ADVERTISEMENT

Since 2015 Iowa is 64-25 which is a 72% winning pct

No offense the 2015 time frame is so biased. It’s like when isu fans talk about our series was always from. 98’ on. For Iowa to go back 3,4,5-10+ years is more fair. But when we start with our 12-2 year it’s going to be biased when you incorporate results. Just like if was 14’ would lower the %s.

Recruiting has ramped up the past several seasons as well with 2023 class looking very promising to boot. Just fyi
just an FYI, Iowa's recruiting has ramped up in the areas they are having success in. They are starting a walk-on WR and have zero depth at the position. I do not understand how anyone can say Iowa is ready to make the next step with a serious problem in recruiting the WR/TE position currently.

No offense the 2015 time frame is so biased. It’s like when isu fans talk about our series was always from. 98’ on. For Iowa to go back 3,4,5-10+ years is more fair. But when we start with our 12-2 year it’s going to be biased when you incorporate results. Just like if was 14’ would lower the %s.
I don't disagree but also some perspective on the success we've experienced in numerous consecutive seasons and not just a handful.

just an FYI, Iowa's recruiting has ramped up in the areas they are having success in. They are starting a walk-on WR and have zero depth at the position. I do not understand how anyone can say Iowa is ready to make the next step with a serious problem in recruiting the WR/TE position currently.
Good points as well. Just wanted some perspective here but I agree with your concerns.

Defensive recruiting is at an all time high and we just landed a really good in-state olineman. The rest is really open for debate.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
That winning % is exactly how Ferentz justifies his system. It's been successful overall. But if you have half of your team stagnant and basically being anchor on true improvement, you need to react and repair the problem. I understand he is in a tough spot having given his son the keys to the offense, but he needs to be treated just like any other position coach that is failing at his job. He can't simply ignore the results and get prissy with the fans and media that keep pointing it out. That will not fix the problem.

That winning % is exactly how Ferentz justifies his system. It's been successful overall. But if you have half of your team stagnant and basically being anchor on true improvement, you need to react and repair the problem. I understand he is in a tough spot having given his son the keys to the offense, but he needs to be treated just like any other position coach that is failing at his job. He can't simply ignore the results and get prissy with the fans and media that keep pointing it out. That will not fix the problem.
I don't disagree just posting facts and perspective as well.

Iowa has beaten one legitimate Top 25 team in four seasons.

So, while the winning percentage has improved since 2011-2014, the product on the field has not.
A lot of those "illegitimate" in your eyes top 25 teams were knocked out of the top 25 because of their loss to us after we beat them...

The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

A lot of those "illegitimate" in your eyes top 25 teams were knocked out of the top 25 because of their loss to us after we beat them...

The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture
Not really. Indiana was terrible last year and Penn State and Iowa State were mediocre.

I think USC and Mississippi State were marginal Top 25 teams to begin with.

Try again.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Not really. Indiana was terrible last year and Penn State and Iowa State were mediocre.

I think USC and Mississippi State were marginal Top 25 teams to begin with.

Try again.
😆 no need you painted a broad brush and it isn't absolute. 72% winning percentage over a large consecutive span of seasons is all my post says. We shall see what Saturday brings. And for the record BF needs to be demoted or canned IMO.

Name me the last OOC game we won against anyone good? We have played OSU 1 time in that time frame? If we were in the old b10 and played mich, psu, osu 90% of the time it would maybe be better.

Winning 72% of games over a large sample size of seasons does speak volumes I agree.
Largely against directional schools and conference bottom feeders like Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.

If you don’t like others cherry-picking stats, don’t use your own circular reasoning. Iowa has won a lot of games over mostly ho hum teams with defense and special teams the last few years. The offense has gone from a shit show to a shit show inside of a dumpster fire. If defending that is the hill you want to die on, more power to you, but don’t expect the rest of us to join you in putting lipstick on a pig.

Recruiting has ramped up the past several seasons as well with 2023 class looking very promising to boot. Just fyi
This thread should read
Since 2015 Phil Parker is 64-25…
Recruiting is up for sure but at some point when offensive players aren’t developing it will turn. That’s the big elephant in the room. Player development used to be something we prided ourselves on . It’s not happening on the offensive side of the ball

The stat that BNG posted about Minnesota being the only team Iowa has beaten in the last 4 seasons that finished in top 25 was very telling. We haven't played OSU (taken off schedule with covid revision) and only had Michigan once in that stretch so the schedule makers and being in a mediocre big ten west have been Kirk's best friend.

This season will be a much better litmus of where the program is. If the offense doesn't look much better soon I have a tough time seeing the 23 recruiting class look the same on signing day as it does now. I don't blame a single offensive player who wants no part of this

Just giving you sh$t. Last year it was 7 seasons. The year before it was 6 seasons. Next year it will be 9 seasons. Iowa fans are just really good at cherry picking that starting point.
So where would you like to start? 1965.... If you are talking about where Iowa is at as a football program (WE don't want to be like NE and live too far in the past) let's look at last year which would ne 71.4% not much different than from 2015 Or let's go back 2 years. That would make it 72.7%. Or let's take the 5-year average which is 70.4%. Any way you slice it. Iowa is doing pretty good recently.

So where would you like to start? 1965.... If you are talking about where Iowa is at as a football program (WE don't want to be like NE and live too far in the past) let's look at last year which would ne 71.4% not much different than from 2015 Or let's go back 2 years. That would make it 72.7%. Or let's take the 5-year average which is 70.4%. Any way you slice it. Iowa is doing pretty good recently.
✅️

Largely against directional schools and conference bottom feeders like Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.

If you don’t like others cherry-picking stats, don’t use your own circular reasoning. Iowa has won a lot of games over mostly ho hum teams with defense and special teams the last few years. The offense has gone from a shit show to a shit show inside of a dumpster fire. If defending that is the hill you want to die on, more power to you, but don’t expect the rest of us to join you in putting lipstick on a pig.
You can only beat who you play though. Sure the offense has been gross but the argument that we haven't beat anyone is silly. It's literally impossible to beat anyone who isn't on your schedule.

Okay, well the records the last 4 years are 9-4, 10-3, 6-2 and 10-4 for a winning percentage of 66%. That's still very, very good.

Or, if you really want to be a real stickler and include the whole of Ferentz' time at Iowa, including the seasons where he was putting out a garbage fire and building, it's 62%, which is still very good.

Okay, well the records the last 4 years are 9-4, 10-3, 6-2 and 10-4 for a winning percentage of 66%. That's still very, very good.

Or, if you really want to be a real stickler and include the whole of Ferentz' time at Iowa, including the seasons where he was putting out a garbage fire and building, it's 62%, which is still very good.
That is 73% ;)

Just giving you sh$t. Last year it was 7 seasons. The year before it was 6 seasons. Next year it will be 9 seasons. Iowa fans are just really good at cherry picking that starting point.
It's not really cherry picking. It's recognizing a significant shift. We got back to winning in 2015.

I do think it's better to look at the years since we started using CASH, though. I think that's more indicative of the program we are now.
That is 73% ;)
35/53 is .66, right? What am I missing?

It's not really cherry picking. It's recognizing a significant shift

I was off on my denominator my apologies sir
It's not really cherry picking. It's recognizing a significant shift. We got back to winning in 2015.

I do think it's better to look at the years since we started using CASH, though. I think that's more indicative of the program we are now.

35/48 games played

Reactions: dbrocket
I was off on my denominator my apologies sir

35/48 games played
No worries. I just wanted to be sure I didn't mess up, because I was having to add everything up myself. Lol.

But the way, Penn State's winning percentage since KF took over at Iowa is 64.58%. Iowa isn't far behind that during KF's tenure. And if you "cherry picked" the dates since he started winning here, I suspect it would be dead even.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT