ADVERTISEMENT

Signs you are getting older

I feel old driving past the local high schools.

main-qimg-c5c8728a9fcfa709de8e06cc7b316b66

Last night 81 year old Nancy Pelosi was getting
undressed and ready for bed. A peeping Tom
looked in her bedroom window. He took one
short glimpse and pulled down the blinds.

Please tell me you were wearing something like these when you were cutting down those trees.

72cd56b318b34ffc99152513ed9f6002.jpg

Nope.

Like I say, this entire process, all 18 or so months of it...every "dangerous" cut I made was made methodically. I'm too damn old to make a stupid mistake. Many of the cuts I made I'd study all angles, some for 15 or so minutes just to make ONE cut - just making sure they didn't come back at me, miss my shed/cabin/house, wouldn't "barber chair" on me, etc. I learned how to notch and back cut, how to plunge cut, how to use a wedge, how not to jam up the bar/chain, how to undercut, about compression and tension...

Lots of "if I make the cut THERE, what happens" type studying.

Only real problem this summer was the terrain - I had almost a full year with a chain saw in my hand by then. The tree closest to my cabin, I studied Youtube videos galore from professionals about how to directionally cut a leaning tree. Ironically, it still fell towards the cabin somewhat (vines didn't allow it to shift quite the way I wanted), but I got just enough movement to where not one branch hit it (but it came REALLY close).

Thankfully, the hard trees are done, the biggest trees are done. My home and cabin are now free and clear of future messes. Still got more work to do, but for 2021, I'm done (I think anyway).

Reactions: Twoooooooo
I just booked rooms for the college graduation ceremony of my oldest kid.

Reactions: GOHOX69

Have to admit that this one hurt a little bit,.. Not the New Balance thing because I don't really care for them,.. but the fact that this guy's new kicks look exactly like his old kicks hit really close to home,.. Dammit!

Signs of getting older: I have worn the same type & wash of jeans for years and years......and when I buy more, I buy multiples (of the same).

Reactions: beanerhawk
Have to admit that this one hurt a little bit,.. Not the New Balance thing because I don't really care for them,.. but the fact that this guy's new kicks look exactly like his old kicks hit really close to home,.. Dammit!
A co-worker of mine that recently retires at 72 years old buy's 3 pairs of shoes at a time. Every pair the exact same ones that he likes just incase they quit making them. He's a funny dude.

Not being asked for my ID when I’m buying booze for the last like 6 years.

Also having favorite grocery stores for specific things. I usually go to the Collins Road Hy Vee because it’s on my way home from work. But I go to the Oakland Road one when I need beer...or cheese.
You know your getting old when you read through this thread and know the Collins road hyvee has been gone for a long while now

A co-worker of mine that recently retires at 72 years old buy's 3 pairs of shoes at a time. Every pair the exact same ones that he likes just incase they quit making them. He's a funny dude.
What in the hell brand/kind of shoes does he buy? I feel like I'm missing out.

The latest one for me is sleep times. I am up at 6 AM now about no matter what. I was a night owl for many years. Now I am 11 PM-6AM sleep like clockwork.

Reactions: HawkRugged17

Damn,.. that's almost like a public admission of senility.

Reactions: beanerhawk
I’ve started getting frustrated when young people don’t know music from 20-30 years ago.

I would add starting to get AARP membership letters, and not rashly throwing them away without first wondering if I am already eligible at 48...

My wife (no pic) turned 50 in December of 2021. I signed her up for AARP without her knowledge. She was not happy. It was a lot of fun for me, though. It brought back memories of college.....signing up friends and roommates for Columbia House and seeing the look on their face(s) when the Ace of Base CD showed up at their doorstep.

It brought back memories of college.....signing up friends and roommates for Columbia House and seeing the look on their face(s) when the Ace of Base CD showed up at their doorstep.
A guy who used to work for the same company as me was very straight-laced and annoyingly snobbish about it. He clearly looked down on the rest of us heathens.

So one day one of our salesmen signed him up for the mailing list at Big Al’s in Peoria. Neither he nor his wife were amused.

My wife (no pic) turned 50 in December of 2021. I signed her up for AARP without her knowledge. She was not happy. It was a lot of fun for me, though. It brought back memories of college.....signing up friends and roommates for Columbia House and seeing the look on their face(s) when the Ace of Base CD showed up at their doorstep.
Not gonna lie- I see the cover of the AARP mag and 75% of the topics are pertinent and interesting to me. 😳

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT