ADVERTISEMENT

Shootout in W Dallas street caught on Ring doorbell

Economy was better then too, look at what's happening with the stores in cities, people robbing peoples front porches. Then that behavior gets dismissed as people being hungry, or, we can't demonize the "kids" . There need to be tighter gun laws, but more on the if you use one in a crime, you go away for 3 to 5 years minimum. Make room for them by decriminalizing drugs.
The economy was not better in 2007-2009 yet the gun deaths were still very low. They started rising significantly when the economy was booming in 2015 and beyond.

I don't disagree with stiffer penalties for using a gun in a crime but that falls far short of what is needed to start bringing gun deaths down to previous levels.

In other news, this statement remains 100% true. And very easily proven. But, Riley…. 🙂
No, they were not even close to "less than half the rate per 100,000 but have had an increase since Covid". The rate was 4.37 firearm homicides per 100K in 2019 and 7.02 per 100K at the height in 1993.

SMFH

I hear you, brother. I've lived in actual third world countries. Mauritania, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh to be exact. Cheers 🍻
Even if you go to many of the Bahama islands or Jamaica, you will be startled if you have lived here your whole life. I know I was.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfgiowa
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Homicide rates, Riley. HOMICIDE RATES. As the post mentioned. As his statement referred entirely to. Not firearms deaths. Two very different statistics. What he said is correct. Very simple. Yet, you still Riley it up.
JFC - I gave you the rates in the previous post and they are not close to supporting "less than half the rate per 100,000 but have had an increase since Covid"

Or are you so stupid that you think 4.37 is less than half of 7.02? I could definitely see that being the case.

JFC - I gave you the rates in the previous post and they are not close to supporting "less than half the rate per 100,000 but have had an increase since Covid"

Or are you so stupid that you think 4.37 is less than half of 7.02? I could definitely see that being the case.

You cherry picked. Post them all and watch what happens. Let’s see them.

You cherry picked. Post them all and watch what happens. Let’s see them.
All of what? He said the pandemic caused the rate to rise above 1/2 the rate per 100K and that's simply not true. I gave the rate in 2019 before the pandemic started.

You're flailing - and failing.

1994 the bill was passed in a bipartisan manner because they thought it was best for the country. According to you, more Republicans now mean what is best for the country is not as important as what is best for the party.
A repeat of the 1994 assault weapons ban does absolutely nothing for the country. It didn’t do squat for the country the 10 years it was in effect. Now, you got millions more in circulation. The 1994 ban didn’t confiscate weapons already in circulation. Putting an assault weapons ban in place “as a good start” is asinine if you look at the numbers.

Reactions: Gimmered
1994 the bill was passed in a bipartisan manner because they thought it was best for the country. According to you, more Republicans now mean what is best for the country is not as important as what is best for the party.
Here's the problem with the claims that the Assault weapons ban worked. These are what the rifles looked like before and after the ban.
main-qimg-6339fc59df7876b3f548bbc368ba08ce-lq

The function of the rifles were identical. By removing the bayonet lug and the flash suppresser, the same rifle was no longer an assault weapon. They still fire the exact same round at the exact same rate at the exact same velocity.

So, tighten up the rules? well many States have done that. New York for example. This is the result of that attempt.
848037024589__12371.1634580439.jpg

This is the style of weapon that was used in the Buffalo mass shooting. Others too if I remember right. Now, you would be right to note that the magazine is limited to hold fewer rounds. It should also be noted that they will accept standard 30 round magazines also.

So, get rid of semi auto AR15s all together?

812441027986__35792.1595947062.png

This pump action AR-15 style rifle is legal in all 50 States. Slightly slower rate of fire, but just as deadly.

This is all without even touching the fact that an assault weapons ban would most likely fall in the courts before it ever became law. Bipartisanship and public support will have zero effect on that one.

As long as the 2nd amendment stands, we are going to have a gun problem. Right now, we are seeing the results of idiots rushing out to buy guns. It's going to get worse.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Here's the problem with the claims that the Assault weapons ban worked. These are what the rifles looked like before and after the ban.
main-qimg-6339fc59df7876b3f548bbc368ba08ce-lq

The function of the rifles were identical. By removing the bayonet lug and the flash suppresser, the same rifle was no longer an assault weapon. They still fire the exact same round at the exact same rate at the exact same velocity.

So, tighten up the rules? well many States have done that. New York for example. This is the result of that attempt.
848037024589__12371.1634580439.jpg

This is the style of weapon that was used in the Buffalo mass shooting. Others too if I remember right. Now, you would be right to note that the magazine is limited to hold fewer rounds. It should also be noted that they will accept standard 30 round magazines also.

So, get rid of semi auto AR15s all together?

812441027986__35792.1595947062.png

This pump action AR-15 style rifle is legal in all 50 States. Slightly slower rate of fire, but just as deadly.

This is all without even touching the fact that an assault weapons ban would most likely fall in the courts before it ever became law. Bipartisanship and public support will have zero effect on that one.

As long as the 2nd amendment stands, we are going to have a gun problem. Right now, we are seeing the results of idiots rushing out to buy guns. It's going to get worse.
So, these are impossible hurdles to overcome?

So, these are impossible hurdles to overcome?
No, not at all. It will be difficult, but it is doable.

The courts have painted gun rights into a corner. The second amendment does restrict what the government can do as much as the gun rights groups have claimed. Shall no be infringed means what it says. We need to accept this and remove the barrier.

A repeat of the 1994 assault weapons ban does absolutely nothing for the country. It didn’t do squat for the country the 10 years it was in effect. Now, you got millions more in circulation. The 1994 ban didn’t confiscate weapons already in circulation. Putting an assault weapons ban in place “as a good start” is asinine if you look at the numbers.
Not true at all. 28% drop in gun deaths from 1993 to 2000. 25% overall through 2004. Gun deaths rose from there and precipitously from 2015 - 2021.

• Haha
Reactions: Gimmered
No, not at all. It will be difficult, but it is doable.

The courts have painted gun rights into a corner. The second amendment does restrict what the government can do as much as the gun rights groups have claimed. Shall not be infringed means what it says. We need to accept this and remove the barrier.
So does "well regulated militia" but that is regularly ignored.

To your point, even shall not be infringed isn't absolute either. Is it legal for a citizen to own a nuclear weapon? I know that's an extreme but there are major hurdles (infringements) that prevent people from owning all types of military weapons.

So does "well regulated militia" but that is regularly ignored.

To your point, even shall not be infringed isn't absolute either. Is it legal for a citizen to own a nuclear weapon? I know that's an extreme but there are major hurdles (infringements) that prevent people from owning all types of military weapons.
We can accept that well regulated has been answered or not. But what does the or not get us? Bearable arms commonly used for lawful purpose also has been answered.

Are we trying to prevent deaths from guns or nuclear arms today? As I said it won't be easy, but with your take on it it won't happen at all.

So " rifles " only accounted for 364 deaths of the 14K homicides? Of course not all rifles are assault rifles. They could be so single shot .22s for all we know. Most gun deaths are hand guns, illegally possessed by gangs in the cities...

Many would argue the US is already a third world nation...with technology and rich sprinkled in between.
That's such a pathetic thing to say it's not even funny. Third world counties the people have little if any access to food, let alone guns. Anyone that makes those statements needs to go see a third world country first hand and they would stfu pretty quick if they had any common sense.

Reactions: TornadoHawk93
There need to be tighter gun laws, but more on the if you use one in a crime, you go away for 3 to 5 years minimum. Make room for them by decriminalizing drugs.
I disagree that we should focus gun laws exclusively on sentencing, but agree that trading out drug crimes for gun crimes in prison sentencing is a good move.

That's such a pathetic thing to say it's not even funny. Third world counties the people have little if any access to food, let alone guns. Anyone that makes those statements needs to go see a third world country first hand and they would stfu pretty quick if they had any common sense.
I have lived in a few...Mauritania, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan. Lived there with USAID and Dept. of State. Didn't mean to upset you with my post.

I have lived in a few...Mauritania, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan. Lived there with USAID and Dept. of State. Didn't mean to upset you with my post.
Not upsetting me, if you have been to 3rd world counties then you should know to tell people they are idiots for making that comparison. That's all.

Factcheck’s take on the influence of the 1994 assault weapons ban. Their conclusion: Inconclusive evidence exists that banning assault weapons reduced mass shootings. Nothing can be said with any degree of certainty. This conclusion is based on a number of studies. Not exactly the slam dunk that Rileyrea has been shooting out of his ass, is it.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/03/factchecking-bidens-claim-that-assault-weapons-ban-worked/
What they do confirm is that gun deaths went down significantly after the Assault Weapon Ban was put in place and rose after it was rescinded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT