ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Scott Frost vs. Kirk Ferentz (Athlon)

You can bring your pillow to Iowa City this fall. The Big 12 is

Oh dude, burn. I think you despise Nebraska more than me and I grew up in SW Iowa during their glory years. I know Johhny Rodgers, yes he had a gun, but the police say he didn't have a gun . So Nebraska history says he didn't have a gun.

Nebraska made a living for many years beating up on weaklings. Their game with OU was a 50/50 proposition. The scholarship reduction took a major toll on them and other teams started to catch up to them. Their defense became progressively weaker throughout the 80s and they eventually decided gang bangers from California were required to add speed to their defense. This fueled their championship run in the 90s. The Lawrence Phillips episode (yes, I know he wasn't from California) was one of the most despicable events in the history of college sports. But it was all good with Osborne nation. He couldn't be put on the straight and narrow unless he was on the team. Dantonio is a disciple of that philosophy. Vermeil was also interested in rehabilitating him. Interesting that there is a correlation between the number of second chances a guy gets and his 40 time. LP finally did the world a favor and removed himself from the gene pool in the big house. He is the poster child of Nebbie football in the 90s.

You didn't read the last part that says in the modern era from 1962-Present we are still the winningest team in College football yes and even with our down years! Your puffing your chest out because you did something anyone with a pulse should've done to us the last 2 years. You Iowegians brag about blowing us out all 3 years of Riley's tenure which is completely far from the truth, while you may have won the last 2 in blowout fashion 2015 is a whole different story as you won via 4 int's 28-20 but we stomped a mudhole in your undefeated teams arse and as I said you didn't beat us that game as we handed that game to you on a silver platter. You couldn't win that game without our help because frankly you weren't good enough to win it on your own as you couldn't even really move the ball on us showing how overrated your 2015 really squad was. Stat's don't lie!. You then went on to get blown out by Sparty in the BIG Championship but got embarrased even worse by Stanford in the Rose Bowl Proving you were truly overrated that year! You still beat us though.<><><> IOW NEB
FIRST DOWNS.................. 11 22
Rushing..................... 4 7
Passing..................... 3 14
Penalty..................... 4 1
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)..... 28-153 38-137
PASSING YDS (NET)............ 97 296
Att-Comp-Int. ......... 16-9-0 45-25-4
TOTAL OFFENSE ........... 44-250 83-433
Fumble Returns-Yards........ 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards......... 3-44 0-0
Kickoff Returns-Yards...... 4-65 1-20
Int. Returns-Yards......... 4-65 0-0
Punts (Number-Avg)....... 9-30.6 5-44.6
Fumbles-Lost................ 3-1 0-0
Penalties-Yards............ 6-54 8-95
Possession Time........... 23:54 36:06
Third-Down Conv. ........ 0 of 9 7 of 16
Fourth-Down Conv. ....... 0 of 0 1 of 3
Red-Zone Scores-Chances.... 1-1 2-3
Sacks By: Number-Yards...... 0-0 0-0

More loser-speak.
Your program is a dumpster fire.
Scott Flop HAS to work out right?
If he doesn't....good Lord......I mean.....good...Lord!

Nebraska made a living for many years beating up on weaklings. Their game with OU was a 50/50 proposition. The scholarship reduction took a major toll on them and other teams started to catch up to them. Their defense became progressively weaker throughout the 80s and they eventually decided gang bangers from California were required to add speed to their defense. This fueled their championship run in the 90s. The Lawrence Phillips episode (yes, I know he wasn't from California) was one of the most despicable events in the history of college sports. But it was all good with Osborne nation. He couldn't be put on the straight and narrow unless he was on the team. Dantonio is a disciple of that philosophy. Vermeil was also interested in rehabilitating him. Interesting that there is a correlation between the number of second chances a guy gets and his 40 time. LP finally did the world a favor and removed himself from the gene pool in the big house. He is the poster child of Nebbie football in the 90s.
Christian Peters says hi. Osborne let Riley Washington continue to practice after facing second degree murder charges . And the Debbie fans that come here would once again turn their heads to this culture if they could compete again. Footnote: Frost played with a lot of these criminals.

Christian Peters says hi. Osborne let Riley Washington continue to practice after facing second degree murder charges . And the Debbie fans that come here would once again turn their heads to this culture if they could compete again. Footnote: Frost played with a lot of these criminals.
In defense of Peter, Phillips and Washington, they were all pumped so full of anabolic steroids that the rage and violence were bound to happen.

Blown out by Michigan State huh? They blew us out by about 4". They damn sure didn't hang a 70 spot on us like Wisconsin did to you.

We all got a kick out of your AD saying Ohio State better put a little something extra into the Nebraska game. They could have left their punter in Columbus last year and nobody would have noticed.

Your fanbase's general lack of self-awareness is truly something to behold. Nobody likes at their schedule and says "guys, we have a problem, we play the winningest team since 1962."

In the here and now, you're still the team that gave up 222 points in 4 games last year. Until you prove otherwise, our 3rd and 4th string RBs have that game circled knowing they might get some playing time.
They could’ve left their punter at his dorm the last decade when they’ve played Neb.

When OSU plays Neb it’s kind of like the OSU punter’s own personal bye week.

Reactions: Buck2427
Breaking Down Nebraska's Scott Frost vs. Iowa's Kirk Ferentz
by Brandon Cavanaugh, Athlon Sports

Athlon Sports recently unveiled its Big Ten coach rankings for the 2018 college football season. Nebraska's Scott Frost, the newest head coach in the conference, came in seventh, one spot ahead of Iowa's Kirk Ferentz, the Big Ten's (and FBS') most senior leader. Not surprisingly, this has a number of people crying foul on both sides and from national perspectives.

This is understandable as the argument can be made that Frost hasn't coached a game in the conference, so why should be be ranked at all? A valid point, however, I would argue that the addition of Frost to the list isn't about what he has accomplished as a member of the Big Ten, but as a head coach overall.

More specifically, I'll present the case that Frost is, in fact, a better head coach than Ferentz with only two years at the FBS level under his belt. Don't worry, the Iowa head man does actually get some props.

When it comes to development, Iowa is easily one of the best programs in the country, and that's not simply my opinion. Since 2002 (four years/one full eligibility cycle into Ferentz's tenure), the Hawkeyes have averaged a recruiting class ranking of 41st in the nation. These numbers actually dip if you look at the three-, five- and 10-year averages (42nd, 45th, and 44th, respectively).

Despite so-so recruiting on the whole, Iowa has put 46 players into the NFL from 2005-18. Only 18 other schools have done a better job of developing talent for the next level. Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin are the only other Big Ten schools that can make this claim.

However, one would think that with all of this eventual NFL talent, Iowa could accomplish far more than it has since Ferentz took over in 1999. Coming out of the gate, it appeared he was going to get the Hawkeyes back on the national stage more often than not after going 28-7 following an 11-24 showing in his first three years.

That time span included two Big Ten championships and three consecutive finishes as the No. 8 team in the country. After that, we began to see what we're now all too familiar with when it comes to modern-day Iowa football. Since 2002, he's averaged an 8-4 record and accumulated only two 10-win seasons following the Hawkeyes' last conference title in 2004 (2009 and 2015).

Essentially, he peaked quite some time ago and despite a 1-2 record in New Year's Six Bowls and a 1-5 record in his team's past six postseason bids, Hawkeye fans don't appear to care much.

We turn to Frost. He is a coach that took a demoralized program with an absolutely decimated culture in UCF and led the Knights to an undefeated season -- and arguably a national championship depending on who you talk to -- in a two-year span.

Going beyond that well-discussed talking point and onto one that we just talked about in regards to Iowa, no other Florida school had more players selected in the first two days of the 2018 NFL Draft than the Knights. In fact, UCF had more than Iowa (three to the Hawkeyes' two) and more picks overall (four vs. three). This includes cornerback Mike Hughes who spent all of one year in the program as a junior and thrived. As the 30th overall pick in the draft, he's now focused on challenging for a starting spot in an already loaded Minnesota Vikings secondary.

NFL development and Mike Riley era bragging rights aside, Iowa finds itself facing a new animal. Frost is not only a competitor, but he finds himself with an immense responsibility. He has to bring Nebraska back to national relevance and this is a challenge he's obviously embracing. His colleague across the Missouri River clearly don't have these aspirations (if he does, he's doing a great job of hiding them) and, quite honestly, he doesn't need to.

Ferentz has a contract that expires in 2026 and includes a $500,000 raise to his yearly base salary if Iowa wins eight games. Suddenly, his 8-4 average record sticks out like a sore thumb as the program's measuring stick and again, Iowa fans don't seem to care about that much, if at all. Should the Hawkeyes beat Iowa State and Nebraska in the same season, I dare say that's a quality year right now.

Of course, if Iowa goes on to win the Big Ten championship, that'll be a big thing and Ferentz will be appropriately compensated. However, there's no sense of urgency and seemingly no actual desire to do much beyond be a pain in the butt on behalf of the Big Ten West.

Over in Lincoln, Frost has rapidly flipped a culture that was deflated following the 2017 season and has brought in an impressive number of immediate contributors which helps set up the foundation for a rebuild much in the same style as what happened at UCF.

Of course, he wants to win as many games as he can immediately and it's hard to think that Iowa won't get some extra attention if for no other reason than because of Nebraska's current losing streak to the yellow and black.

Finally, ask yourself this question: If you were an athletic director with a coaching vacancy and you wanted your team to be recognized nationally as quickly as possible and had your choice between hiring Frost or Ferentz, which one would you pick?

That may seem an unfair question based on age alone (Ferentz has 19 years on Frost), but we've seen coaches defy age for the love of the game. Bill Snyder, who is 78, is just one that comes to mind.

Ferentz may have tenure and has churned out NFL prospects left and right, but he's proven that he doesn't currently have the drive to make his program any better than it is. That's not a mentality that can just spring up overnight, either. Frost, on the other hand, started executing a long-term plan for his days in Lincoln from the second his new destination was set in stone.

I can't say I blame Ferentz for his current situation. He's making bank and all he has to do is spin the Iowa football program's tires in the mud. However, it won't take Frost long to expose that effort or lack thereof.

An article by a Nebraska fan. LOL, yep...objective. EVERYTHING he writes about is about Nebraska.

https://athlonsports.com/users/brandon-cavanaugh

From 1977-1987 all of division 1 stopped on a proverbial dime waiting for the finish of the annual NU/OU showdown as 1 or both teams were ranked in the top 3 mostly either Nebraska or Oklahoma were ranked #1 going into that game. In 1987 NU was ranked #1 and OU was #2 going into the annual slug fest and OU won that game and won the NC that year. Tom Osborne vs Barry Switzer. Nebraska played for the NC 4 times in the 80s. The 83 Offense is still considered the greatest in Div 1/FBS history as it still owns a number of NCAA Records. That was the team that pasted a Lou Holtz led Minnesota squad 84-13 as well that team is the only team in history to produce the top 3 NFL draft picks. Rozier was the 1st pick, but opted to play for the newly formed USFL leaving Irving Fryar (WR) as the 1st overall draft pick followed by Dean Steinkuhler (RG) as the 2nd overall pick in the 84 draft. Get your history straight. from the late 70s to early 2000s The Big 10 conference was a nationally known joke and most times was called The Weak 10 because the conference as a whole sucked. Nebraska to this day in the modern era from 1962-Present is still the winningest team in Div 1/FBS even with our down years and that is a fact and even the Ohio St isn't anywhere close to catching us as we still have a pretty wide gap between us and number 2 and OSU isn't the #2, but not as wide as it used to be with all of our down years.
The modern era of college football did not start in 1962, 1992 is more like it.

Leave it to you Iowegians to come up with only the last 10-12 years count as that is as close to relevance as you have ever gotten or ever will. Only 10 years ago did The Big 10 as a whole start becoming relevant again after 40+ years of obscurity and it's only backside was you! I know what it is, you Chokeyes have a very severe case of false entitlement meaning you think everything is handed to you on a silver platter without ever having to earn or work for anything as you are the mirror image of this worthless brat generation coupled with an extremeley hilarious case of little man syndrome over the fact that shit show you call a Football program has never been nor ever will be relevant and are obsessively jealous of our tradition and history, something that you will never get to experience yourselves as your program will never be good enough to build any type of history or tradition! Difference is on top of all of this, we can and eventually will become relevent again, you pretty much never in a million years. As I state again, never have you been relevent nor will you ever be as your program will never be good enough to atain any type of respectable traditon or history and deep down to the core of your souls you know it. Truth hurts don't it. One last thing, what truly amazes me is the fact that everytime you have any substance whatsoever to any of your athletics not named your legendary wrestling program that I truly give mad props to or the other sport that not one person ever gives two shits about the most awesomnest sport Field Hockey. Hell maybe you should take up tiddlywinks, but on second thought maybe not such a good idea as you'll find a way to screw that one up as well! LMFAO!! Whether it's men's or women's you always find a way to screw everything up thus the never-ending moniker Chokeyes. Always have been and always will be. I'm laughing my ass off as here real soon, Nebraska once again will be using your football team to wipe it's ass as it always has. Question of the day, how does it feel knowing your program is no better than shit paper? So what if you've beaten us the last 3 years, big fricken deal. LOL! The real standing joke is that you have only beaten us 5 times since Truman was President. Iowa, such a dominant program! See ya in the funny paper's little sisters! LMFAO!!
I didn’t have time to read all of this. Mostly I just didn’t care. But I’ll bet my house it was stupid even by Nebber standards!

Leave it to you Iowegians to come up with only the last 10-12 years count as that is as close to relevance as you have ever gotten or ever will. Only 10 years ago did The Big 10 as a whole start becoming relevant again after 40+ years of obscurity and it's only backside was you! I know what it is, you Chokeyes have a very severe case of false entitlement meaning you think everything is handed to you on a silver platter without ever having to earn or work for anything as you are the mirror image of this worthless brat generation coupled with an extremeley hilarious case of little man syndrome over the fact that shit show you call a Football program has never been nor ever will be relevant and are obsessively jealous of our tradition and history, something that you will never get to experience yourselves as your program will never be good enough to build any type of history or tradition! Difference is on top of all of this, we can and eventually will become relevent again, you pretty much never in a million years. As I state again, never have you been relevent nor will you ever be as your program will never be good enough to atain any type of respectable traditon or history and deep down to the core of your souls you know it. Truth hurts don't it. One last thing, what truly amazes me is the fact that everytime you have any substance whatsoever to any of your athletics not named your legendary wrestling program that I truly give mad props to or the other sport that not one person ever gives two shits about the most awesomnest sport Field Hockey. Hell maybe you should take up tiddlywinks, but on second thought maybe not such a good idea as you'll find a way to screw that one up as well! LMFAO!! Whether it's men's or women's you always find a way to screw everything up thus the never-ending moniker Chokeyes. Always have been and always will be. I'm laughing my ass off as here real soon, Nebraska once again will be using your football team to wipe it's ass as it always has. Question of the day, how does it feel knowing your program is no better than shit paper? So what if you've beaten us the last 3 years, big fricken deal. LOL! The real standing joke is that you have only beaten us 5 times since Truman was President. Iowa, such a dominant program! See ya in the funny paper's little sisters! LMFAO!!
Are you talking about your girls bowling team or what? I came in the room and missed most of your dribbling...certainly cant be comparing your chitty football team to ours...

Why cant you idiots own the last 3 years like you do the 90s? Its reality..

Breaking Down Nebraska's Scott Frost vs. Iowa's Kirk Ferentz
by Brandon Cavanaugh, Athlon Sports

Athlon Sports recently unveiled its Big Ten coach rankings for the 2018 college football season. Nebraska's Scott Frost, the newest head coach in the conference, came in seventh, one spot ahead of Iowa's Kirk Ferentz, the Big Ten's (and FBS') most senior leader. Not surprisingly, this has a number of people crying foul on both sides and from national perspectives.

This is understandable as the argument can be made that Frost hasn't coached a game in the conference, so why should be be ranked at all? A valid point, however, I would argue that the addition of Frost to the list isn't about what he has accomplished as a member of the Big Ten, but as a head coach overall.

More specifically, I'll present the case that Frost is, in fact, a better head coach than Ferentz with only two years at the FBS level under his belt. Don't worry, the Iowa head man does actually get some props.

When it comes to development, Iowa is easily one of the best programs in the country, and that's not simply my opinion. Since 2002 (four years/one full eligibility cycle into Ferentz's tenure), the Hawkeyes have averaged a recruiting class ranking of 41st in the nation. These numbers actually dip if you look at the three-, five- and 10-year averages (42nd, 45th, and 44th, respectively).

Despite so-so recruiting on the whole, Iowa has put 46 players into the NFL from 2005-18. Only 18 other schools have done a better job of developing talent for the next level. Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin are the only other Big Ten schools that can make this claim.

However, one would think that with all of this eventual NFL talent, Iowa could accomplish far more than it has since Ferentz took over in 1999. Coming out of the gate, it appeared he was going to get the Hawkeyes back on the national stage more often than not after going 28-7 following an 11-24 showing in his first three years.

That time span included two Big Ten championships and three consecutive finishes as the No. 8 team in the country. After that, we began to see what we're now all too familiar with when it comes to modern-day Iowa football. Since 2002, he's averaged an 8-4 record and accumulated only two 10-win seasons following the Hawkeyes' last conference title in 2004 (2009 and 2015).

Essentially, he peaked quite some time ago and despite a 1-2 record in New Year's Six Bowls and a 1-5 record in his team's past six postseason bids, Hawkeye fans don't appear to care much.

We turn to Frost. He is a coach that took a demoralized program with an absolutely decimated culture in UCF and led the Knights to an undefeated season -- and arguably a national championship depending on who you talk to -- in a two-year span.

Going beyond that well-discussed talking point and onto one that we just talked about in regards to Iowa, no other Florida school had more players selected in the first two days of the 2018 NFL Draft than the Knights. In fact, UCF had more than Iowa (three to the Hawkeyes' two) and more picks overall (four vs. three). This includes cornerback Mike Hughes who spent all of one year in the program as a junior and thrived. As the 30th overall pick in the draft, he's now focused on challenging for a starting spot in an already loaded Minnesota Vikings secondary.

NFL development and Mike Riley era bragging rights aside, Iowa finds itself facing a new animal. Frost is not only a competitor, but he finds himself with an immense responsibility. He has to bring Nebraska back to national relevance and this is a challenge he's obviously embracing. His colleague across the Missouri River clearly don't have these aspirations (if he does, he's doing a great job of hiding them) and, quite honestly, he doesn't need to.

Ferentz has a contract that expires in 2026 and includes a $500,000 raise to his yearly base salary if Iowa wins eight games. Suddenly, his 8-4 average record sticks out like a sore thumb as the program's measuring stick and again, Iowa fans don't seem to care about that much, if at all. Should the Hawkeyes beat Iowa State and Nebraska in the same season, I dare say that's a quality year right now.

Of course, if Iowa goes on to win the Big Ten championship, that'll be a big thing and Ferentz will be appropriately compensated. However, there's no sense of urgency and seemingly no actual desire to do much beyond be a pain in the butt on behalf of the Big Ten West.

Over in Lincoln, Frost has rapidly flipped a culture that was deflated following the 2017 season and has brought in an impressive number of immediate contributors which helps set up the foundation for a rebuild much in the same style as what happened at UCF.

Of course, he wants to win as many games as he can immediately and it's hard to think that Iowa won't get some extra attention if for no other reason than because of Nebraska's current losing streak to the yellow and black.

Finally, ask yourself this question: If you were an athletic director with a coaching vacancy and you wanted your team to be recognized nationally as quickly as possible and had your choice between hiring Frost or Ferentz, which one would you pick?

That may seem an unfair question based on age alone (Ferentz has 19 years on Frost), but we've seen coaches defy age for the love of the game. Bill Snyder, who is 78, is just one that comes to mind.

Ferentz may have tenure and has churned out NFL prospects left and right, but he's proven that he doesn't currently have the drive to make his program any better than it is. That's not a mentality that can just spring up overnight, either. Frost, on the other hand, started executing a long-term plan for his days in Lincoln from the second his new destination was set in stone.

I can't say I blame Ferentz for his current situation. He's making bank and all he has to do is spin the Iowa football program's tires in the mud. However, it won't take Frost long to expose that effort or lack thereof.

Just one question. What are Kirk Ferentz's thoughts on closet hiding during adversity?

Lolumadbro?

Wyldtard has been TRIGGERED!!!!

Truth is...Nebby is gonna have the corn knocked outta your poop in November again and that's making your bottom lip quiver.

Reactions: sltldowney
Are you talking about your girls bowling team or what? I came in the room and missed most of your dribbling...certainly cant be comparing your chitty football team to ours...

Why cant you idiots own the last 3 years like you do the 90s? Its reality..
As I said, you beat us the last 3 years, big fricken deal! Good grief, another illiterate Chokeye!. Wow, how can you live with yourself knowing that the intellectually disabled are far more intelligent than you will every be?! Typical Chokeye!

As I said, you beat us the last 3 years, big fricken deal! Good grief, another illiterate Chokeye!. Wow, how can you live with yourself knowing that the intellectually disabled are far more intelligent than you will every be?! Typical Chokeye!
Laughable..... I was saying own the last 3 years..not the last 3 games we waxed your asses. You seem really really defensive about the Hawks running over your bottom feeder B1G team the last 3 years...your shrink is terrible.

Brought to you live from Iowa, the meth capitol of the U.S! Iowa is synonymous with Arkansas, Mississippi, Both Virginia"s Alabama, and Kentucky, ya'll share the same DNA! Hey Blackleaf what you doin tonight? Blackleaf response, I'ma gonna go visit my uncle-cousin, cuz that's what we do in the backwards ass country fk state of Iowa! Good day DB! LMFAO!!
You're a real bute... you make all debby fans proud.

You would be singing a different song if NU/UN would've won the last three years. You can't have it both ways.

BTW, please tell us a team that NU/UN has beaten three years in a row and please don't go back to the 90's. On second thought, go away your jibberish is very tiresome.

First off ironic you are calling people illiterate when you still don't know how to use paragraphs or the fact you use LOL and LMFAO more than a junior high girl. Secondly I'm going out on a limb and say you weren't a history or math major. You do realize Truman was President in 46' when Iowa won. So that makes 6 times Iowa has won not 5, but nice try junior. You act like the 2 programs have played so frequently with your historical reference when in fact it has been only 14 times in last 71 years. 7 of which are in the last 7 years when you joined the Big 10 which by they way you have a losing record in the Big 10 to lowly Iowa.

Last edited:

Are you doing any kind of treatment for mental illness? Or have you just gone off your meds?

How long ago are you talking about? I would agree that during the 70's, Oklahoma and Nebraska were probably better than Michigan and Ohio State. There was ebb and flow and there were years it swung back and forth. But things changed. Since 1979, you guys are 16-21 in bowl games. You are 8-13 in what today would be called "New Years 6" games. Why does it matter? Because it is a measuring stick of relative strength of conferences. You guys did have one hell of a run from 94-97 when you were successfully recruiting the prisons for talent. But outside of that 4-year run, you guys have had as much impact on the college football landscape as Iowa has.
I won't attempt to compare Iowa's football history to Nebraska's. You guys win. But there are less and less people every year who care what happened 40 years ago. The wishbone has been gone for decades. The triple option exists at the service academies and Georgia Tech. Iowa throttled that the last time we faced it.
But please do continue living in the glow of yesteryear.

stopped reading here when you proved you are an idiot : you guys have had as much impact on the college football landscape as Iowa has.

Nice revisionist history. Whatever you want to believe. Can't fix stupid.

Jesus, is this guy Herby's alter ego Nebraska fan personality?

For all the butthurt Fuskers cultists, I specifically said since 1979. I conceded that during the 70s and for four years in the 90s, Nebbie was at or near the pinnacle of the sport. Never mind the shady shit you did to get there but you were there-no question.
What have you done that was special in the past 20 years? I will hang up and listen.

Dude, use paragraphs...people stop reading your post after first 2 sentences.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT