ADVERTISEMENT

Sightings and brief encounters with IOWA BB players, coaches, staff members or FANATICS

Dec 29, 2005
Yesterday I was wandering around downtown and an SUV caught my eye. The reason being it was adorned with Kentucky Flags. Before I had a chance to catch up with them at the stoplight at Clinton and Iowa it sped away. I had hoped to engage Joe or CJ or whomever and wish them well and good riddance. I was able to flip them the Hawkeye bird.

For the most part, posts and threads on any message board are boring, not worth reading, let alone engaging and consist of lots of half-truths and rumors, failed critical thought, useless information, tropes, trolls, and petty bickering.

At the same time, I lurk way too much and occasionally join in the fun.

Some of the best posts and threads involve personal stories and connections.

Since back in 2016 when I saw the light and was called back to the Promised Land, here goes a handful of brief encounters with IOWA BB players and coaches.

I ran into Fran within weeks at Cville Brueggers who was buying bagels. I was still really hopeful. I simply said: "Hey Coach, keep up your good work. Go Hawks!" He thanked me, paid for his bagels, and quickly fled.

A few months later I was headed in the Cville library. I love libraries. As I approached the door an elderly gentleman with a full head of gray hair wearing this really funky leather jacket with colors and s$%t hard to describe got to the door ahead of me. Instead of entering the building he held the door for me and beckoned me in. I thanked him and then realized OMG... coach Tom Davis. I was dumbfounded and at a loss for words. Normally I would have engaged him and remind me of that really great 13-year run for IOWA BB but it was the frickin library, a quiet place. I suspect he would have given me some time and answered my questions. My first question would have been: " How you thinking the next level thing has worked for IOWA BB?" btw that leather jacket was NIKE, limited edition.

This was late at night and this incredibly huge human being was coming out of that ridiculous indoor urban renewal mall downtown. This young man had THE LOOK of determination, yupper Tyler Cook. Started his first NBA game and a great pro and person. Ummm... he is somewhat intimidating and yet heard he is a gentle giant unless he happens to have a ball in his hand and destroys the BB RIM anywhere in the world.

Coach Francis at Cville Hyvee. I just said, "Go Hawks, keep up your good work!" He thanked me and went about his business and continued to shop.

I was going into the Fareway on Mormon Trek on a late summer morning, the road to the Promised Land? Low and behold a very large human being along with an incredibly attractive young woman (no pic available) was headed to his car. OMG LUKA GARZA!!!! It was between sophomore and junior season and I knew it was my only chance. I said hello, keep up your good work, GO HAWKS, yadda yadda yadda. I then proceeded to suggest to him to rebound better. I then showed him how to block out, yes I physically demonstrated how I would block him out. Yes, I did! I turned around and looked at him for some positive feedback and was happy to answer his questions. He rolled his eyes and looked away... OMG I AM A FANATIC! Yet he thanked me and we all went about our day. I take full credit for his work ethic, post moves, shooting touch, scoring, and PLAYER of the YEAR awards. Rebounding, not so much.

Here is the encounter that could have been borderline... I had just entered the Target Store at Coral Ridge Mall. You all know, the monstrosity built just over 20 years ago that contributes to our excessive consumer culture and Climate Change and did their best to kill every small business and downtown within miles. So I hear her voice, OMG It's her? With her daughter? I would recognize her voice anywhere and even in my sleep. She was arguing with her daughter and just ahead of me so I sped up to say hello. I thanked Charity for her good work, especially her daily 10 AM IPR program and Iowa PBS TV work. She replies: "You are welcome" We departed, went about our business, and continued to shop.

On the way out to check out. OMG! Charity! again and my last chance. I sped ahead and got out in front of Charity and her daughter. I then proceeded to stay in front and walk backward as we neared checkout. btw this is an excellent tactic to engage someone when you need to talk to forgo war and work for peace.. ( Native American warriors back in the day began this tradition) I then popped the question: "CHARITY, will you marry me?" None plussed, her daughter's mouth agape,
Charity thanked me and kindly and gently let me know... " I am already happy" We checked out, waved goodbye, and went about our day

Cmon I dare you. Tell us a story of a sighting or a brief encounter.

GO IPR, NPR, IOWA PBS, and most of all...

GO HAWKS!!!!

I then proceeded to suggest to him to rebound better. I then showed him how to block out, yes I physically demonstrated how I would block him out. Yes, I did! I turned around and looked at him for some positive feedback and was happy to answer his questions. He rolled his eyes and looked away... OMG I AM A FANATIC! Yet he thanked me and we all went about our day.
Please, please tell me this didn't really happen.

Please.

I have had encounters with several Iowa athletics celebrities.

1. I played pick-up ball with BJ in the summer of 86 before his phenom sophomore year. I actually guarded him, but he really made little attempt to score on me. I'm sure he could have scored at will. But, he was fierce on defense, which is what I think he was there to work on. I made no suggestions to him about his game, or any other comments I wouldn't have made to any other random field house kid I played against.

2. Chuck Long sat next to me in a large packed Western Civ lecture hall one time in the Fall of 85. Iowa was #1 at the time. He did ask me what time it was. I showed him my watch.

3. The Harmon brothers showed up to the first class for a Sociology lecture. Never saw them again in that class. I'm sure they passed with a better grade than me.

4. One time, I kept a door open for Hayden Fry who followed me out of some Ped Mall business. I did not ask him any questions, or make any suggestions about his coaching.

5. My apartment roommate dated a WBB player in 86, and in my opinion, they spent too much time in the bedroom, so one afternoon when they thought no one was in the apartment, I blasted the mildly obscene middle part of Led Zep's "The Lemon Song" to let them know I was home. She left a few minutes later.

6. I actually had a normal conversation with Jess Settles just a few years ago. I was helping coach my daughter's basketball team at a Drake camp. She played against a Mt. Pleasant team coached by Mrs. Settles, with Jess assisting. After the game, he actually praised my daughter's play, and I took the time to tell him I had watched him play in Junior High and High School, because I used to teach and work games in Danville, near Winfield.

In short, I have always tried to treat Iowa athletes/coaches as normal people. No autographs, gawking, commentary, or special treatment. No fish bowl from me. But, I do remember those times much more than most strangers I encountered.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was wandering around downtown and an SUV caught my eye. The reason being it was adorned with Kentucky Flags. Before I had a chance to catch up with them at the stoplight at Clinton and Iowa it sped away. I had hoped to engage Joe or CJ or whomever and wish them well and good riddance. I was able to flip them the Hawkeye bird.

For the most part, posts and threads on any message board are boring, not worth reading, let alone engaging and consist of lots of half-truths and rumors, failed critical thought, useless information, tropes, trolls, and petty bickering.

Since back in 2016 when I saw the light and was called back to the Promised Land, here goes a handful of brief encounters with IOWA BB players and coaches.

I ran into Fran within weeks at Cville Brueggers who was buying bagels. I was still really hopeful. I simply said: "Hey Coach, keep up your good work. Go Hawks!" He thanked me, paid for his bagels, and quickly fled.

A few months later I was headed in the Cville library. I love libraries. As I approached the door an elderly gentleman with a full head of gray hair wearing this really funky leather jacket with colors and s$%t hard to describe got to the door ahead of me. Instead of entering the building he held the door for me and beckoned me in. I thanked him and then realized OMG... coach Tom Davis. I was dumbfounded and at a loss for words. Normally I would have engaged him and remind me of that really great 13-year run for IOWA BB but it was the frickin library, a quiet place. I suspect he would have given me some time and answered my questions. My first question would have been: " How you thinking the next level thing has worked for IOWA BB?" btw that leather jacket was NIKE, limited edition.

This was late at night and this incredibly huge human being was coming out of that ridiculous indoor urban renewal mall downtown. This young man had THE LOOK of determination, yupper Tyler Cook. Started his first NBA game and a great pro and person. Ummm... he is somewhat intimidating and yet heard he is a gentle giant unless he happens to have a ball in his hand and destroys the BB RIM anywhere in the world.

Coach Francis at Cville Hyvee. I just said, "Go Hawks, keep up your good work!" He thanked me and went about his business and continued to shop.

I was going into the Fareway on Mormon Trek on a late summer morning, the road to the Promised Land? Low and behold a very large human being along with an incredibly attractive young woman (no pic available) was headed to his car. OMG LUKA GARZA!!!! It was between sophomore and junior season and I knew it was my only chance. I said hello, keep up your good work, GO HAWKS, yadda yadda yadda. I then proceeded to suggest to him to rebound better. I then showed him how to block out, yes I physically demonstrated how I would block him out. Yes, I did! I turned around and looked at him for some positive feedback and was happy to answer his questions. He rolled his eyes and looked away... OMG I AM A FANATIC! Yet he thanked me and we all went about our day. I take full credit for his work ethic, post moves, shooting touch, scoring, and PLAYER of the YEAR awards. Rebounding, not so much.

Here is the encounter that could have been borderline... I had just entered the Target Store at Coral Ridge Mall. You all know, the monstrosity built just over 20 years ago that contributes to our excessive consumer culture and Climate Change and did their best to kill every small business and downtown within miles. So I hear her voice, OMG It's her? With her daughter? I would recognize her voice anywhere and even in my sleep. She was arguing with her daughter and just ahead of me so I sped up to say hello. I thanked Charity for her good work, especially her daily 10 AM IPR program and Iowa PBS TV work. She replies: "You are welcome" We departed, went about our business, and continued to shop.

On the way out to check out. OMG! Charity! again and my last chance. I sped ahead and got out in front of Charity and her daughter. I then proceeded to stay in front and walk backward as we neared checkout. btw this is an excellent tactic to engage someone when you need to talk to forgo war and work for peace.. ( Native American warriors back in the day began this tradition) I then popped the question: "CHARITY, will you marry me?" None plussed, her daughter's mouth agape,
Charity thanked me and kindly and gently let me know... " I am already happy" We checked out, waved goodbye, and went about our day

GO HAWKS!!!!
You're a creep.

OMG LUKA GARZA!!!! It was between sophomore and junior season and I knew it was my only chance. I said hello, keep up your good work, GO HAWKS, yadda yadda yadda. I then proceeded to suggest to him to rebound better. I then showed him how to block out, yes I physically demonstrated how I would block him out. Yes, I did! I turned around and looked at him for some positive feedback and was happy to answer his questions. He rolled his eyes and looked away... OMG I AM A FANATIC!

If this actually happened, you need professional help.

There was an infamous basketball player for Iowa in the early '90s notorious for checking out other players' junk, especially on the bench. I ran into this player at the mall one time and pointedly asked him what was so fascinating about @Rudolph's crotch that he couldn't remove his eyes from it. His response was he had no idea anything attached to a grown man's body could be that small.

Also, I met Bobby Hansen at the Iowa State Fair when I was a kid (sometime in the '90s). He went to high school with my uncle at Dowling, so I went up to him and introduced myself. He was polite but seemed a little off. The next day he made the news for a public intox, IIRC.

I've passed several former players and nodded politely. No words were ever exchanged. If I ever run into Connor McCaffery, though, I'm going to ask him for a highlight video of his post feeds for Rudolph and I to fap to.

The End.

I am not a basketball or football expert and try to qualify my opinions that way.....so, I am not an expert in message board threads or the thought process of posters to say what they say...but in my layman's opinion...this thread has been derailed.

Andre Woolridge, JR Koch, Kent Hill, Tom Davis, Coach Dillard, Kirk Ferentz, Reece Morgan, Brian Ferentz, Kenyon Murray, Ryan Luehrsmann, Al Lorenzen, Lon Olejniczak, Matt Roth and Tyler Sash.

Met Grant Hill's dad before Grant's wedding in Battle Creek, Michigan. Was able to talk with him for about an hour at breakfast the day of the wedding in the hotel. Great guy. Saw a lot of NBA players there.

I had beers with Snedecker and Gerry Wright at the Sports Column back when they had the basketball shot game. We shot for beers. Gerry had such long arms he could practically dunk it. He got several rounds on us that night.

I hit a hook shot over Clay Hargrave once

I played against Hargrave in a summer basketball league at Cedar Rapids Prairie while we were both in HS. I actually guarded (well if you could call it that anyway) for much of the game.

Opportunities to play summer ball in HS in Eastern Iowa was much different back then. He made the trip weekly from IC to SW CR.

I know someone who dunked over Curtis Cupthert in the Field House when it was in Rec Services. Cupthert was probably stoned but just jumping over someone that large has to be an accomplishment ;)

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Brief encounter with Sherman Dillard at Riverside with a blonde that looked she was twenty something.

I ran into Hayden Fry at the Coralville Hy-Vee Chinese take-out section.

We, briefly, small talked...then I told him I had several suggestions he and Bill Snyder had overlooked.

Wouldn't you know, they incorporated several of my ideas into the game plan and the Hawks went to the Rose Bowl.

I have had encounters with several Iowa athletics celebrities.

1. I played pick-up ball with BJ in the summer of 86 before his phenom sophomore year. I actually guarded him, but he really made little attempt to score on me. I'm sure he could have scored at will. But, he was fierce on defense, which is what I think he was there to work on. I made no suggestions to him about his game, or any other comments I wouldn't have made to any other random field house kid I played against.

2. Chuck Long sat next to me in a large packed Western Civ lecture hall one time in the Fall of 85. Iowa was #1 at the time. He did ask me what time it was. I showed him my watch.

3. The Harmon brothers showed up to the first class for a Sociology lecture. Never saw them again in that class. I'm sure they passed with a better grade than me.

4. One time, I kept a door open for Hayden Fry who followed me out of some Ped Mall business. I did not ask him any questions, or make any suggestions about his coaching.

5. My apartment roommate dated a WBB player in 86, and in my opinion, they spent too much time in the bedroom, so one afternoon when they thought no one was in the apartment, I blasted the mildly obscene middle part of Led Zep's "The Lemon Song" to let them know I was home. She left a few minutes later.

6. I actually had a normal conversation with Jess Settles just a few years ago. I was helping coach my daughter's basketball team at a Drake camp. She played against a Mt. Pleasant team coached by Mrs. Settles, with Jess assisting. After the game, he actually praised my daughter's play, and I took the time to tell him I had watched him play in Junior High and High School, because I used to teach and work games in Danville, near Winfield.

In short, I have always tried to treat Iowa athletes/coaches as normal people. No autographs, gawking, commentary, or special treatment. No fish bowl from me. But, I do remember those times much more than most strangers I encountered.

LED-ZEPPELIN-Brown-Squeeze-My-Lemon-Design-T-Shirt-1.jpg

Went to the Iowa-Purdue football game in 1979. It was Hayden's first year. On the wway to the stadium we walked right by Lute Olsen. He was looking straight ahead and had a look on his face like don't speak to me. I didn't.

GO HAWKS!!!!
Serious question. What’s up with the disgusting mouth noises that all IPR and NPR hosts inflict on the audience?

‘Thanks for interviewing with us. You check all the victim boxes, but we’re afraid your mouth doesn’t quite sound like a hypersensitive microphone on a spoon, slowly stirring wet macaroni. Sorry.’

GO HAWKS!!!!
giphy.gif

There was an infamous basketball player for Iowa in the early '90s notorious for checking out other players' junk, especially on the bench. I ran into this player at the mall one time and pointedly asked him what was so fascinating about @Rudolph's crotch that he couldn't remove his eyes from it. His response was he had no idea anything attached to a grown man's body could be that small.

Also, I met Bobby Hansen at the Iowa State Fair when I was a kid (sometime in the '90s). He went to high school with my uncle at Dowling, so I went up to him and introduced myself. He was polite but seemed a little off. The next day he made the news for a public intox, IIRC.

I've passed several former players and nodded politely. No words were ever exchanged. If I ever run into Connor McCaffery, though, I'm going to ask him for a highlight video of his post feeds for Rudolph and I to fap to.

The End.
I once interviewed Bobby Hansen for a coaching job.

Reactions: amahawk and GOHOX69
I played against Hargrave in a summer basketball league at Cedar Rapids Prairie while we were both in HS. I actually guarded (well if you could call it that anyway) for much of the game.

Opportunities to play summer ball in HS in Eastern Iowa was much different back then. He made the trip weekly from IC to SW CR.

In high school would stay up late on Wednesdays and travel from North Liberty to Kirkwood to play pickup ball from midnight to 2 AM. Not sure parents would allow that these days.

Reactions: skydog0784
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT