ADVERTISEMENT

Seydou Traore Commits to IOWA

imo Fran will have the better rim protector/rebounder between Traore/Sandfort defend opposing 4’s as they will spend more time closer to the rim. The reality is that if teams really want to go after Payton, it isn’t hard to get him isolated in space in the year 2024 (see the last play of the Maryland game last season), so I don’t necessarily envision strength of on-ball defense playing that much of a factor in Fran’s lineup decisions

I’ll also say, Tadjo may wind up playing the “4,” but his offensive role will likely most closely resemble the “screener”/“pick and roll” roles that Fran’s 5’s have historically filled offensively, and for spacing purposes will need to be in the game alongside either Traore, Dembele, Koch, or Sandfort in undersized lineups… which, excluding a Dembele pairing, guarantees that he winds up defending 5’s as well

In all honesty, Tadjo probably doesn’t see many minutes in year one, (especially if guys like Koch and Traore are too good to keep off the court and force Dembele to more “5” minutes) but the opportunity in my mind is bringing him off the bench during a few of the minutes that Freeman is resting to play alongside Ladji, who likes to camp in the corner on offense anyways. Call either one the 4/5, it doesn’t really matter

imo Fran will have the better rim protector/rebounder between Traore/Sandfort defend opposing 4’s as they will spend more time closer to the rim. The reality is that if teams really want to go after Payton, it isn’t hard to get him isolated in space in the year 2024 (see the last play of the Maryland game last season), so I don’t necessarily envision strength of on-ball defense playing that much of a factor in Fran’s lineup decisions

I’ll also say, Tadjo may wind up playing the “4,” but his offensive role will likely most closely resemble the “screener”/“pick and roll” roles that Fran’s 5’s have historically filled offensively, and for spacing purposes will need to be in the game alongside either Traore, Dembele, Koch, or Sandfort in undersized lineups… which, excluding a Dembele pairing, guarantees that he winds up defending 5’s as well

In all honesty, Tadjo probably doesn’t see many minutes in year one, (especially if guys like Koch and Traore are too good to keep off the court and force Dembele to more “5” minutes) but the opportunity in my mind is bringing him off the bench during a few of the minutes that Freeman is resting to play alongside Ladji, who likes to camp in the corner on offense anyways. Call either one the 4/5, it doesn’t really matter
Could be a redshirt for one of these freshman.... ?

In the past, I would say yes, but with the portal and focus on now and me (the player), I don't know. Players don't get to play, and they find a place where they are being told they will play.
Yeah, Fran is normally pretty good about running 10-deep early in the season and should be able to get Tadjo/Koch solid minutes in buy games. Then the rotation tends to shorten in Big Ten play. Both Chris/Cooper have Big Ten-ready skills in defense/rebounding (Chris) and shooting (Cooper) so I at least would be surprised if either redshirted

Reactions: Hawksfinal4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT