ADVERTISEMENT

Next Coach

You suggested KSU to MSU was a lateral move because he turned down the MSU job, did you not?
I do not see MSU as a blue blood program, Michigan is a blue blood program. I think there are degrees of moves made here. I do see KSU to Iowa as more of a lateral move, IMO. Same goes for KSU to MSU, even though both of the aforementioned jobs are likely better. I do not see Iowa to Michigan as a lateral move.

I do not see MSU as a blue blood program, Michigan is a blue blood program. I think there are degrees of moves made here. I do see KSU to Iowa as more of a lateral move, IMO. Same goes for KSU to MSU, even though both of the aforementioned jobs are likely better. I do not see Iowa to Michigan as a lateral move.
The only reason I wouldn't see KSU to MSU or Iowa as a lateral move today is because of the increased disparity in resources and profile between the B1G and Big12. There are only 2 power conferences today.

The only reason I wouldn't see KSU to MSU or Iowa as a lateral move today is because of the increased disparity in resources and profile between the B1G and Big12. There are only 2 power conferences today.
It probably is just an arms race of facilities and NIL money. Someone like T Boone Pickens would have made a massive splash were he still alive.

I just hope they open the search process up and don't focus solely on coaches who have Iowa ties or who bring that same blue-collar, unsexy, awe-shucks midwesterny modest mindset that KF has. There's no reason the Iowa program HAS to be that way just because that's the KF way. Seems like a lot of the names that get thrown around as the next coach, like Klieman, fit very neatly into that profile. We hired a coach 40+ years ago who'd never been to Iowa before and who brought some swagger and attitude and liked scoring points to the Iowa program and that worked out ok. We don't have to be bound to a KF clone.

Last edited:
I just hope they open the search process up and don't focus solely on coaches who have Iowa ties or who bring that same blue-collar, unsexy, awe-shucks midwesterny modest mindset that KF has. There's no reason the Iowa program HAS to be that way just because that's the KF way. Seems like a lot of the names that get thrown around as the next coach, like Klieman, fit very neatly into that profile. We hired a coach 40+ years ago who'd never been to Iowa before and who brought some swagger and attitude and liked scoring points to the Iowa program and that worked out ok. We don't have to be bound to a KF clone.
Agreed. But please dude...don't use that last word.

Reactions: Gonzo Bloor
I just hope they open the search process up and don't focus solely on coaches who have Iowa ties or who bring that same blue-collar, unsexy, awe-shucks midwesterny modest mindset that KF has. There's no reason the Iowa program HAS to be that way just because that's the KF way. Seems like a lot of the names that get thrown around as the next coach, like Klieman, fit very neatly into that profile. We hired a coach 40+ years ago who'd never been to Iowa before and who brought some swagger and attitude and liked scoring points to the Iowa program and that worked out ok. We don't have to be bound to a KF replicant.
FIFY

• Haha
Reactions: BonzoFury
#1 - LeVar Woods will not be the next head coach at Iowa so let’s retire that idea. You don’t go from special teams directly to running the whole show. Now some day he may make a good head coach … but it won’t be after KF.

#2 … have zero clue. Many flash in the pan coaches out there (ie see Mel “Tugger”) … Every school is looking for the next franchise guy. One or two good seasons and ADs line up at the door.

I don’t care if the next coach has ties or not to Iowa. Just want the best candidate.

Beth G (once she formally becomes AD) will live or die by who she hires to replace KF. That may come sooner than later as I think this may be Kirk’s swan song. He looks tired. The BF fiasco will finally come to an end when he is not brought back next year and the conference competition will begin an entire new level next season - and factor in KF despises West Coast games. NIL and the transfer portal are not Kirk’s thing. He wants players he can coach up and develop and that simply won’t be reality moving forward. I don’t think there is a Kirk 4.0…

Nope, they’re not a blue blood. No, Iowa to Michigan is not a lateral. That is in fact essentially for the example I gave.

Everything you just said is either absolutely correct, or you could make an argument for. I might not agree, but you could argue it.

You implied a coach turning down a job means the job they turned down is a lateral move. I suggested it in no way means that. For example; an Iowa coach turning down Michigan proves that, because, as you seem to agree. Michigan is most certainly NOT a lateral move from Iowa.

I think that maybe you are arguing with yourself, in regards to replying to me.

Think she was at UConn at some capacity IIRC… thats why I joked in the thread about the Diaco connection.
Back around 2013-2014, Diaco would have been near the top of my list.

FWIW, his record at UConn wasn’t much worse than KFz’s at Maine.

Nope, they’re not a blue blood. No, Iowa to Michigan is not a lateral. That is in fact essentially for the example I gave.

Everything you just said is either absolutely correct, or you could make an argument for. I might not agree, but you could argue it.

You implied a coach turning down a job means the job they turned down is a lateral move. I suggested it in no way means that. For example; an Iowa coach turning down Michigan proves that, because, as you seem to agree. Michigan is most certainly NOT a lateral move from Iowa.

I think that maybe you are arguing with yourself, in regards to replying to me.
I cannot speak to Kirk actually turning down the Michigan job. You and I have zero evidence that occurred, but the comparison of Iowa to Michigan is apples to oranges, when making the comparison of KSU to Iowa. I really don’t care, I would much rather have Jonathan Smith, he is a proven builder and plays Iowa ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT