ADVERTISEMENT

Should KF be allowed back in 2026 if he still hasn't passed Woody by the end of 2025?

Should KF be allowed back in 2026 if he still hasn't passed Woody by the end of 2025?

• Total voters

MeetTheFerentzes

HB Heisman
Sep 6, 2022
Just trying to be real. As much as I and a large portion of the fan base would appreciate it if KF would gracefully retire at the end of this season, I think anyone being objective would say that he is not going to walk away on his own assuming he's still short of Woody's wins total, and BG is not going to fire him one year removed from a 10-win season when he has a new OC (as forced upon by her). I think most would agree that the most likely scenario is that KF coaches through 2025, passes Woody's win total by a few, then calls it quits.

The big question is - What happens if things get really bad, to the point that Iowa is not able to scratch together 6 more wins between now and the end of 2025? We could argue about how likely that is, but for the sake of this poll/discussion, I want to assume Iowa is not able to do this - say they finish this season 6-7 and next season 3-9. In that scenario, assuming KF wants to come back, should he be allowed to?

He will probably get 3 more this year and only need 3 next year. Unlikely they won’t hit the portal and land some solid veterans to mix in with their younger guys. Tough for me to not see him get 6 wins over the next 15 tries.

Just trying to be real. As much as I and a large portion of the fan base would appreciate it if KF would gracefully retire at the end of this season, I think anyone being objective would say that he is not going to walk away on his own assuming he's still short of Woody's wins total, and BG is not going to fire him one year removed from a 10-win season when he has a new OC (as forced upon by her). I think most would agree that the most likely scenario is that KF coaches through 2025, passes Woody's win total by a few, then calls it quits.

The big question is - What happens if things get really bad, to the point that Iowa is not able to scratch together 6 more wins between now and the end of 2025? We could argue about how likely that is, but for the sake of this poll/discussion, I want to assume Iowa is not able to do this - say they finish this season 6-7 and next season 3-9. In that scenario, assuming KF wants to come back, should he be allowed to?
I think if the scenario you laid out plays out (2 straight losing seasons), then I think KF would retire and negotiate a buyout of, say, 50% of his remaining contract value at the end of 2025. But if he doesn't want to retire, I think if you're Beth, you pay the $21M that would be due at that point and fire him. Football is too valuable to let more than 2 losing seasons in a row happen.

"Allowed back", lol.
Uh, yeah. KF is working because BG is allowing it, just like you're working where you do because your boss is allowing it. Not a difficult concept.

It looks like you'd want KF back in this scenario. When exactly would you like to see Iowa field a high-quality football team again?

There's no cavalry coming to save Iowa. Ferentz has Iowa by the balls. Do we have any rich donors? Harry Stine, the richest man in Iowa has given money to Iowa State. I don't think he has given a penny to U o I.

Uh, yeah. KF is working because BG is allowing it, just like you're working where you do because your boss is allowing it. Not a difficult concept.

It looks like you'd want KF back in this scenario. When exactly would you like to see Iowa field a high-quality football team again?
I work where I do because I'm the owner. I'd like Iowa to field a high-quality football team as soon as possible, and I think Kirk Ferentz gives us the best odds, by far, of that happening.

"Allowed", lol.

Maybe like a game by game contract - we hire the real next head coach but he agrees to let KF be labeled as head coach until he passes Woody? (Lol, Woody)

What a STUPID f***ing question ? You have too much time on your hands. Maybe take up knitting.

• Haha
Reactions: Hendy hawk
Kirk will !save when HE wants. Only stupid fans would think otherwise. His contract goes through 2029. Unless he has several losing seasons in a row, he won't get fired.

I appreciate the hypotheticals, but you have to think about what the most positive outcome is if your intention is to get rid of Kirk.

If that's a 6-7 finish to this year where we go 2-4 down the stretch, which means the team quit or aliens abducted their limbs, and then followed that with a dead program 3-9 or worse record in 2025, then what could happen besides Kirk just coming back in 2026 anyway, for him to not lose his job or step away by then?.................................

And that's pretty easy.

We aren't finishing this season only 2-4. I know that's wishful thinking to those who want Kirk gone.

...........our pessimistic Iowa fans' pessimism hasn't gotten you what you want to this point in your lives other than the self-fulfilling prophecy of more losing...........................so why is that gonna change now?

I wish you all good luck though. :D

What a STUPID f***ing question ? You have too much time on your hands. Maybe take up knitting.
You obviously don't like the idea of Iowa football crashing and burning under KF over the next 14 months, but it doesn't mean that the questions isn't legit. I sincerely want to know who the blindly loyal KF followers are who would still want him back in 2026 even if the team goes 5-13 between now and the end of the 2025 season.

So what you say?

I appreciate the hypotheticals, but you have to think about what the most positive outcome is if your intention is to get rid of Kirk.

If that's a 6-7 finish to this year where we go 2-4 down the stretch, which means the team quit or aliens abducted their limbs, and then followed that with a dead program 3-9 or worse record in 2025, then what could happen besides Kirk just coming back in 2026 anyway, for him to not lose his job or step away by then?.................................

And that's pretty easy.

We aren't finishing this season only 2-4. I know that's wishful thinking to those who want Kirk gone.

...........our pessimistic Iowa fans' pessimism hasn't gotten you what you want to this point in your lives other than the self-fulfilling prophecy of more losing...........................so why is that gonna change now?

I wish you all good luck though. :D
I see you voted “no.” That makes sense, which is good, because whatever you just posted doesn’t.

You obviously don't like the idea of Iowa football crashing and burning under KF over the next 14 months, but it doesn't mean that the questions isn't legit. I sincerely want to know who the blindly loyal KF followers are who would still want him back in 2026 even if the team goes 5-13 between now and the end of the 2025 season.

So what you say?
Hell Yes !, but he will do much better than your prediction.

I work where I do because I'm the owner. I'd like Iowa to field a high-quality football team as soon as possible, and I think Kirk Ferentz gives us the best odds, by far, of that happening.

"Allowed", lol.
Let me guess, pig farmer? I'm kidding, but I agree with you. Long live Kirk, & in Kirk we trust!

So what you say?
So you'd like to see Iowa go 0-20 under Kirk and see him get fired? WTF are you from Nebraska? Wisconsin? or Illinois?

Kirk has been everything to Iowa football for the past 25+ years. Give him the credit & respect he deserves. Let me guess, you're Scott Frost in a cornhusker costume aren't you? Get yourself off....

corn cob GIF

A 3 win Hayden-esque ending would be the end of the Ferentz era. 3 wins means Kirk would tuck his tail between his legs, sail off into the sunset, and retire without a buyout (or at least under a mutual separation agreement). It would be a sad ending, but it would be final closure.

The real problem for the KF naysayers is a 5 or even a 6 win season in 2025. If he gets a bowl berth he'll convince himself "he's still got it", and he'll keep chasing the 60% win threshold. Then we're officially in Bobby Bowden territory.

Reactions: TXHCHawk
A 3 win Hayden-esque ending would be the end of the Ferentz era. 3 wins means Kirk would tuck his tail between his legs, sail off into the sunset, and retire without a buyout (or at least under a mutual separation agreement). It would be a sad ending, but it would be final closure.

The real problem for the KF naysayers is a 5 or even a 6 win season in 2025. If he gets a bowl berth he'll convince himself "he's still got it", and he'll keep chasing the 60% win threshold. Then we're officially in Bobby Bowden territory.
The real problem for the KF antagonists is they believe Iowa is Ohio St. Enjoy & appreciate what Kirk has brought to Iowa and the 8+ wins per season, playing in Big10 championship games and bowl games almost every season. Or just continue drinking your Keystone Lights, bitching about not winning a natty every freaking year & whining about how your ice cream isn't cold enough.

moron

ice cream eating GIF

Season 6 National Ice Cream Day GIF by Ex On The Beach

The real problem for the KF antagonists is they believe Iowa is Ohio St. Enjoy & appreciate what Kirk has brought to Iowa and the 8+ wins per season, playing in Big10 championship games and bowl games almost every season. Or just continue drinking your Keystone Lights, bitching about not winning a natty every freaking year & whining about how your ice cream isn't cold enough.

moron

ice cream eating GIF

Nice strawman. A lot of us just want to win the conference and we aren't complaining about not winning a natty...don't lump us in with Nebraska fans.

After winning a conference championship, most college football coaches get roughly 7 seasons of leeway to win their next one, a bit longer if they've won it multiple times already.

So you tell us, how many seasons should pass between winning conference championships before before the fans have a right to feel dissatisfied and the athletic department has the "right" to pull the plug on a coach?

10 seasons?
14 seasons?
18 seasons?
20 seasons? (Hint: you are here)

melting black and white GIF

Can you even find another example of a FBS coach who was given 20 seasons of leeway without winning his conference?

Iowa has been more patient than any fanbase in modern history.

Last edited:
I see you voted “no.” That makes sense, which is good, because whatever you just posted doesn’t.
Calm down, first of all.

Secondly, it's not that hard to figure out. We aren't going 2-4 to finish this season, so your wishful thinking is just that, and I don't care if you want to come back and downplay it as such.................... :D :D :D :D

The 60% threshhold is going to begin slipping away. Next year looks nothing like 8-4. This is not going to end well for KFz.

Most fans truly feel that, since KF doesn't do what we want him to do, he is in it only for money and records. I don't think that's true. I think he likes coaching. I don't think I've ever heard a reference to him playing golf or going fishing. You never hear about big vacations. He still lives in the same house he bought when he came to Iowa (I think). And as far as records go, he doesn't seem like the type to chase a record.

I don't think he is looking forward to retirement like a lot of people do. He enjoys what he is doing and was given a contract that allows him to do it,

We have no idea what BG is thinking either. But I seriously doubt she is freaking out about the football program.

Other the other hand, he will be 70 at the start of next season. He's the same age as me. Even if he can handle the physical strain, the mental toil has to be working on him. At some point you think, "I don't need this sh*t".

For now, he's in control. How these next 5 games go may tell us (and KF) something about the future.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
So you'd like to see Iowa go 0-20 under Kirk and see him get fired?
Link?

Kirk has been everything to Iowa football for the past 25+ years. Give him the credit & respect he deserves.
I have and I do. Giving him those things doesn't mean giving him a free pass to stay as long as he wants no matter how bad things get.

Let me guess, you're Scott Frost in a cornhusker costume aren't you? Get yourself off....
Don't quit your day job. Your attempts at humor suck.

The real problem for the KF antagonists is they believe Iowa is Ohio St.
No one thinks that. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE. Some of us are old enough to remember when Iowa would give the B1G elites a run for their money, despite the disadvantages, and even pull off a conference championship every once in a while. Oh, and I also remember having an offense that wasn't a national joke. None of those things have happened for a long time under KF (no respectable offense in 4-5 years, no win against elite team in 7 years, no B1G championship in 20 years), and Iowa having a sub-.500 season in 2025 would not give me or very many others confidence that KF is suddenly going to turn things around at age 70+.

Last edited:

moron

ice cream eating GIF

Lol, the magical power of low expectations. Love it.

This. Ferentz isn’t going anywhere. And the mad uprising against him that the OP sees is utter bullshit. At least among donors and season ticket holders. It sure exists on this forum though.
My experience is the opposite. Every single long-time Iowa fan I know is completely fed-up with KF and has been for quite some time. The only place I find his blindly loyal supporters is on this board.

Most fans truly feel that, since KF doesn't do what we want him to do, he is in it only for money and records. I don't think that's true. I think he likes coaching. I don't think I've ever heard a reference to him playing golf or going fishing. You never hear about big vacations. He still lives in the same house he bought when he came to Iowa (I think). And as far as records go, he doesn't seem like the type to chase a record.

I don't think he is looking forward to retirement like a lot of people do. He enjoys what he is doing and was given a contract that allows him to do it,

We have no idea what BG is thinking either. But I seriously doubt she is freaking out about the football program.

Other the other hand, he will be 70 at the start of next season. He's the same age as me. Even if he can handle the physical strain, the mental toil has to be working on him. At some point you think, "I don't need this sh*t".

For now, he's in control. How these next 5 games go may tell us (and KF) something about the future.
KFz sees himself as a teacher, a developer of players and people. That's great. He'll be perfectly happy to keep teaching and leverage his tenure as long as he can. Winning is nice, but it's not the priority.

Reactions: TXHCHawk
KFz sees himself as a teacher, a developer of players and people. That's great. He'll be perfectly happy to keep teaching and leverage his tenure as long as he can. Winning is nice, but it's not the priority.
Sounds like he'd be a great H.S. chemistry teacher and Pop Warner coach. Maybe he ought to step aside and leave the Iowa football program to someone who actually cares about winning.

maybe we will get Kirk v 34.0 or whatever version we are up to. In all honesty, Lester is making strides, it's just not where it needs to be. Kirk will be here unless he decides to hang it up, and there's no sense in saying he should be gone. Adding to that, it isn't as if the hire will come from outside of the program, things will look very similar with Kirk or without Kirk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT