ADVERTISEMENT

Sitting with 2 fouls

This thread makes me wonder - if Fran let CJ continue to play and CJ picked up a third foul - how many people would be complaining that Fran was an idiot for allowing CJ to be in the game.
Nobody that I know of. Most have been extremely frustrated for years at how some of our key
players have lost a large share of game time, not because of the other team or because of the referees, but because of our own coach! It will backfire once in a while as any thing does, but go back and look at how many were held out for long periods and ended up with 3 or fewer fouls.

and you think playing someone with 2 won’t cause the same thing?!???

Sure it could, but getting that second foul will come later in the half, and you haven't spent those minutes between the first and second foul thinking you only have one foul to give before you're yanked for the half. If the player does get hit with that third foul there is more often than not only a few minutes left in the half that he's missing. The bottom line is that player has more minutes to play aggressive and more minutes played.

Sure it could, but getting that second foul will come later in the half, and you haven't spent those minutes between the first and second foul thinking you only have one foul to give before you're yanked for the half. If the player does get hit with that third foul there is more often than not only a few minutes left in the half that he's missing. The bottom line is that player has more minutes to play aggressive and more minutes played.
CJ only played 23 minutes & ended up with 4 fouls

Garza played 37
Weezy played 35

I would have liked to have seen CJ on the court for at least 30 minutes

If he fouls out, so be it, but go down w/ your best players playing

and you think playing someone with 2 won’t cause the same thing?!???
I think what every one is saying. Is that after 2nd foul (and a cooling off period on the bench) you can safely ask a player to play smart, but no dumb fouls, and this wI’ll allow your players the confidence to know that

#1 if they get 2 fouls they can get back into the game.

#2 you then free every player to play as aggressively as they can with 1 and 2 fouls, the entire 1h. Meaning you’re now optimizing the # of 1st half minutes that are played with aggressive defense (every player up to their 2nd foul), as opposed to now( it’s up to your 1st foul). This creates more total minutes played with aggressive defense (something we ALL agree is needed.

#3 I wouldnt mind every starter playing and Getting 2 1H fouls, particularly when it comes to defending the rim and particularly when it comes to the bigs off the bench. I really liked when pemsl and Kriener would immediately defend the rim and play loud defense. I’d like to see Nunge, Murray , P Mac provide that, with out fear of being benched with 2 fouls (as they only play 15-20m Max

all these kids want to play in the NBA, and they know they can’t get the needed minutes if they are on the bench with 2 fouls. Just saying...

CJ only played 23 minutes & ended up with 4 fouls

Garza played 37
Weezy played 35

I would have liked to have seen CJ on the court for at least 30 minutes

If he fouls out, so be it, but go down w/ your best players playing

Exactly. The first 20 minutes are just as important as the last 20 minutes and the only way to maximize minutes is to leave him on the floor.

Exactly. The first 20 minutes are just as important as the last 20 minutes and the only way to maximize minutes is to leave him on the floor.
Agree. Especially for the elite players like Garza, Wieskamp...

Most coaches apply the rule. They allow some guys who they trust. Depends on score, time and flow to the game. Like today. Garza with 12 min try and get back in for a few minutes. With 6-7 minutes sit him. Or like today you have 4 starters with 2 Bench is struggling got to put one of them in. Not a fan at all of frans sit em philosophy.

With the number of potential minutes we have sitting on the bench it seems to me only Luka and Joe Dub should sit with 2 in the 1st half.

CJ never seemed to get comfortable after sitting.

Have we had anyone foul out so far this year?
Fran has lowest 2 foul participation % in country

proving he knows more about 2 fouls participating they every other coach

The only petson that can stop garza is Fran, and he proved it again today...

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
And I believe Garza still has 2 fouls with 3 minutes left. Dumb coaching philosophy.

What does that say about our head coach when he doesn’t trust his senior national player of the year to play a few minutes with out fouling. Just another Fran blunder that cost us today with that closing 2-3
Minutes of the first half.

Let's just hope that if it happens in the NCAA tourney Fran doesn't decide to throw in the towel by doing it.

Clearly Garza woul have fouled out today, if he wouldn't have sat after 2 fouls.

Of course he had no fouls in the 2nd half. Haha

Should be a 3 foul rule for some players....like Garza

What does that say about our head coach when he doesn’t trust his senior national player of the year to play a few minutes with out fouling. Just another Fran blunder that cost us today with that closing 2-3
Minutes of the first half.
Agreed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT