ADVERTISEMENT

Sneaking a peak at 2016

If they want to LEARN anything about Iowa's defense they do, since I know more about it than anyone on here. But people on here don't want to learn, they just want to see their words on the screen and want attention.
I don't care about seeing my words. But I do like attention from the people I respect. Stay smart my friend, stay smart.

Have a feeling that there will be a large list of candidates to fill Fischers spot at LB and wont necessarily be handed over to Bower. King gets put out on an island regularly so he does change the defensive scheme. No he is not a god but he has by far the most responsibility on the defense and no one is going to be perfect. Hopefully we will have some FB's/kickers ready to go

I don't think Bower will get it. There is a reason they moved him from WLB. It will be either Mends or Hockaday.

Hearing Waechter and Newborg have been impressive on scout team. I see Waechter as a backup tackle and Newborg 2nd string guard. Both guys came off pretty significant injuries last November. Both lost 6 months of weight room growth.

Yeah I have read from a few people that the staff is high on Waechter.

When they have a lockdown corner, like King is, the do in fact change their scheme in some occasions, depending on opponent and situation. Sometimes on a blitz the one high safety will shade opposite kings side as opposed to playing "center field" and readings eyes. This tells QB his read is Kings side and it ends up being broken up or picked. Also, King is in fact a lockdown corner because he locks down his side...who the hell said a lockdown corner has to switch sides....furthermore King does move around and plays slot reciever in our raider package and has at least 2 picks at least playing there

A 'lock down' corner, by definition, is a corner who plays man coverage on the opponents no. 1 receiver in an attempt to deny him the ball. I don't know where you got your definition? I know your a coach and I normally enjoy your posts, but you are incorrect in this one. I have gone to Iowa's camp/clinic numerous times (and many others) including this year and they haven't changed their schemes from when Norm was there, except for the raider package. It's the same scheme that Speivey, and Prater and Hyde, etc. excelled in. There are no special schemes for King, although like Prater, King is good at 'disguising' coverage. As I have mentioned a couple times before, he (like Prater was) is good at baiting the QB into throwing to the corner route when they run smash routes against cover2. He acts like he is 'sitting down' in the flat but quickly breaks under the corner route. That has accounted for 3 of his picks this year.

They play cover2, quarterscoverage, 1/4,1/4,1/2 (normally against trips), they'll 'roll' to cover3 when they blitz, and they have been playing a lot of cover2, man under (especially in the raider package), just like they always have. You are correct that he plays a slot receiver when they play man under in the raider package, but that's the only time he 'moves around'. I know he had one pick from the raider when he jumped under the quick out to the slot receiver.

As far as your blitz comment, I have no idea what you are talking about. When who blitzes? The LEO? The Mike? the corner? Almost all the time when they blitz (except in raider) they roll to cover 3 with the SS rolling to the zone vacated by the blitzer. What it sounds like you're describing with the 1 high safety shading away from King, is their 1/4,1/4,1/2 coverage because the safety has the 'inside' 1/4 and yes King is left on an island in that coverage as he has deep 1/2 on his side of the field. It's pretty much man on his side of the field since they only run this when they only one receiver to his side. It probably does look tempting to the QB with the corner playing fairly tight with no safety help but King (like many before him) plays it extremely well. He can play loose because he knows he is getting help underneath from the will or the ss depending on the call. It was this coverage they were in when Sash picked mich. st. and flipped the ball to Hyde and King had one pick in this coverage that I remember when they tried to go vertical on him. As far as King being his presnap read, totally depends on what play they have called, don't you think. If they are 'tagging' a receiver to run a vertical or hitch, yes, that would be an occasion when that is probably his read, etc...

Okay let's look at position groups. Up, Even, or down

Offensive line- Even
TE's- Down
WR's- Even
RB's- Up
QB's- Up
FB's- Down

Defensive line- Down
LB's- Up
Back 4- Even

Kickers- Down
Special Teams- Down

If these are even close to being accurate we have 5 down, 3 up and 3 even. So maybe the team will not be quite as good.
HOWEVER.....some of the replacement players have a chance to be BETTER than the guys they are replacing. So the team could be better for sure. In other words......Who the hell knows?

A 'lock down' corner, by definition, is a corner who plays man coverage on the opponents no. 1 receiver in an attempt to deny him the ball. I don't know where you got your definition? I know your a coach and I normally enjoy your posts, but you are incorrect in this one. I have gone to Iowa's camp/clinic numerous times (and many others) including this year and they haven't changed their schemes from when Norm was there, except for the raider package. It's the same scheme that Speivey, and Prater and Hyde, etc. excelled in. There are no special schemes for King, although like Prater, King is good at 'disguising' coverage. As I have mentioned a couple times before, he (like Prater was) is good at baiting the QB into throwing to the corner route when they run smash routes against cover2. He acts like he is 'sitting down' in the flat but quickly breaks under the corner route. That has accounted for 3 of his picks this year.

They play cover2, quarterscoverage, 1/4,1/4,1/2 (normally against trips), they'll 'roll' to cover3 when they blitz, and they have been playing a lot of cover2, man under (especially in the raider package), just like they always have. You are correct that he plays a slot receiver when they play man under in the raider package, but that's the only time he 'moves around'. I know he had one pick from the raider when he jumped under the quick out to the slot receiver.

As far as your blitz comment, I have no idea what you are talking about. When who blitzes? The LEO? The Mike? the corner? Almost all the time when they blitz (except in raider) they roll to cover 3 with the SS rolling to the zone vacated by the blitzer. What it sounds like you're describing with the 1 high safety shading away from King, is their 1/4,1/4,1/2 coverage because the safety has the 'inside' 1/4 and yes King is left on an island in that coverage as he has deep 1/2 on his side of the field. It's pretty much man on his side of the field since they only run this when they only one receiver to his side. It probably does look tempting to the QB with the corner playing fairly tight with no safety help but King (like many before him) plays it extremely well. He can play loose because he knows he is getting help underneath from the will or the ss depending on the call. It was this coverage they were in when Sash picked mich. st. and flipped the ball to Hyde and King had one pick in this coverage that I remember when they tried to go vertical on him. As far as King being his presnap read, totally depends on what play they have called, don't you think. If they are 'tagging' a receiver to run a vertical or hitch, yes, that would be an occasion when that is probably his read, etc...
A lockdown corner does not need to play man-to-man to be considered a "lockdown" corner....you do realize there is not an official definition of this.
Yes their base or main coverage scheme would appear to be a cover 2, but in reality it is called a "read 1/4". If it is a 1 WR side it ends up essentially being a cover 2, with a twins look the coverage is predicated based on what the #2 WR does in his route, in some cases it becomes cover 2, some cases it becomes 1/4-1/4, in some cases it becomes lock man, and yes on many of their blitzes they will roll to a cover 3. However, as I said occasionally they will lock into a man coverage and the 1 high safety will cheat to Mabin's side therefore giving the QB the read to thrown toward Kings side. If you think Iowa only has one coverage in the blitz package you are crazy.
And yes the scheme is similar to what Norm used to run, however, there are several tweaks and obviously more blitzing (Norm blitzed even less than Phil).
You also need to realize at these clinics they are not going into much detail and will only discuss their base coverage, concepts, and techniques. This is for obvious reasons: 1) Most at the clinic are pretty simple when it comes to football knowledge 2) You really do not expect them to go into depth about their entire scheme in that short amount of time and also probably do not want that information our to opponents.

Hearing Waechter and Newborg have been impressive on scout team. I see Waechter as a backup tackle and Newborg 2nd string guard. Both guys came off pretty significant injuries last November. Both lost 6 months of weight room growth.
Thanks a lot for passing on the info!

Okay let's look at position groups. Up, Even, or down

Offensive line- Even
TE's- Down
WR's- Even
RB's- Up
QB's- Up
FB's- Down

Defensive line- Down
LB's- Up
Back 4- Even

Kickers- Down
Special Teams- Down

If these are even close to being accurate we have 5 down, 3 up and 3 even. So maybe the team will not be quite as good.
HOWEVER.....some of the replacement players have a chance to be BETTER than the guys they are replacing. So the team could be better for sure. In other words......Who the hell knows?

I find it interesting that you consider the DL down. If we had a healthy Ott, I would agree. However, given how many quality reps Hesse and Nelson are getting now - I think that there is actually a decent chance for the DL to improve next year from where they're at NOW. Even though I think that losing Meiers is a significant loss, I think that Hesse is going to make significant strides in his pass-rush game and I think that the DTs are going to continue to improve.

Anyhow, here's my take:

On offense -
OL:
  • pass blocking - Up
  • run blocking - Slightly down (based largely on enthusiasm for Welsh and Daniels)
TE: Down
WR:
  • contribution in running game - Down
  • contribution in passing game - Up
RB: Up
QB: Up
FB: Down

On defense -
DL: Up
LB: Up
S: Down (possibly only slightly down - the loss of Lomax will likely outweigh the improvements made by Taylor)
CB: Up (if King returns - Down if he leaves)

Special teams: Down (possibly across the board - coverage could be okay)

A lockdown corner does not need to play man-to-man to be considered a "lockdown" corner....you do realize there is not an official definition of this.
Yes their base or main coverage scheme would appear to be a cover 2, but in reality it is called a "read 1/4". If it is a 1 WR side it ends up essentially being a cover 2, with a twins look the coverage is predicated based on what the #2 WR does in his route, in some cases it becomes cover 2, some cases it becomes 1/4-1/4, in some cases it becomes lock man, and yes on many of their blitzes they will roll to a cover 3. However, as I said occasionally they will lock into a man coverage and the 1 high safety will cheat to Mabin's side therefore giving the QB the read to thrown toward Kings side. If you think Iowa only has one coverage in the blitz package you are crazy.
And yes the scheme is similar to what Norm used to run, however, there are several tweaks and obviously more blitzing (Norm blitzed even less than Phil).
You also need to realize at these clinics they are not going into much detail and will only discuss their base coverage, concepts, and techniques. This is for obvious reasons: 1) Most at the clinic are pretty simple when it comes to football knowledge 2) You really do not expect them to go into depth about their entire scheme in that short amount of time and also probably do not want that information our to opponents.

From my experience, my definition is the most widely accepted.
In 'reality' they call it cover2. Maybe you call it read 1/4. You think they adjust or determine their coverage in the middle of the play? Huh? They adjust coverage based on formation, but you really believe they change coverage in the middle of plays depending what the 2 receiver does? What? They may read the 2 receiver? And they follow 'rules' in each coverage depending on the routes, but they certainly don't 'change coverage' in the middle of a play. Maybe your school does? I didn't say they only had one coverage on blitzes? What are the tweaks? You keep saying that they with one high safety and they lock into man coverage. That would be cover1, man free, but they rarely play that and almost exclusively in goal line. I think you are confusing the way they play 1/41/41/2 with that. What I liked about norm and phil is you can talk to them 1 on 1 and they will tell you just about anything you want to know. And you can ask Phil what he has changed from Norms and he' tell you, 'nothing'. He has said they 'added' a few things, but they haven't changed anything. Their defense is simple (and they are proud of it's simplicity) predicated on technique and 'rules' and they don't try to 'fool' anyone. And they don't care who knows it. You should go some year. I think you would enjoy it.
P.S. why do you keep saying 'the read to throw to kings side'? So you're saying that if they had an inside zone play called and we were in that coverage, the qb would throw the ball to kings side? or if the had a bubble screen called to the trip side, the qb would not throw it but would instead throw to kings side? If you read what I said, it totally depends on what play they have called as to whether King would be his presnap read. Great to hear you 'take' on things.

I find it interesting that you consider the DL down. If we had a healthy Ott, I would agree. However, given how many quality reps Hesse and Nelson are getting now - I think that there is actually a decent chance for the DL to improve next year from where they're at NOW. Even though I think that losing Meiers is a significant loss, I think that Hesse is going to make significant strides in his pass-rush game and I think that the DTs are going to continue to improve.

Anyhow, here's my take:

On offense -
OL:
  • pass blocking - Up
  • run blocking - Slightly down (based largely on enthusiasm for Welsh and Daniels)
WR:

On defense -
S: Down (possibly only slightly down - the loss of Lomax will likely outweigh the improvements made by Taylor)

Don't confuse less experience with less ability. We will be less experienced in some of these spots, but I don't believe we take a step down in any area (except kicking maybe) ability wise. A couple examples would be: Snyder at safety. Lomax is experienced and a good leader from what I've heard, but I actually think Snyder will be a better FS. Another point. At FB we lose 2 really experienced FB's but Kelly is a brute of a blocker and Kulick gives them a legitimate reciever threat that they don't have with these FB's. He just needs to put on a few more lbs. to be the blocker they want him to be. So in a way you could say 'up' at FB.

In 'reality' they call it cover2. Maybe you call it read 1/4. You think they adjust or determine their coverage in the middle of the play? Huh? They adjust coverage based on formation, but you really believe they change coverage in the middle of plays depending what the 2 receiver does? What? They may read the 2 receiver? And they follow 'rules' in each coverage depending on the routes, but they certainly don't 'change coverage' in the middle of a play. Maybe your school does? I didn't say they only had one coverage on blitzes? What are the tweaks? You keep saying that they with one high safety and they lock into man coverage. That would be cover1, man free, but they rarely play that and almost exclusively in goal line. I think you are confusing the way they play 1/41/41/2 with that. What I liked about norm and phil is you can talk to them 1 on 1 and they will tell you just about anything you want to know. And you can ask Phil what he has changed from Norms and he' tell you, 'nothing'. He has said they 'added' a few things, but they haven't changed anything. Their defense is simple (and they are proud of it's simplicity) predicated on technique and 'rules' and they don't try to 'fool' anyone. And they don't care who knows it. You should go some year. I think you would enjoy it.
P.S. why do you keep saying 'the read to throw to kings side'? So you're saying that if they had an inside zone play called and we were in that coverage, the qb would throw the ball to kings side? or if the had a bubble screen called to the trip side, the qb would not throw it but would instead throw to kings side? If you read what I said, it totally depends on what play they have called as to whether King would be his presnap read. Great to hear you 'take' on things.

Well your definition must not be the same as most people covering the NFL use for lockdown corner. How many times has Richard Shermon been considered a lock down corner. All the time by analyst and former players, who sorry may know more about football than you. Sherman doesn't always line up on the best player but majority of the time on the same side of the field.

Well your definition must not be the same as most people covering the NFL use for lockdown corner. How many times has Richard Shermon been considered a lock down corner. All the time by analyst and former players, who sorry may know more about football than you. Sherman doesn't always line up on the best player but majority of the time on the same side of the field.

I don't think this is accurate on Sherman. Pretty sure they've had this same debate. And I don't think he switches sides much at all.

Lockdown corner, shutdown corner. I think it's a matter of opinion and semantics. Here's a player that disagrees with you based on his definition...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-believe-richard-sherman-is-a-shutdown-corner
Oh, and below is wikipedias take on a shutdown corner, so I stand by my definition. It's a term that is thrown around way to much so it has kind of lost it's original meaning and intent.

"The most effective cornerbacks are typically called "shutdown corners," because they can cover an offensive receiver so effectively, on either side of the field, that the quarterback doesn't bother to throw towards (or target) the receiver being covered by a "shutdown corner" any longer. A "shutdown corner" is most often used to identify a cornerback that "lines up" on either side of the defensive zone of the field of play. This term, "shutdown corner", is typically used to refer to only an elite few players in the game of American Football."

Last edited:
Totally, fine....it is OK that we have differing definition of a lockdown corner. And yes in a read 1/4 the coverage is predicated on the route of the #2 WR. For instance, the corner and saftey will be reading the #2 WR and if he runs an out route the CB will jump the #2 on the out route and the safety will drive over the top of the #1 WR (pretty much a cover 2) If the #2 runs a slant route the FS will drive the slant and the CB's eyes will shift to the #1 and it ends up being essentially man to man coverage (with underneath help from LB's dropping in the hook-curl zones)
It is pretty simple, especially up front, but the coverages are bit more complex than many give it credit for.
I keep saying the QB read would be to King's side because if there is only one high safety and he is breaking opposite to king's side QB's (in it's simplest form) would have a read to King's side due to one on one coverage. Obviously a bubble or a specified called offensive play would not warrant a Safety or LB read, that is pretty self-explanatory.
It appears as though you are saying that you have sat down one on one with Norm and Phil and had an in depth discussion about coverage's....not calling you a liar but I certainly find that comment questionable at best.

Anyhow, here's my take:

On offense -
OL:
  • pass blocking - Up
WR:

On defense -

Ghost....losing Ott and Meier will be rough to replace. Hesse is getting valuable reps to be sure. I guess I don't see our D Line being better next year. With excellent improvement a push is possible.

Totally, fine....it is OK that we have differing definition of a lockdown corner. And yes in a read 1/4 the coverage is predicated on the route of the #2 WR. For instance, the corner and saftey will be reading the #2 WR and if he runs an out route the CB will jump the #2 on the out route and the safety will drive over the top of the #1 WR (pretty much a cover 2) If the #2 runs a slant route the FS will drive the slant and the CB's eyes will shift to the #1 and it ends up being essentially man to man coverage (with underneath help from LB's dropping in the hook-curl zones)
It is pretty simple, especially up front, but the coverages are bit more complex than many give it credit for.
I keep saying the QB read would be to King's side because if there is only one high safety and he is breaking opposite to king's side QB's (in it's simplest form) would have a read to King's side due to one on one coverage. Obviously a bubble or a specified called offensive play would not warrant a Safety or LB read, that is pretty self-explanatory.
It appears as though you are saying that you have sat down one on one with Norm and Phil and had an in depth discussion about coverage's....not calling you a liar but I certainly find that comment questionable at best.

It's awesome how the coaches make themselves available especially at the beginning of the camp/clinic. No never have 'sat down' with them. But I have approached and asked them lots of questions about how they do things and some about some the subtleties in their approach over the years. Myself and a couple other coaches had Phils ear for about 20 minutes this last clinic. He loves to talk about what they do and why.
I understand most of what you are saying and one thing I do know about coaches and programs is that the terminology can be quite different from one to the another.
Oh, and here's wikipedias definition of a shutdown corner:
The most effective cornerbacks are typically called "shutdown corners," because they can cover an offensive receiver so effectively, on either side of the field, that the quarterback doesn't bother to throw towards (or target) the receiver being covered by a "shutdown corner" any longer. A "shutdown corner" is most often used to identify a cornerback that "lines up" on either side of the defensive zone of the field of play. This term, "shutdown corner", is typically used to refer to only an elite few players in the game of American Football.

I think the terms lockdown corner and shutdown corner have been so overused that the meaning has become bastardized and the original meaning almost forgotten.

It's awesome how the coaches make themselves available especially at the beginning of the camp/clinic. No never have 'sat down' with them. But I have approached and asked them lots of questions about how they do things and some about some the subtleties in their approach over the years. Myself and a couple other coaches had Phils ear for about 20 minutes this last clinic. He loves to talk about what they do and why.
I understand most of what you are saying and one thing I do know about coaches and programs is that the terminology can be quite different from one to the another.
Oh, and here's wikipedias definition of a shutdown corner:
The most effective cornerbacks are typically called "shutdown corners," because they can cover an offensive receiver so effectively, on either side of the field, that the quarterback doesn't bother to throw towards (or target) the receiver being covered by a "shutdown corner" any longer. A "shutdown corner" is most often used to identify a cornerback that "lines up" on either side of the defensive zone of the field of play. This term, "shutdown corner", is typically used to refer to only an elite few players in the game of American Football.

I think the terms lockdown corner and shutdown corner have been so overused that the meaning has become bastardized and the original meaning almost forgotten.
By that definition I do not see how you would not consider King a lockdown CB, I think you are caught up on the "either" side of the field and confusing that with both sides of the field. If King is on one side of the field the % of throws to that side is dramatically reduced and the % of completions to his side is also very low.....which means that King "locks" down one side of the field. Most CB's perfer one side of the field, much like most DE's prefer one side of the line. It allows you to maximize you technique and fundamentals because it is actually drmatically different switching sides and even most NFL "lockdown" corners do not switch fields often

By that definition I do not see how you would not consider King a lockdown CB, I think you are caught up on the "either" side of the field and confusing that with both sides of the field. If King is on one side of the field the % of throws to that side is dramatically reduced and the % of completions to his side is also very low.....which means that King "locks" down one side of the field. Most CB's perfer one side of the field, much like most DE's prefer one side of the line. It allows you to maximize you technique and fundamentals because it is actually drmatically different switching sides and even most NFL "lockdown" corners do not switch fields often

Wow, are you a politician when your not coaching? Lol. How can you surmise what you did from that definition. It is quite clear: because they can cover an offensive receiver so effectively, on either side of the field.
Let's simplify the sentence for you without changing it's meaning. We will take out the word 'offensive' (it's not needed, we know all receivers are offensive) and we'll move 'so effectively' to the end of the sentence where it belongs.(dangling participle). so we are left with, 'BECAUSE THEY CAN COVER A RECEIVER ON EITHER SIDE OF THE FIELD SO EFFECTIVELY'! I hope that helps.
A "shutdown corner" is most often used to identify a cornerback that "lines up" on either side of the defensive zone of the field of play. If you could call a corner who only plays on one side of field a 'shutdown' corner, what would be the purpose of even putting this sentence in the definition? What part of this don't you understand? Really? Either absolutely means 'both' in this sentence? You really think it means he can be a EITHER a left corner, or a right corner? Wow. Okay, I'm done with this. You're making my brain hurt trying to figure out how you came to those conclusions.
Most of the corners that they call lockdown or shutdown in the NFL are not, by definition. It just a 'catch phrase' , buzzword they like to use.

Several posters are concerned about next year's loss of Koehn and Kidd. They will be missed, to be sure. However, we do have two capable place-kickers already in the program who are ready to step up. Ellis kicked 3 PATs in games last year. Recinos kicked 2 PATs and 2KOs in the North Texas game this year. Both looked good. Punting is a bit less certain, but there are 2 guys on roster (Recinos and Rastetter) that punt, and have punted very well (at times) in pre-game and half-time warmups. With improved mechanics of their drops, both should greatly improve their consistency.

While Koehn and Kidd deserve recognition for their solid work, the change in scheme also deserves recognition. The switch to the shield punt has yielded excellent results, IMO, as there have been very few returns on punts this year. The few punts that have been returned, have been for short yardage (see below). According to stats.ncaa.org, Iowa ranks #63 in the country in terms of net yards punting. While this may seem worse than one would think, it's worth noting that Iowa's average of 37.74 is only 6 yards from San Jose St, the top team in the country (43.52 net yd/punt). Also, Kidd has come up huge in specific game situations to flip the field for the Hawks. Perhaps a better reflection of scheme is the fact that opponents have only averaged approx 3.3 yards/punt return (100 opponent punt return yds divided by 31 punts total). This system will be put to the test with both Maryland and Nebraska, as they have excellent punt returners.

Ghost....losing Ott and Meier will be rough to replace. Hesse is getting valuable reps to be sure. I guess I don't see our D Line being better next year. With excellent improvement a push is possible.
Suterman - I totally agree.

I just suppose that I've considered this season essentially a Ott-free season because he played so few snaps. In the first game he was limited due to a bloody-nose that wouldn't stop. In game 2, very early on, he dislocated his elbow. After that point, he really wasn't effective until the Wisconsin game. By my count, he was our x-factor against Wisconsin ... and he also played for around half of the Illinois game. Thus, through 7 games, Ott essentially had roughly only 2 games worth of quality snaps.

Thus, from my perspective, the starters for the current '15 DL are Meier, Johnson, Bazata, and Hesse. Of those starters, we are only losing Meier. Losing Meier is, without question, a significant loss.

However, seeing that football is a team game, I see the DL benefitting from having Josey Jewell in his 2nd year of calling the D for the front-seven. His extra experience will help the DL to be even better positioned. Secondly, 3 of the 4 starters return. Furthermore, Nelson has been getting A TON of quality snaps. In addition to the starters, I think we're seeing Ekakitie really take the next step in his development. He really seems to be playing with much greater confidence this season - and that is great to see. He's going to be even better next year. Terlouw has seen quality snaps too. Also, you just know that there are likely more than a few of the "next Hesse" waiting on deck to help contribute next season.

Given the above, I can only surmise that the group will most likely improve.

Consider this, many folks thought that it would be nearly impossible to replace the experience and ability of King and Kroul on the interior following the 2008 season. However, the 2009 Iowa DL ranks as one of its statistically most productive groups. It's crazy how things work out sometimes!

Suterman - I totally agree.

I just suppose that I've considered this season essentially a Ott-free season because he played so few snaps. In the first game he was limited due to a bloody-nose that wouldn't stop. In game 2, very early on, he dislocated his elbow. After that point, he really wasn't effective until the Wisconsin game. By my count, he was our x-factor against Wisconsin ... and he also played for around half of the Illinois game. Thus, through 7 games, Ott essentially had roughly only 2 games worth of quality snaps.

Thus, from my perspective, the starters for the current '15 DL are Meier, Johnson, Bazata, and Hesse. Of those starters, we are only losing Meier. Losing Meier is, without question, a significant loss.

However, seeing that football is a team game, I see the DL benefitting from having Josey Jewell in his 2nd year of calling the D for the front-seven. His extra experience will help the DL to be even better positioned. Secondly, 3 of the 4 starters return. Furthermore, Nelson has been getting A TON of quality snaps. In addition to the starters, I think we're seeing Ekakitie really take the next step in his development. He really seems to be playing with much greater confidence this season - and that is great to see. He's going to be even better next year. Terlouw has seen quality snaps too. Also, you just know that there are likely more than a few of the "next Hesse" waiting on deck to help contribute next season.

Given the above, I can only surmise that the group will most likely improve.

Consider this, many folks thought that it would be nearly impossible to replace the experience and ability of King and Kroul on the interior following the 2008 season. However, the 2009 Iowa DL ranks as one of its statistically most productive groups. It's crazy how things work out sometimes!

I really think it will be Reiff! The Prophet has spoken and the Prophets predictions are rarely wrong:cool:! If he's anything like his brother, his work ethic will be top notch. He has very good speed (for a DE), he was a great wrestler, so he understands leverage. Just needs to get bigger, stronger.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT