• No

Votes: 41 69.5%
  • I’m gay

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

hydro2.0

HR Heisman
Jun 25, 2018
friend sent me a picture of two large filets he purchased last night. Each steak has a visible “rub” on them, not just salt and pepper but almost a bbqish looking rub.

I told him he was an idiot only thing you need for a quality cut like that is salt/pepper. Is the rub too much?

I try not to inject my personal opinions into harmless actions of others. I think it's childish to judge him for doing that - if he enjoyed it then he did the right thing.
But it’s not harmless!

Reactions: artradley
friend sent me a picture of two large filets he purchased last night. Each steak has a visible “rub” on them, not just salt and pepper but almost a bbqish looking rub.

I told him he was an idiot only thing you need for a quality cut like that is salt/pepper. Is the rub too much?
We are gonna need pics. Salt and pepper is really all you need, but I'm a fan of Montreal Seasoning on my steak, which might be the case. It's not a rub, but well-seasoned Montreal Seasoning could look like a rub.

00052100693132_a1c1_master.png

No, it’s not. Surprised you’ve never made, used or tasted any.

You’re welcome.
In the recipes I'm looking at, the big kicker seems to be whether or not brown sugar is included. So the rubs that don't have brown sugar are basically variations on Montreal steak seasoning (fancy salt and pepper).

If it is pre-seasoned with salt, won't that pull the moisture out of the meat?
Having it come pre-seasoned, sounds like they are hiding something (the quality of the meat), or trying to push (or use up) a specific seasoning blend.

Having it come pre-seasoned, sounds like they are hiding something (the quality of the meat), or trying to push (or use up) a specific seasoning blend.
Preseasoning keeps moisture in. The salt dissolves into the meat and the salt holds onto the moisture. I've gone to salting all meats at home right after getting them home, even if it takes a couple days before I cook them. This is especially true with poultry.

We are gonna need pics. Salt and pepper is really all you need, but I'm a fan of Montreal Seasoning on my steak, which might be the case. It's not a rub, but well-seasoned Montreal Seasoning could look like a rub.

I love this stuff.

I also don’t get bent out of shape about cooking.

Preseasoning keeps moisture in. The salt dissolves into the meat and the salt holds onto the moisture. I've gone to salting all meats at home right after getting them home, even if it takes a couple days before I cook them. This is especially true with poultry.
Your link says it really doesn't matter for steaks.

"... and I will season steaks and pork roasts right before searing.'

It does both. The salt pulls the moisture out of the surface which is necessary for an optimal sear, which helps to lock in the natural juices.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I love this stuff.

I also don’t get bent out of shape about cooking.
I used to use Montreal seasoning all the time. Montana steak seasoning is good too.

Now I season everything I cook with salt, pepper, paprika and onion powder. Perfect flavor every time. Beef, pork, chicken, gravies, soups, some pasta dishes, etc. You name it.

This.

I may do a seasoning if I’m doing something like fajitas, but for a steak I’m eating medium rare, no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT