ADVERTISEMENT

Should Biden Reinstate Trump border policies he reversed?

Should Biden reinstate Trump border policies?

• Yes. They worked. He should just do it.

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • They worked but no he should never admit it or do it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. They didn’t work.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • No. Nothing Trump ever did was better therefore, no.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Yes. Just to shut people up about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So the blame lies on a president choosing not to use executive power (again, something meant for emergencies) but not on a Congress that has openly stated they won't address the issue because it would help that president's election campaign?

Even Republican senators have encouraged passing the current bill.

It is not Biden or the Democrats choosing to not address this issue. That is clear.
I never blamed nor asked anyone to assign blame. I asked if he should reverse his reversals. You obviously think he shouldn’t. You are in a small minority who think that.

Allowing up to 4,999 crossings a days is not good legislation.
Maybe so, but the point I was agreeing with is that Congress needs to step up and fulfill its constitutional role on the issue. Their collective failure to do so is directly responsible for the problems we're seeing today. No legislation is going to be flawless, but I don't think we should let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Look at the 1986 IRCA. Along with the regulations on employers, it granted a ton of amnesty. The GOP lauded the bill and Reagan was eager to sign it. That bill is unfathomable today with all the grandstanding around immigration.

Reactions: Joes Place
Wait what. Biden clearly made public that the border is wide open by ending the Trump era policies that were working.

This is a ****ing disaster that the Democrats aren’t going to be able to wiggle out of.

That’s why the move of Governor Abbot and DeSantis to send them to Democrat cities was pure genius. Make them feel the pain and then move the public opinion.
House Republicans are just as guilty for the chaos at the border.

I think Trump worked in part because he talked tough. Yes, you could argue that it was stupid and unintellectual, but it may have produced real results.

I think there may be the perception that Biden is soft, especially since Trump is gone. That's jn part leading to the mass of visitors we're seeing.

At any rate, it seems to be an unorderly mess. America can remain a immigration centric country without being a chaotic mess.

(Of course America itself, compared to much of the west, will always be a chaotic mess)

Maybe so, but the point I was agreeing with is that Congress needs to step up and fulfill its constitutional role on the issue. Their collective failure to do so is directly responsible for the problems we're seeing today. No legislation is going to be flawless, but I don't think we should let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Look at the 1986 IRCA. Along with the regulations on employers, it granted a ton of amnesty. The GOP lauded the bill and Reagan was eager to sign it. That bill is unfathomable today with all the grandstanding around immigration.
The House passed HR2. So why no blame for Chuck Schumer when it was dead on arrival. But if republicans don’t think it goes far enough to protect our country, dead on arrival means it’s the republicans fault.

And then theirs Biden reversing what was in place.

The House passed HR2. So why no blame for Chuck Schumer when it was dead on arrival. But if republicans don’t think it goes far enough to protect our country, dead on arrival means it’s the republicans fault.

And then theirs Biden reversing what was in place.
Both parties share blame for the unwillingness to compromise. Part of the problem with HR2 was that it came with an ultimatum to pass it as is or we will move to cut DHS funding. It was pretty draconian in some policies but compromise could have been attempted if both chambers were willing. It also did nothing to improve pathways for legal immigration, which are so dysfunctional that they incentivize illegal entry.

Americans have a range of views on immigration, and probably a majority in the middle would agree on most things. With that, it's unreasonable for a minority view on either side to expect to get their way in every particular. Put up a bill that deals with the years long backlog for those trying to enter legally, add manpower and even barriers where they would be effective, clean up the asylum process that does invite abuse add greater penalties for employers who knowingly hire undocumented workers, and work with Pan Am countries to try to lessen the flow of people right to our border instead of other places in C. and S. America. It will cost money, but probably less in the long run than trying to put out fire after fire under the current flawed system. It won't fix everything overnight, but that's no reason not to try for incremental improvement.

Again, that is all assuming there is actually the political will to work toward a solution rather than yell about the problems and point fingers at the other side.

Uh....The WH and Dems HAVE compromised, on a bill the OK Republican pushed.

You seem to not understand what "compromise" means.
Over time, yes there is blame both ways. But I agree that the recent bill was a good compromise effort that had broad bipartisan support until Trump's ramblings caused the GOP to back out.

Over time, yes there is blame both ways. But I agree that the recent bill was a good compromise effort that had broad bipartisan support until Trump's ramblings caused the GOP to back out.
The GOP has been "backed out" of governance for about the past decade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT