ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall next, first opponent with a pulse

it's hard to gleam much from either teams two warm up games.

Monmouth 79-52 W
St Peter's 80-44 W

A couple of stats that stand out from the first two games

Seton Hall has been one of the worst teams in the country when it comes to taking care of the basketball in the first two games. According to KenPom, the Pirates are 317th nationally in offensive turnover percentage.

Seton Hall is shooting 67.5 percent from the free throw line. Seton Hall is averaging 38 free throw attempts per game.

The Pirates are ranked 23rd nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency. They are allowing their opponents to shoot 31.7 percent from the field, which is third nationally, and also have a defensive turnover rate of 29.9, which is ninth nationally.

Opponents are shooting 15.9 percent from three and 36.4 percent on two-point shots, both ranked in the top-15 nationally. However, where Seton Hall has struggled on defense is rebounding, as it has a defensive rebounding rate of 34.1 percent, which is 269th nationally.
Not that it always means anything but Illinois just played Monmouth and handled them a little easier than Seton Hall. While Monmouth really killed Seton Hall on the Offensive Boards, they weren't really able to do much against Illinois. Also, Illinois was able to shoot 60% on Monmouth, while SH only shot 45%.

However, Monmouth was able to shoot a bit better from 3 against Illinois than against SH ... not sure if that was because SH was able to affect their shooting more or Monmouth just couldn't hit the open shots against SH.

Realistically, it just looks like Monmouth isn't a very good team so tough to make direct comparisons but goes back to if Iowa can attack inside and take care of the ball, I think they will have a good chance.

Not that it always means anything but Illinois just played Monmouth and handled them a little easier than Seton Hall. While Monmouth really killed Seton Hall on the Offensive Boards, they weren't really able to do much against Illinois. Also, Illinois was able to shoot 60% on Monmouth, while SH only shot 45%.

However, Monmouth was able to shoot a bit better from 3 against Illinois than against SH ... not sure if that was because SH was able to affect their shooting more or Monmouth just couldn't hit the open shots against SH.

Realistically, it just looks like Monmouth isn't a very good team so tough to make direct comparisons but goes back to if Iowa can attack inside and take care of the ball, I think they will have a good chance.
Good info....

Speaking of teams with a pulse we are playing; not great for our non-conference SOS. Though, TCU was without Mike Miles tonight.

TCU was missing 2 of their top players. And, as you can see, they have not been good from 3 point range this season.

Some excerpts from the ESPN.com story:

Northwestern State rallied from 12 points down with 13:05 left to win, 64-63.

TCU was without leading-scorer Mike Miles Jr. (left knee and ankle injury).

TCU senior guard Damion Baugh served the 3rd game of a 6-game suspension imposed by the NCAA for signing with an NBA-certified agent after last season. Baugh started 30 of his 31 games last season. The suspension was revealed before the game, and Baugh will be eligible to return Nov. 30 against Providence.

It hasn’t been the smoothest of beginnings for TCU. The Frogs had to rally to beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff in their opener and struggled to put away Lamar on Friday.

TCU missed their first 12 shots from beyond the arc. TCU finished 2 for 21 from three and are a combined 14 for 74 over their first three games.

UP NEXT

TCU hosts Louisiana-Monroe on Thursday night to cap its four-game homestand before playing California in the Emerald Coast Classic on Nov. 25 in Niceville, Fla.

I see most comments about SH's defense but not much about their offense. I know it has been a few years ago but I feel the last time we played them it seemed like they got a layup on almost every possession. Hopefully our defense has improved enough that we can keep them out of the paint if their playstyle is similar. Force them to take contested jump shots.

The biggest worry I have matchup-wise is a huge front court. If Rebraca matches up with them size-wise I feel like we have an advantage.
I think Connor is probably the only player for either team that was in that game so that game is irrelevant.

And they hit a lot of 3s not so much penetration.

Theres almost no one who plays on the post anymore so size really only comes into play with rebounding.

Pretty much same deal as last year, if Iowa wants to be a good team they need to rebound.

I think Connor is probably the only player for either team that was in that game so that game is irrelevant.

And they hit a lot of 3s not so much penetration.

Theres almost no one who plays on the post anymore so size really only comes into play with rebounding.

Pretty much same deal as last year, if Iowa wants to be a good team they need to rebound.
Fran is aware of rebounding. He said its a point of emphasis in his Seton Hall interview.

Here's a pretty deep breakdown of the game tonight if anyone wants some idea of we are up against. Iowa 1 point underdog.

So the author is going with shu at home given the quality of their D in a close game.

Of course I'm hoping it goes the other way. But objectively it's a reasonable take.

QUOTE: There are 1,175 student season-ticket holders this season, down slightly from last year’s record haul but still a high number for a college with 6,000 undergrads. The student section Wednesday should be even more crowded and boisterous than usual because the athletic department is running a “Greek Night” promotion for fraternities and sororities.
https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...es-a-big-test-on-court-in-stands/69646600007/

What’s concerning is that Iowa has gone through multiple offensive lulls in each of their first couple of games. When the ball is moving and we’re getting open shots, this offense looks like it could be as good as any we’ve had with Fran at the helm

Hawks have a ways to go to get to where they want to be offensively, and an early season matchup against a fantastic defensive team in Seton Hall will be tricky

That said, I’m still not sure SH will have the firepower to keep up with the Hawks. On top of that, the turnover disparity could favor the Hawks heavily = more possessions for Iowa. First team to 70 probably wins

Reactions: Ree4
What’s concerning is that Iowa has gone through multiple offensive lulls in each of their first couple of games. When the ball is moving and we’re getting open shots, this offense looks like it could be as good as any we’ve had with Fran at the helm

Hawks have a ways to go to get to where they want to be offensively, and an early season matchup against a fantastic defensive team in Seton Hall will be tricky

That said, I’m still not sure SH will have the firepower to keep up with the Hawks. On top of that, the turnover disparity could favor the Hawks heavily = more possessions for Iowa. First team to 70 probably wins
I think Iowa will easily score 70 points. I agree with you, I don't know if Seton Hall has the firepower to keep up. I believe as long as Iowa doesn't turn the ball over too much and they hit their 3's at least at 30%+, they will win this game in the 6-10 pt range.

I think Iowa will easily score 70 points. I agree with you, I don't know if Seton Hall has the firepower to keep up. I believe as long as Iowa doesn't turn the ball over too much and they hit their 3's at least at 30%+, they will win this game in the 6-10 pt range.
If the Hawks easily score 70, then they will win this game handily… my prediction

Wouldn’t be too surprised if it is more in the mold of last year’s Virginia game though

Reactions: owenhawk
So, if SHU is good at defense, that means their offense must suck by definition, right?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

This is interesting...The Hawks are a 1-1.5 point underdog in this one. Looking at both teams stats SH shooting percentage isn't as bad as I thought it would be...but the pace between the two teams is what stands out most to me.

This game, on the road, against a strong defensive team is no gimme.....

Had the chance to upgrade several positions with the portal...but didn't. That is why this team's ceiling is rather low. 12-14 losses and another mediocre to poor season just like most of the previous 20 years.
You mean like last years, 26 wins, most in school history and BIG tourney title 4 wins in 4 games under pressure. Yea, just another poor season....Every day there's someone else in these boards with the post of the year..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If the Hawks can win this game, I think it indicates more upside to this years team. I worry that it might resemble last years ISU game though - Hawks had no idea how to solve their defensive intensity, Murray and JBo were frustrated, and it got out of hand as home crowd took over.

I’m not predicting a loss. I am saying these types of teams frustrate us and I’ll be super bulled up on Iowa if they can win tonight in a tough game.

Sounds like anyone not from Iowa is predicting a Seton Hall win. Iowa should play like they have nothing to lose. Go Hawks, bring home a win!

Reactions: perryhawk
You mean like last years, 26 wins, most in school history and BIG tourney title 4 wins in 4 games under pressure. Yea, just another poor season....Every day there's someone else in these boards with the post of the year..... :rolleyes:
30 or 31 wins is the most in school history. Under Tom Davis.

How many Sweet 16's in the past 30 years? Well, that answer is 2. Pretty damn pathetic.

Good early season road performance. Especially encouraging to see that when shu got the lead down to 5 at least twice in second half Hawks responded both times.

Good early season road performance. Especially encouraging to see that when shu got the lead down to 5 at least twice in second half Hawks responded both times.
This. First overcoming the 10-2 start, then holding SHU down while they came back, the withstanding the 2nd half runs. Very mature team! No panic.

Clemson still on top of the ACC, which frankly, blows my mind a bit. Duke and UNC tied for 6th.
They've had a favorable schedule so far, and won all of their close conference games (3 one point wins in conference play!), but the schedule finishes tougher. Mighty momentum is a curious thing though, maybe/hopefully they can sustain it until the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT