ADVERTISEMENT

skiing Steamboat??

iowahaha1

All-Conference
Apr 15, 2015
Anyone every ski there? I'm taking the kids there for a week of skiing. For the last few years I've taken them to a new place. Keystone and Telluride in my opinion were great, Park City not so much. Just seeing if anyone has been.

I’ve been to all of the places you mentioned and they are all great. I’m mostly just surprised you didn’t have fun in Park City, I think it’s a great place. Sometimes just the luck of the weather can color your impression of a place. If you get good snow you think it’s an amazing place or if there is no fresh snow and extreme cold you think it’s terrible.

You will love Steamboat, it’s one of my favorites. As opposed to most places in Colorado that are old mining towns, Steamboat was more of a ranching community, which gives it a different feel.

I have skied there a few times - one of my favorites. Good slopes, usually great powder. Good food/beer options on the slopes, and a cool downtown area with public transport from the flipside area to the town. Hot springs right outside of town are great.
Not sure I have ever talked to anyone who did not really enjoy it.

Reactions: iowahaha1
I’ve been to all of the places you mentioned and they are all great. I’m mostly just surprised you didn’t have fun in Park City, I think it’s a great place. Sometimes just the luck of the weather can color your impression of a place. If you get good snow you think it’s an amazing place or if there is no fresh snow and extreme cold you think it’s terrible.

You will love Steamboat, it’s one of my favorites. As opposed to most places in Colorado that are old mining towns, Steamboat was more of a ranching community, which gives it a different feel.
I was just in Park City this past week for work. Working at a new electrical substation that’s being put in for a brand new ski resort they’re building.

I love Steamboat though it can get windy. Kid under 12 used to ski free with an adult pass. Not sure if that's still the case or not. Be sure to check out the ski jumpers at Howelsan Hill. The winter carnival features night ski jumpers on the hill with flaming sled and hoops...

I skied Steamboat with four friends in February for three days. Had a bad cold snap where the temps were pretty harsh also, but to be expected in Feb (double-digit below zero in the AM when we started). We didn’t get any fresh snow while we were there either, so the runs were a little icy In places. But the place is fantastic for skiing and food places to eat and drink on the slopes and at the bottom as someone else mentioned. Highly recommend a Mexican place called “Salt & Lime” downtown for dinner - went twice.

A bunch of sororities at FSU have Steamboat in their ski trip rotation. Try to time your trip for then.
You’re right. - my daughter (no pics) and a bunch of her sorority sisters from Mizzou went there for spring break one year.

Reactions: mnole03
Anyone every ski there? I'm taking the kids there for a week of skiing. For the last few years I've taken them to a new place. Keystone and Telluride in my opinion were great, Park City not so much. Just seeing if anyone has been.
Our family tradition was skiing at Keystone, and we loved it.

One year we went to Steamboat and it was awesome. We had an unbelievable amount of powder. Snowmobiling was actually more fun that skiing!

One of the things we really liked is that Steamboat is an actual town - not a ski resort. Lots of bars, restaurants and shops.

Park City was really icy at the time we went. Most of the good skiing were the blacks at the time, but they were to steep for the kids. Also stayed in the worst Double Tree hotel in the world there.
Then kick off the mountain after 2 days due to Covid infection when 1 person downtown tested positive at the beginning of the pandemic.

• Sad
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
CSB. First skiing experience. 4 of us guys from IC go to Salt Lake City to see the Hawks in the first round of the NCAAs vs. Arkansas in 1985. ( Joe Kliene and 94 feet of hell ). We lead by 14 early in the half as Sir Jamalot is on fire. We faded in the second half, scored only 21 points 6-15 free throws! Lose by 9. It's Thursday PM and SLC is all but a dry town. Our flights are like Monday so we decide to try skiing ( though all we had was jeans and Iowa jackets ) but it was about 55 in SLC that day. So we get on a bus that drops us off at Snowbird and continues to Alta. We decide to get off at Snowbird. Best decision of our lives. We proceed to snowplow for hours. ( none of us had ever been on skis before ) We heard an explosion like you often do for avalanche control, but then sirens and ambulances soon were roaring past. A gas explosion at Alta had leveled part of the lodge there. Despite the scare we skied on Sunday at the Canyons and I was hooked on skiing the rest of my life...

The bodies of a man and a woman killed when a wing of a three-story ski lodge was demolished by an explosion Friday were pulled from the rubble today, and the authorities said they did not believe anyone else was trapped inside.
The explosion, which officials believe was caused by a leak in a 10,000-gallon propane tank in the basement of the lodge, also injured at least six people, one of them critically.
The dead man had been in a room at the lodge, the Goldminer's Daughter, when the explosion occurred, said Sheriff Pete Hayward of Salt Lake County. He said the body had not been positively identified.
''He was dead when we got him out,'' Sheriff Hayward said. ''At this time we don't feel there is anyone else in there.''

Floors and Walls of Cement
Rescuers earlier removed the body of a woman, identified as Barbara Corallo, 49 years old, of Livermore, Calif., said the sheriff's dispatcher, Gary Lucier.
''Those floors are all solid cement, the walls are cement, Sheriff Hayward said. ''The walls have blown out and all three floors have come down on the bottom floor, and they must weigh up to 50 tons apiece.''
The explosion destroyed a wing that contained 45 rooms on three floors and 12 staff rooms in a basement, the office manager, June Janko, said.
Most of the 170 guests at the lodge, about 20 miles southeast of Salt Lake City, were skiing when the explosion occurred about 2 P.M.
A 12-year-old, Louise Weins of Hartland, Wis., was rescued after being trapped for eight hours after the blast by a concrete slab that pinned her hand. She was freed when cranes lifted the 25-ton slab. Earlier, doctors had debated whether to amputate her hand to free her.

I opted not to rent a car... The shuttle for 4 was $180 round trip to the air-port. The car was $600. The resort on the Mountain said do not trust Uber.. We found a grocery store with a $10 charge to deliver food. As we have never been there, I figured I go that route. We usually like to stock our fridge so kids can snack ect. I guess I will have a better idea once we get there on how things are typically done. Every town and place is very different.

I wonder how that original investment worked out for those guys? I think there were some struggles at the beginning.
I think alright. They had sold to Quaker Oats and then it went to Vail properties. I guess they had more resorts to ski at then. I recently heard this may be the last generation of the lifetime lift passes.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I think alright. They had sold to Quaker Oats and then it went to Vail properties. I guess they had more resorts to ski at then. I recently heard this may be the last generation of the lifetime lift passes.

I’m pretty sure they sold to ralston purina who sold to vail.

Last edited:
We like Steamboat. It can be a bit more sketchy to get in and out due to being more remote with smaller roads in and out when the storms roll through vs Keystone etc. My brother and I have looked at property for the last couple of years but haven't pulled the trigger. Still has a mountain town feel compared to the other more developed mountain cities.
Less people, more CO mtn town feel (less developed) but further to access. Also "better" in the summer for the same reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT