ADVERTISEMENT

"She is the face of college basketball. Men and women." --Dan Patrick

Lana Del Rey Yes GIF

That there are "fans" of women's college basketball who won't yet proclaim that CC is the greatest player in women's college history astounds me. Stats aside, look at her impact! No other women's player comes close to what's she's done for the game. And for women's sports in general. It almost seems like an understatement to call her generational. She's one of one.

The more appropriate comparison, in Doodle's humble opinion, is Tiger Woods.

No, not THAT stuff....the "impact on the game" stuff.

Remember, when Tiger started his run of dominance in the mid-to-late 90s, people were proclaiming golf as a dying sport. The infusion of juice that Nicklaus' amazing 1986 Masters win gave it had long since been diffused and while there were plenty of great players on tour, there was no star power. No bright light to elevate the game. Then along came Tiger and golf became "cool" again. And golf on TV became must-see again. And golf events....all of them, not just the majors....became hot tickets and sold out again.

He single-handedly resurrected and raised up the entire sport. That is what Caitlin is doing and has done for women's hoops.

You can argue that she gets too many minutes in blowout wins, and lament the ever-creeping (but wholly predictable and inevitable) marketing oversaturation. But you simply cannot deny the immense, Tiger-like, watershed impact she has made on the sport.

That there are "fans" of women's college basketball who won't yet proclaim that CC is the greatest player in women's college history astounds me. Stats aside, look at her impact! No other women's player comes close to what's she's done for the game. And for women's sports in general. It almost seems like an understatement to call her generational. She's one of one.
The main counter i'll give to the greatest in history argument is to sit and wait a few years; let recency bias fade a bit - there's no arguing her ability/impact on the women's college sports NOW. to say the greatest ever I'd like to wait and see if what she's accomplished has staying power.

Reactions: uihawk82
I think we’ll run in to the “who did she play against” argument that inevitably comes up when discussing sports greats over different eras. With the women’s game being somewhat newer in relation, it has evolved quicker in terms of better players faster versus the “super elite”. That comes naturally as more are drawn to the sport. You can make the case that CC has gone against a larger quantity of very good players than say a Swoopes did or Cheryl Miller. Certainly not saying they weren’t great players but the overall numbers of participants is different.

Reactions: ichawk24
I am no fan of Steven A Smith but he's been beating the Caitlin drum for a while now.

This is from Thurs. Feb 1; they discuss whether she is the biggest star in basketball, both college AND pro. Stephen says she has the potential to be the biggest female star ever because she can pull up from the parking lot and she has a wonderful personality.

Hit the PLAY button:

Last edited:
Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Kim Adams is an analyst for FOX and ESPN.

In covering Iowa road games this season, Adams has been amazed at the reception that greets Caitlin.

“It’s like following a rock star. I don’t think there’s another athlete across any sport, male or female, this season that has that kind of presence. It’s insane, what we’re seeing, the level of stardom she has."'

Nice column from the Sporting News.

GettyImages-1974814829.jpg.webp

I’ve got news for Dan, most basketball fans still watch men’s games and could care less about Clark or women’s basketball. No denying she’s a great player, but he’s off the mark.
I still watch men's games and couldn't give a sh** about the outcomes of them. Our win over Minnesota did nothing for me today.

If this happened at any point in the '90s or early '00s, regardless of our record, Carver would've had the roof blown off and people would be talking about this game as an all-timer.

Today? It was a nice little comeback win that got the half empty Carver crowd to stand up and applaud the effort, as they keep their hopes of an NIT bid alive...........fart noises.

I’ve got news for Dan, most basketball fans still watch men’s games and could care less about Clark or women’s basketball. No denying she’s a great player, but he’s off the mark.
Lol.. Sure thing. Keep telling yourself that. How come when the men play at a lot of schools the arena is half empty and when CC is home or away its sold out, and all time attendance records, and people are coughing up 5-10 TIMES the face value of tickets just to see her play. Short of the Jordan Bulls this has NEVER been seen before. After her performance last night, Clark was THE lead in story on EVERY single sports talk show in ESPN, FOX, NBC, B1G network, and even some news stations. I recorded every show I could find to see what the coverage was like, and there wasn't a single show that covers sports that she wasn't THE story. Not one. I'm sure they just covered HER because most basketball fans don't really care though.....

Last edited:
Nobody watches, that’s why she’s selling out every arena she goes to. The math definitely checks out on this.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Believe it or not, Colin Cowherd had a great portion of his show on her. Talks about how her loyalty to the program is refreshing in a time where lineups change all the time.

I feel exactly the way he does. Good for the players to have the power to control their destiny, but that doesn’t mean I want to watch it. I literally could not name a single men’s player that doesn’t play in iowa. The women’s game is how I used to feel about the men’s game when I was invested in players, even if they were rivals or played 1,000 miles away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT