ADVERTISEMENT

Shutdown Update...

Shutdown Strike
LoneWindingDeviltasmanian-max-1mb.gif

Trump says he is getting close using national security funds to get his wall built. Which would come out of the military budget. Which means that instead of Mexico paying for the wall the military nows has to.

It's funny, the dems are just as guilty of not resolving this as the repubbers are, yet nobody is calling them out. Wonder why???

Not really wondering why, everybody already knows.

It's funny, the dems are just as guilty of not resolving this as the repubbers are, yet nobody is calling them out. Wonder why???

...because the Dems just passed the same Senate bill the Senate did (100-0, btw), and the Senate has suddenly decided they're all against their own funding bill.

There's no rational world in which this is not 100% on Trump and Republicans. None.

Go fvck yourself Joe. You know damn well that games are being played by both sides. Then again you are probably too fvcking stupid to understand that. Pull your head out of your ass.
What we know:
  1. Trump said on tape he was responsible for the shutdown
  2. House has passed two bills, with Republican support, to reopen government
  3. Senate passed a bill, with full Republican support, to reopen government
  4. But Trump says no to all of this
Spin it whatever way you need to but these are the cold hard facts. Trump is clearly to blame.

Go fvck yourself Joe. You know damn well that games are being played by both sides. Then again you are probably too fvcking stupid to understand that. Pull your head out of your ass.

Why don’t we just sign the Senate bill into law and then play hardball with Mexico to get them to pay for the wall?

Reactions: noleclone2
Trump says he is getting close using national security funds to get his wall built. Which would come out of the military budget. Which means that instead of Mexico paying for the wall the military nows has to.

Truman tried to seize the steel mills during the Korean war claiming a national emergency and couldn't do it by law. I doubt this "national emergency" would "Trump" that.

Reactions: Joes Place
Truman tried to seize the steel mills during the Korean war claiming a national emergency and couldn't do it by law. I doubt this "national emergency" would "Trump" that.
Probably. It would have to challenged in the courts first. I have little doubt one of the lower courts will rule this move unconstitutional just as soon as Trump pulls the trigger on it. Then it's up to the Supremes to decide if they want to reverse that.

Why is McConnell afraid to put the house bills to a vote? It must be because he knows that even though the President might veto them, the congress would have the votes to override the veto. McConnell is giving away the power of the legislative branch. What would it hurt to take a vote and deal with the consequences?

Probably. It would have to challenged in the courts first. I have little doubt one of the lower courts will rule this move unconstitutional just as soon as Trump pulls the trigger on it. Then it's up to the Supremes to decide if they want to reverse that.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/06/politics/adam-schiff-trump-wall-cnntv/index.html

The idea has met pushback from some, including California Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff, who said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union" that he did not think Trump would be able to use emergency powers to build a wall at the southern border.
"Look, if Harry Truman couldn't nationalize the steel industry during wartime, this President doesn't have the power to declare an emergency and build a multibillion dollar wall on the border," Schiff said. "So that's a non-starter."

I kind of hope he tries it, because I think he will fail miserably. Like I said in another thread if he really believes he has the power there would be no reason to keep the government shutdown.

That will probably hurt business (airlines and those whose workers are traveling). But of course you don't care about that either.

The pain of a shutdown often affects numerous people. Maybe you should contact your Dem representatives to tell them that their flip flopping on border security is unacceptable. For starters, there are numerous Schumer videos from previous years for your review.

I kind of hope he tries it, because I think he will fail miserably. Like I said in another thread if he really believes he has the power there would be no reason to keep the government shutdown.
Unless Trump wants the the government shutdown because it distracts from the struggling market and more importantly, the Mueller nightmare. I could see Trump declaring it an emergency just to further push the focus onto the shutdown where he gets to pretend that he is holding strong and upholding campaign promises instead of having everyone focusing on what crimes he has committed.

Wendy, your side is too busy taunting Trump rather than trying to come to an agreement.
Dems just passed two CRs and would gladly pass the same CR the Senate Republicans unanimously supported. There are only two men standing in the way of this: Trump and Mitch. Every other Republican Senator voted for a CR without wall funding. Mitch needs to let them have their voices heard by allowing the Senate to vote. Can you honestly say that this is all on the Dems when Mitch won't even allow a vote that every last one of his members, including him, previously supported?

Dems just passed two CRs and would gladly pass the same CR the Senate Republicans unanimously supported. There are only two men standing in the way of this: Trump and Mitch. Every other Republican Senator voted for a CR without wall funding. Mitch needs to let them have their voices heard by allowing the Senate to vote. Can you honestly say that this is all on the Dems when Mitch won't even allow a vote that every last one of his members, including him, previously supported?

It was kicking the can down the road, nothing more than that.

No more.

You completely avoided my points:

The House voted for a CR without wall funding
The Senate voted for a CR without wall funding
So why don't we have a CR if not for Trump?

Only to kick the can down the road. Both legislative bodies and numerous presidents have avoided illegal immigration and border security issues for years.

No more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT