ADVERTISEMENT

Shogun

In Episode 5, it was kind of dark- after earthquake, and saving the guy- they pan to the army- were they dying and if so from what?

Question on Ep 5

Finally watching. Four episodes in, and really hooked. It was a little old the first episode having to read so much subtitles but the story really takes off. You can tell they spent a lot on production.

Probably just too many actors and too expensive.
From what I read, it is more because this follows the book to its end and there is no more source material after that. So they always intended to have it as a one off mini series. Of course, success has a way of changing things. Apparently, the author has another five books in his Asian series but they pick up in the future and in different lands with no overlap of characters, so perhaps they would try the next one chronologically? I enjoy the interactions of culture in this one. We get a ton of movies and literature about Europeans meeting and associations with people in North and South America but so little on the first interactions in Asia that came not far after.

From what I read, it is more because this follows the book to its end and there is no more source material after that. So they always intended to have it as a one off mini series. Of course, success has a way of changing things. Apparently, the author has another five books in his Asian series but they pick up in the future and in different lands with no overlap of characters.
You quoted me before I edited my post!

I can’t help but root for Anjin/Blackthorne with his English customs. Give me rabbit stew any day.

images
Mariko is smoking hot. That is all.

Reactions: Brian_Fantana
From what I read, it is more because this follows the book to its end and there is no more source material after that. So they always intended to have it as a one off mini series. Of course, success has a way of changing things. Apparently, the author has another five books in his Asian series but they pick up in the future and in different lands with no overlap of characters, so perhaps they would try the next one chronologically? I enjoy the interactions of culture in this one. We get a ton of movies and literature about Europeans meeting and associations with people in North and South America but so little on the first interactions in Asia that came not far after.

Maybe they go American Horror story and do all of his books and just do new stories.

Better yet, do Tai-Pan.
Tai-Pan was done a long time ago; very well done, believe it was a mini-series. Same for Noble House. In fact, I think the entire Asia Saga has been done at least once, except for Gai-Jan and Whirlwind. All were great books.

Just started yesterday. Can't say I have ever sat and watched 5 1 hour long episodes b2b2b2b2b but I did yesterday (granted, I was on a 5 hour long flight). Phenomenal show so far. Best I have seen in awhile. Looking forward to the second half.

It’s up there. I probably have enjoyed lessons in chemistry the most.
I tried to like that but it was too slow and her monotonous tone drove me crazy. Think I got maybe 5-6 episodes into it before I gave up.

Great show. Did I miss what happened to the gal that was Blackthorns consort that he was living with? Her character was played really well.

And yes - Mariko is a smokeshow.

I tried to like that but it was too slow and her monotonous tone drove me crazy. Think I got maybe 5-6 episodes into it before I gave up.
They payoff at the end is great, in my book. I would put it in my top 10 series in terms of enjoyment. Below I tried to make a top 10, but I couldn't. Shows I've loved include, in no particular order:
  • Game of thrones
  • the last of us
  • lessons in chemistry
  • osark
  • lost
  • shogun
  • alone (the survival show)
  • modern family
  • this is us
  • breaking bad
  • mad men
  • mare of easttown
  • the office
  • fawlty towers
  • Fallout
  • it's always sunny in philadelphia
  • curb your enthusiasm
  • simpsons
  • mash
  • parks and rec
  • arrested development

Reactions: TennNole17
Anyone else underwhelmed by the final episode?

Absolutely loved the series but they probably could (should) have had 12 total episodes.

Seemed liked they crammed a whole bunch of stuff into episode 10 :(

Probably a $$$ thing.
Yes. Must have run out of budget, where we just saw troops amassing but no battle. Overall I loved the series but lack of an amazing finale downgrades it for me, a bit.

Yes. Must have run out of budget, where we just saw troops amassing but no battle. Overall I loved the series but lack of an amazing finale downgrades it for me, a bit.
Loved the series.

Watched a few interviews with the stars and producers about the series.

Apparently they had a switch from the original producers (the Toranaga (sp?) actor became a producer). Anyway, just seemed like a rush job for the final episode. That one episode easily could have been made into 2 or 3 to flesh it out.

Still loved it as a whole but could have been so much more.

As far as the troops amassing for a battle...thought the CGI was really sub par, barely could make out the troops. Was looking forward to an awesome battle scene :(

Reactions: TennNole17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT