ADVERTISEMENT

Simone Biles

This is a straight flip, according to Joe, everybody

tumblr_db5c7086d3d715597afa3f52669b02cf_aa4c84df_540.gif
Or perhaps...she has more than one dismount in her arsenal. You know, as the greatest gymnast to have ever lived might...

Or perhaps...she has more than one dismount in her arsenal. You know, as the greatest gymnast to have ever lived might...
I was waiting for that answer.

Yeah cause the best gymnist is gonna up there and do a blant front flip. Sure to medal.

Stop making excuses, or trying to justify it. The beam is just like any other element of women's gymnastics. This is a terrible decision and just makes everything me and others posted earlier true. The going got tough and she bailed. If Lebron did that, he'd be roasted two ways till Sunday and First Take would talk about it for 6 months.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk

Yeah cause the best gymnist is gonna up there and do a blant front flip. Sure to medal.

Stop making excuses, or trying to justify it. The beam is just like any other element of women's gymnastics. This is a terrible decision and just makes everything me and others posted earlier true. The going got tough and she bailed. If Lebron did that, he'd be roasted two ways till Sunday and First Take would talk about it for 6 months.
She bailed?

Weird, I saw her cheering on her teammates in the stands and if I'm not mistaken, I believe she will be competing on beam?

She bailed?

Weird, I saw her cheering on her teammates in the stands and if I'm not mistaken, I believe she will be competing on beam?
A) you know what i mean when i said she bailed. Don't try to pretend you didn't, Torbee you're better than that.

b) if you read the post you would have noted that competiting on the beam just makes the problem worse. She competes in various events for years. Then in olympic qualifying, on the beam, does poorly, withdraws citing mental health, then cites the Twisties which are like a vertigo from everything I can tell. Then six days later is healthy enough to go back to competing on the same beam?

• Haha

Oh, you were waiting for it? Well that settles it!
You and the others are morons. She is the greatest gymnast ever. Ever. By a wide margin. Why you all are so eager to hate on her is something you all need to reflect on. She's already won a crap ton of olympic medals, she's won every competition the sport has (multiple times) "when the going got rough", she's won with broken bones, with kidney stones. She has nothing left to prove. Yet you geniuses think you can tell that she's "faking" because she's suddenly scared? Just because you idiots never heard of her until this olympics? JFC.
She likely had a dozen different dismounts that she's used over her career to choose from. If she decides that she's going to give it a go then the response should be "good for her, hope she does well."

A) you know what i mean when i said she bailed. Don't try to pretend you didn't, Torbee you're better than that.

b) if you read the post you would have noted that competiting on the beam just makes the problem worse. She competes in various events for years. Then in olympic qualifying, on the beam, does poorly, withdraws citing mental health, then cites the Twisties which are like a vertigo from everything I can tell. Then six days later is healthy enough to go back to competing on the same beam?
I guess it depends on if you think she's a liar. I don't.

I have a good friend that suffers vertigo attacks. He is often terrible one day and perfectly fine the next.

Why do you think she's lying? You think she trained and competed all these years and didn't WANT to compete? That seems highly illogical to me.

Oh, you were waiting for it? Well that settles it!
You and the others are morons. She is the greatest gymnast ever. Ever. By a wide margin. Why you all are so eager to hate on her is something you all need to reflect on. She's already won a crap ton of olympic medals, she's won every competition the sport has (multiple times) "when the going got rough", she's won with broken bones, with kidney stones. She has nothing left to prove. Yet you geniuses think you can tell that she's "faking" because she's suddenly scared? Just because you idiots never heard of her until this olympics? JFC.
She likely had a dozen different dismounts that she's used over her career to choose from. If she decides that she's going to give it a go then the response should be "good for her, hope she does well."
She might be the greatest, she still quit when things got tough. Noting in her past changes what just happened. It got tough and she just up and left. If she was hurt or the Twisities was that big of a problem, she is really back six days later?

Having "noting left to prove" means noting. As I said if Lebron said nah I can't play in game 7, he'd be eviscerated. Nobody would say oh well he's one MVP a crap ton and won at every competition in the sport so its OK. That's such a lame argument.

And yes I knew who she was before all of this. I'm not a moron. I don't think she's faking it, I think it got tough and she took her ball and went home.

And she might have a dozen dismounts. Here's hoping she doesn't spin on the Y axis at all because if it does it blows up joes point that you only do front flips on the beam and that is why she can compete in this event and not others.

Reactions: Car-go
She might be the greatest, she still quit when things got tough. Noting in her past changes what just happened. It got tough and she just up and left.

And yes I knew who she was before all of this. I don't think she's faking it, I think it got tough and she took her ball and went home.

And she might have a dozen dismounts. Here's hoping she doesn't spin on the Y axis at all because if it does it blows up joes point that you only do front flips on the beam and that is why she can compete in this event and nt others.
This is so stupid. She didn't leave, in fact you're upset that she's not quitting her last event.

You can hope for whatever you want. I hope that she performs her routine safely and well. It won't save her from criticism from people like you, but nothing will really. Had she "toughed it out" and paralyzed herself it's people like you that would be here making jokes the next day.

I guess it depends on if you think she's a liar. I don't.

I have a good friend that suffers vertigo attacks. He is often terrible one day and perfectly fine the next.

Why do you think she's lying? You think she trained and competed all these years and didn't WANT to compete? That seems highly illogical to me.
I said it earlier in the thread and the post to you.

Something just doesn't pass the smell test for me.

She competes for years, years, and years and years, and never has the problem.
Competes in the months leading up
Competes some more.
Goes to Japan.
In qualifying has a bad beam
Decides to sit out for mental health reasons
Then its not so much mental health as an actual physical/psycholgoical condition.
Then just days later is back.

I think she cracked under all the pressure and many applauded her for taking her ball and going home. Meanwhile Ben Simmons doesn't get the same treatment. Same for Rick Ankiel.

As I said her coming back just makes it worse in my eyes. If she would have left before the olympics, OK. If she would left and stayed away, I don't agree, but hey she's done, whatever. But, now it seems like she is picking and choosing based on the mood of the day. That's not fair to the sport or the other competitors.

Competes in teh months leading up
Competes some more.
Goes to Japan.
Then its not so much mental health as an actual physical/psycholgoical condition.

I think she cracked under all the pressure and many applauded her for taking her ball and going home. Meanwhile Ben Simmons doesn't get the same treatment. Same for Rick Ankiel.

As I said her coming back just makes it worse in my eyes. If she would have left before the olympics, OK. If she would left and stayed away, I don't agree, but now it seems like she is picking and choosing based on the mood of the day. That's not fair to the sport or the other competitors.
Maybe she did crack under all the pressure. And that can be very dangerous in a sport like gymnastics.

My question is what makes you think anyone gives a shit what your opinion of how a world-class athlete should manage their career is? It just makes you sound like an asshole.

Competes in the months leading up
Competes some more.
Goes to Japan.

As I said her coming back just makes it worse in my eyes. If she would have left before the olympics, OK. If she would left and stayed away, I don't agree, but hey she's done, whatever. But, now it seems like she is picking and choosing based on the mood of the day. That's not fair to the sport or the other competitors.
lol, well I didn't realize it didn't pass your "smell test" - that changes everything.

Can you tell me which competitor it's unfair to? Name a name.

Maybe she did crack under all the pressure. And that can be very dangerous in a sport like gymnastics.

My question is what makes you think anyone gives a shit what your opinion of how a world-class athlete should manage their career is? It just makes you sound like an asshole.
Same reason you host a Tuesdays with Torbees podcast to say how Iowa football is doing.

't pass your "smell test" - that changes everything.

Can you tell me which competitor it's unfair to? Name
All the other ones on her team and in the sport. The olympics are supposed to be the best of the best no? Not the best of the ones who feel like competiting.

Could you imagine if Bobby Bowden just said in an 10-0 season I don't feel like coaching today and sat out? You're head would have exploded.

All the other ones on her team and in the sport. The olympics are supposed to be the best of the best no? Not the best of the ones who feel like competiting.
And when she couldn't compete, the alternates jumped in and kicked ass.

How is this different from a bench player on the basketball team coming in when the star player sprains an ankle?

Well I wasn't aware you've been an obsessive female gymnastics fan who annually contributes money and has bought season tickets to matches for decades.

I stand corrected.
Ah so you have to contribute money to be a fan of sports?

And when she couldn't compete, the alternates jumped in and kicked ass.

How is this different from a bench player on the basketball team coming in when the star player sprains an ankle?
The problem is she claimed it was going on for a while.

So to use your comparison it would be a basketball player getting hurt and then trying to tough it out for a bit and seeemingly doing fine. But, then in game 2 of the first playoff series when down 20 being all I can't go. Everybody would be all why didn't you sit out the last two weeks then?

Could you imagine if Bobby Bowden just said in an 10-0 season I don't feel like coaching today and sat out? You're head would have exploded.
I remember when Iowa's awesome defensive coordinator had to miss a few games with complications from diabetes. My head didn't explode. I was happy he was taking care of his health.

I know I'm not going to convience you guys, and you're certaintly not going to convince me. I just don't get why so many are ready to give her an auto pass and clap and say out courageous she is. When ifyou take a step back there are things that make you go "wait, what" that doesn't make sense or doesn't seem right.

I remember when Iowa's awesome defensive coordinator had to miss a few games with complications from diabetes. My head didn't explode. I was happy he was taking care of his health.
Yep cause having a foot removed is the same as taking a break for "mental health reasons" or cause you "mind and body aren't in sync."

I can already see your post if Garza came out before Oregon and was like "you know my chi feels off, can't go today."

Reactions: Car-go
The problem is she claimed it was going on for a while.

So to use your comparison it would be a basketball player getting hurt and then trying to tough it out for a bit and seeemingly doing fine. But, then in game 2 of the first playoff series when down 20 being all I can't go. Everybody would be all why didn't you sit out the last two weeks then?
That happens ALL THE TIME. We had several Iowa basketball players try to "gut out" injuries at times over the past few seasons, even a few times when sitting out might have been better for the team.

Are you sure you regularly watch sports?

OK I’m going to jump in here. I have a background in gymnastics and diving and will tell you guys that you do not know what you are talking about. Yes, the twisties are a real thing and was likely brought on by the pressure. She absolutely is doing the right thing by not competing because when a gymnast/diver has this happen, they are completely lost in the air and it could result in a very serious accident. It usually will freak them out and create a mental block, and you have to relearn the skill(s) from scratch. That is why she is taking it day by day because she has been working in the gym to try to relearn her skills, but she is up against time and really only has one day left. My guess is that we will see her do a watered-down dismount in beam that does not involve twisting and maybe only one salto. I have known people who have had it happen and who have crashed pretty bad, and have never been able to get that skill back again. I’ve known some in diving, who have had it happen on one particular type of dive and who could go on a to dive an Olympic list on all the other dives, but could only do a basic dive on the one they got lost on because of it. She did not quit, it is the right thing to do.

Yep cause having a foot removed is the same as taking a break for "mental health reasons."
So at the end of the day, you are one of those people who don't think mental health is as critical to high performing sports as physical.

I think you are 100 percent wrong, but you are certainly entitled to the opinion.

You probably should have led with that rather than impugning the character of one of America's best-ever Olympians.

That happens ALL THE TIME. We had several Iowa basketball players try to "gut out" injuries at times over the past few seasons, even a few times when sitting out might have been better for the team.

Are you sure you regularly watch sports?

There is a difference between gutting something out and gutting something out for years then in the biggest moment to be like I can't.

Ever hear of Willis Reed that is gutting it out.

I can't think of one athlete that played half a year with a major injury then shut it down in the middle of the biggest moment. Can you?

So at the end of the day, you are one of those people who don't think mental health is as critical to high performing sports as physical.

I think you are 100 percent wrong, but you are certainly entitled to the opinion.

You probably should have led with that rather than impugning the character of one of America's best-ever Olympians.

Nope. As I said earlier, I believe in mental health. But, there is also like no reported cases of mental issues just showing up randomly in one's life.

So it just happens to show up in the biggest moment after her first stumble in god knows how many years. Then all it takes is six days and she's back?

If she says I can't do it before the olympics, fine. Great. Take care of yourself. But, to do it in the middle of the biggest event, when there were no signs for years -- or you had people in your life you couldn't recongize it and remove you from it beforehand -- then you come back days later, just doesn't jive with me.

When I look at it I see someone who competeted for years at the highest level, got all the money and sponsorship and TV apperances and everything that went with it. Had no problems before hand. But, then basically cites exhaustion at the biggest moment. We all roll our eyes when celebrities or Janice at work does it, so why does Simone get a pass?

• Haha
Nope. As I said earlier, I believe in mental health. But, there is also like no reported cases of mental issues just showing up randomly in one's life.

So it just happens to show up in the biggest moment after her first stumble in god knows how many years. Then all it takes is six days and she's back?

If she says I can't do it before the olympics, fine. Great. Take care of yourself. But, to do it in the middle of the biggest event, when there were no signs for years -- or you had people in your life you couldn't recongize it and remove you from it before hand -- then you come back days later, just doesn't jive with me.
Wait, what.

THIS is something you actually believe !?: "there is also like no reported cases of mental issues just showing up randomly in one's life."

Wait, what.

THIS is something you actually believe: there is also like no reported cases of mental issues just showing up randomly in one's life?
Yes. go ahead and fine an article of a mental breakdown in a healthy individual.

They almost all build and show up earlier in life. The idea of a perfectly sane healthy 40 year old (or anyone over the age of 12) having some type of mental break is crazily rare. Most build over time and there are plenty of warning signs beforehand.

Most aren't also cured in six days. I know when I had DT from my drinking I certaintly wasn't useful or could do the same thing six days later.

You might cite a "nervous breakdown." But, that's not a recognized medical condition and almost always has underlying issues such as depression or anxiety.

OK I’m going to jump in here. I have a background in gymnastics and diving and will tell you guys that you do not know what you are talking about. Yes, the twisties are a real thing and was likely brought on by the pressure. She absolutely is doing the right thing by not competing because when a gymnast/diver has this happen, they are completely lost in the air and it could result in a very serious accident. It usually will freak them out and create a mental block, and you have to relearn the skill(s) from scratch. That is why she is taking it day by day because she has been working in the gym to try to relearn her skills, but she is up against time and really only has one day left. My guess is that we will see her do a watered-down dismount in beam that does not involve twisting and maybe only one salto. I have known people who have had it happen and who have crashed pretty bad, and have never been able to get that skill back again. I’ve known some in diving, who have had it happen on one particular type of dive and who could go on a to dive an Olympic list on all the other dives, but could only do a basic dive on the one they got lost on because of it. She did not quit, it is the right thing to do.
No where in this do you call her a loser quitter so it will be ignored.

Reactions: mnole03 and CalGuti

If she says I can't do it before the olympics, fine. Great. Take care of yourself. But, to do it in the middle of the biggest event, when there were no signs for years -- or you had people in your life you couldn't recongize it and remove you from it beforehand -- then you come back days later, just doesn't jive with me.

When I look at it I see someone who competeted for years at the highest level, got all the money and sponsorship and TV apperances and everything that went with it. Had no problems before hand. But, then basically cites exhaustion at the biggest moment. We all roll our eyes when celebrities or Janice at work does it, so why does Simone get a pass?
You mean like someone who was sexually abused by the team doctor of the sport she is currently competing in run by the program that never faced any consequences for allowing that to happen to her and her teammates?

You mean like someone who was sexually abused by the team doctor of the sport she is currently competing in run by the program that never faced any consequences for allowing that to happen to her and her teammates?
and comeptes for years at the highest level including previous olympics then randomly has it trigger without any event to perticipate it?

Yeah that's pretty rare.

(and if you want to use that argument, fine. But, then you're going to tell me a rape/abuse victim dealt with all those emotions, feelings, guilt, anger, sadness, and whatever else to compete again as a world class athlete in six days?! For the love of god someone stop her.)

Yes. go ahead and fine an article of a mental breakdown in a healthy individual.

They almost all build and show up earlier in life. The idea of a perfectly sane healthy 40 year old (or anyone over the age of 12) having some type of mental break is crazily rare. Most build over time and there are plenty of warning signs beforehand.

Most aren't also cured in six days. I know when I had DT from my drinking I certaintly wasn't useful or could do the same thing six days later.

You might cite a "nervous breakdown." But, that's not a recognized medical condition and almost always has underlying issues such as depression or anxiety.
You're aware Simone Biles was sexually assaulted for YEARS by a supposedly trusted member of her support team.

You think maybe that might be a "warning sign?"

Seriously, you are a good poster most of the time, but your views on this topic are absolutely illogical and wack.
This will likely be my last post in this thread, as this conversation is pointless.

She might be the greatest, she still quit when things got tough. Noting in her past changes what just happened. It got tough and she just up and left. If she was hurt or the Twisities was that big of a problem, she is really back six days later?

Having "noting left to prove" means noting. As I said if Lebron said nah I can't play in game 7, he'd be eviscerated. Nobody would say oh well he's one MVP a crap ton and won at every competition in the sport so its OK. That's such a lame argument.

And yes I knew who she was before all of this. I'm not a moron. I don't think she's faking it, I think it got tough and she took her ball and went home.

And she might have a dozen dismounts. Here's hoping she doesn't spin on the Y axis at all because if it does it blows up joes point that you only do front flips on the beam and that is why she can compete in this event and not others.
So you would have preferred she stayed in the competition, screwed up, and cost her teammates any medal?

That would be selfish. She was struggling and stepped aside for her team and they finished exactly where they were after prelims with Biles, she wasn't getting them gold even with a great performance, they've gone over that scoring many times. It literally had zero effect.

Simone seems to be getting so much heat when Novak Djokavic appears to freak out, throw a fit, quit on his teamate and everyone moves on. Odd.

and comeptes for years at the highest level including previous olympics then randomly has it trigger without any event to perticipate it?

Yeah that's pretty rare.

(and if you want to use that argument, fine. But, then you're going to tell me a rape/abuse victim dealt with all those emotions, feelings, guilt, anger, sadness, and whatever else to compete again as a world class athlete in six days?! For the love of god someone stop her.)
A trigger? You mean like competing under the direction of the group that was part of her abuse? That sort of trigger?

Reactions: mnole03

Yeah that's pretty rare.

You and the rest of the keyboard warriors don’t get to determine when or how she deals with her trauma.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT