ADVERTISEMENT

Should I fly to Florida on Wednesday?

Jul 30, 2004
The hurricane seems to have left Florida and sadly, a number of lives have likely been diminished, which is a very sad thing. I feel badly even making a post about Hurricane Irma that relates to myself in any way as I live nearly 2000 miles from where the worst wreckage was. In fact, I was sickened to read things from well-to-do Midwesterners on social media expressing concern for their winter homes over the weekend. Insurance will cover everything and you will be just fine, unlike many poor folks who live in Florida.

With that said, it just so happens that one of my wife's best friends is getting married on Friday in Plant City, FL (never been, apparently its halfway between Tampa and Orlando). My wife, six-month old son, and I are slated to fly into Tampa Interational on Wednesday.

Should we make this trip? It seems as though flights are likely to resume on Wednesday, but my concerns would be as follows:

1. Flooding
2. Will power still be out?
3. Are the roads safe?
4. If Hurricane Jose hits, could we potentially be stuck?

I would appreciate any and all insight. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure "diminished" is the word you want to use in that sentence. "Lost" might be a better choice. "Severely impacted" would work as well.
"Diminished" implies they were somehow made less important or relevant.

The hurricane seems to have left Florida and sadly, a number of lives have likely been diminished, which is a very sad thing. I feel badly even making a post about Hurricane Irma that relates to myself in any way as I live nearly 2000 miles from where the worst wreckage was. In fact, I was sickened to read things from well-to-do Midwesterners on social media expressing concern for their winter homes over the weekend. Insurance will cover everything and you will be just fine, unlike many poor folks who live in Florida.

With that said, it just so happens that one of my wife's best friends is getting married on Friday in Plant City, FL (never been, apparently its halfway between Tampa and Orlando). My wife, six-month old son, and I are slated to fly into Tampa Interational on Wednesday.

Should we make this trip? It seems as though flights are likely to resume on Wednesday, but my concerns would be as follows:

1. Flooding
2. Will power still be out?
3. Are the roads safe?
4. If Hurricane Jose hits, could we potentially be stuck?

I would appreciate any and all insight. Thanks in advance.
Why not ask the people who's wedding you are attending? Seems they might know way more about that situation.

Reactions: goldmom
I'm going to guess that your flight is canceled so the question is moot.
latest

Tampa and Orlando airports open by then but power could still be iffy.

Just because the airport is open it doesn't necessarily mean your flights will go. Aircraft has to be in position and with so many flights being cancelled this past week it is anybodies guess whether yours will actually be there. Are you staying in a hotel? I would probably call them to see what their situation is.

My wife is in the wedding, and bride-to-be has major bridezilla potential, so I would have no faith in her to provide an objective opinion.
You should stay home just to piss off bridezilla. Can't stand people like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT