumb on me for not looking at the bill very closely but I was wondering why they started being so nice to me up there.

Reactions: runkpanole
The one that pisses me off is "3% service fee for all non-cash transactions" in super-fine print on the menu. Just raise the ****ing prices if you're going to raise the prices.

No. Why should cash customers subsidize card customers?

I have no problem tipping well for good service (at least doubling that 18%). I do have a problem being forced to tip any amount. How is it they can force you to pay that?

I have no problem tipping well for good service (at least doubling that 18%). I do have a problem being forced to tip any amount. How is it they can force you to pay that?

If they disclose it upfront (like on the menu somewhere) then you accept that arrangement when you order something.

If it's not disclosed and they just hit you with it when you receive the check, then that should be actionable in most states, but I'm not a lawyer.

Reactions: TailgateTom
We won't go back to places that put the 18-20% tip on the bill.

I determine the tip.

So people should not be able to control by any degree their compensation?

Yes, buy food from the establishment they work for, same as any other business. Having tips be a major part of wages for one industry is stupid. Pay them a decent wage instead of forcing them to rely on the thoughfullness of strangers, many of whom think they deserve better service than everyone else.

Reactions: ping72
3% covers their cost from the credit card provider.. I simply won’t use a card if I notice they charge that fee and won’t visit that business again unless I have cash, and I don’t normally carry large wads of cash around, so that business lost some potential future revenue by charging 3% on card transactions.

Was up on the north shore of Superior last summer, ate at a really nice cafe, excellent food, great service. Had 18% service fee and would not accept tips. I would have more than doubled the 18%

Or maybe we could just treat service staff like every other country and pay them a proper wage up front and allow tipping to be solely for exceptional service and not an expected addition to their salary.

Or maybe we could just treat service staff like every other country and pay them a proper wage up front and allow tipping to be solely for exceptional service and not an expected addition to their salary.
See my post above regarding this. I don’t disagree. Still boils down to people being cheap.

I kind of disagree. I'm not opposed to raising the base from like $2/hr or whatever it is, or some kind of either or, where if they don't get enough tips, they revert to minimum wage or $12/hr or whatever. Nobody should have a bad night at work and make $10 or something.

HOWEVER, what you are proposing would be a disaster for both service and service staff. Good wait staff make a ton of money, more than they would ever make on an hourly wage. They frequently are servicing more tables than anyone else, and getting them turned over faster. It's not just about exceptional service...from the customer perspective, they might get equally good service, but not noticeably exceptional, from two servers. But one of those servers had 5 tables in an hour, while the other one only managed two. It's insane that they walk out with the same hourly check. The ability of a good server to walk out with a couple hundred bucks in a night shift is key to both good service and restaurants being able to staff at all.

Reverting from a tip based service would increase prices dramatically by increasing the amount of staff needed, decreasing any incentive for wait staff to hustle, and eliminating great, high value wait staff.

Think about it more like commission. It's pretty absurd to pay a real estate that sells $20M in houses a year the same as an agent that sells $2M. Or to even pay them anywhere close. Wait staff that serve and turn over large volumes of customers absolutely deserve to profit from that.

So people should not be able to control by any degree their compensation?

Considering tips as the only way to “control by any degree their compensation“ is a giant and flawed leap in logic here.

I kind of disagree. I'm not opposed to raising the base from like $2/hr or whatever it is, or some kind of either or, where if they don't get enough tips, they revert to minimum wage or $12/hr or whatever. Nobody should have a bad night at work and make $10 or something.

HOWEVER, what you are proposing would be a disaster for both service and service staff. Good wait staff make a ton of money, more than they would ever make on an hourly wage. They frequently are servicing more tables than anyone else, and getting them turned over faster. It's not just about exceptional service...from the customer perspective, they might get equally good service, but not noticeably exceptional, from two servers. But one of those servers had 5 tables in an hour, while the other one only managed two. It's insane that they walk out with the same hourly check. The ability of a good server to walk out with a couple hundred bucks in a night shift is key to both good service and restaurants being able to staff at all.

Reverting from a tip based service would increase prices dramatically by increasing the amount of staff needed, decreasing any incentive for wait staff to hustle, and eliminating great, high value wait staff.

Think about it more like commission. It's pretty absurd to pay a real estate that sells $20M in houses a year the same as an agent that sells $2M. Or to even pay them anywhere close. Wait staff that serve and turn over large volumes of customers absolutely deserve to profit from that.
Yet somehow people manage through restaurant meals in Europe without tipping, and restaurants seem to make it ok.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger.1865
But one of those servers had 5 tables in an hour, while the other one only managed two. It's insane that they walk out with the same hourly check.
And yet it happens in countless types of businesses across this country.

I support this living wage/no tip concept for servers but I hope there's an appreciation for what this will do to most peoples' abilities to dine out at a restaurant with servers within their budgets, It might not have a direct impact on your wallet, but it will then have an ancillary impact on your dining options

If restaurant patrons are on board with having a $65 steak dinner so the college kid waiter can have a living wage, then by all means do it.
I think that’s going to be a huge adjustment but okay.

If restaurant patrons are on board with having a $65 steak dinner so the college kid waiter can have a living wage, then by all means do it.
I think that’s going to be a huge adjustment but okay.
My daughter works at a local establishment in Iowa City while going to the U of I and makes anywhere from $200 to $300 per shift on a Friday or Saturday. That’s equal to $25.00 per hour or more which I don’t think restaurants are going to pay that. Even on a slow day she still clears $100.00 in tips, around $15 to $16 per hour.

Reactions: Nole Lou
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT