ADVERTISEMENT

So…Dean Oliver is leaving Wisconsin

I’m just glad to open this thread and not see 100 posters pining for him to be Iowa’s next head coach, because he was a good player at Iowa.

Progress.
But (I know...here we go)... what if he's in talks to join the staff of someone who's in line for the Iowa job as Fran will announce that he's moving on soon? ;)

Something to dream about tonight

I wonder if LukaDuka would have had issues with Dean's height if there were message boards back then. Oliver was only 5-11 and despite his small stature led Iowa to their last sweet 16. You can't make that up. Really, it happened, you can look it up!

I played against Raef LaFrentz in high school camps.
Me too.

He was older than me.

Played against him in Future Stars
I did not play against him as I was still in elementary or middle school but he did play against my high school as we were both in the upper Iowa conference.
Have his autograph on the program from that game somewhere.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I wonder if LukaDuka would have had issues with Dean's height if there were message boards back then. Oliver was only 5-11 and despite his small stature led Iowa to their last sweet 16. You can't make that up. Really, it happened, you can look it up!
I'm aware, and he was much better than Harding.

I played against Raef LaFrentz in high school camps.
Years ago when living in KC I played in a summer league with a few ex NBA, KU & MU players. Most notable were Scotty Wedman & Andre "bad moon" Risen. Wedman would take 2 dribbles across half court & rain three's. Risen was a bull... strong dude & would drive his shoulder right in your chest & never get called for a charge... rec league refs are same as Big10 refs.. lol

Years ago when living in KC I played in a summer league with a few ex NBA, KU & MU players. Most notable were Scotty Wedman & Andre "bad moon" Risen. Wedman would take 2 dribbles across half court & rain three's. Risen was a bull... strong dude & would drive his shoulder right in your chest & never get called for a charge... rec league refs are same as Big10 refs.. lol
Wedman? Damn, he played for the Kansas City Kings before they went to Sac. IIRC.

Played with Bill Robinzine when Dr. Dunkenstein broke the first backboard in the NBA.

Wedman? Damn, he played for the Kansas City Kings before they went to Sac. IIRC.

Played with Bill Robinzine when Dr. Dunkenstein broke the first backboard in the NBA.
You're thinking of Darryl Dawkins, "Chocolate Thunder". Man he was a load.

"Dr Dunkenstein" was Daryl Griffith.

Reactions: moug and LukaDuka
Andre Risen? Wasn't he the guy from Tecmo Bowl?

I'm aware, and he was much better than Harding.
Ok, you made me do it, as you knew I would.
Anybody that was an Iowa fan back at the start of 1997/98 season loved Dean Oliver and anyone that didn't wasn't a Hawkeye fan.
Dean played in all 31 games that season and started 29 of them.
As a freshmen his stats are not that far off from Brocks and if you don't believe me, here they are.
D.O. min 772, mpg 25.0,FG's 79-207 0.382%, 3PT,s 22-65 0.338%, FT's 88-114 0.772%, assists 140, TO 77, a 1.8 to 1 ratio A to TO, 274 PTs, 8.8 AVE.
Brock Harding in 34 games started 0.
B.H. min 368, mpg 10.8, FG's 42-116 0.362%, 3PT's 15-40 0.375%,
FT's 17-22 0.377%, assists 89, TO 25, a 3.4 to 1 ratio A to TO, 116PTs, 3.4 AVE.
Other then the need for Dean Oliver to start at point guard during the season of 1997/98. The percentages are fairly close, so as freshmen Dean Oliver wasn't that much better the Brock and Brock was by far a better distributor of ball then Dean.
We can argue until the end of time, but you just can't say Deano was that much better then Brock as freshmen, their stats back me up and yes I understand you have probably more knowledge about the past then I do, but I do have an eye for the game too and we probably have followed Iowa basketball for the same length of time since the mid 60's.

Last edited:
I did not play against him as I was still in elementary or middle school but he did play against my high school as we were both in the upper Iowa conference.
Have his autograph on the program from that game somewhere.
I’ve got so many stories from the top players in this era!

From Ricky Davis, Dean Oliver, Cary Cohorn (sp??), to camps with NBA players including Fred Hoiberg, Danny Manning, etc.

Nothing like being in the Perry Recreational Gymansium, with the curtain down to split the court during a Future Stars game.

I’m only 6’5. Had a 6’8 black dude & a 6’7 white dude on my team. We were playing Raef’s team.

Black dude got in foul trouble. White dude rolls his ankle. Next thing I know little me is guarding Raef.

Only about 7 people in our half of the gym.

My mom, dad, Tom Davis, Tim Floyd, & Roy Williams!

You can’t make this shit up!

Raef Just annihilated me (for the record).

And I was no chump. Went to UNI to walk on back in the Eldon Miller days.

Anyway, remind me sometime to tell you how Raef & I came full circle on my 21st bday.

That September after he was drafted no.3 that summer by the Denver Nuggets in 1998.

That story’s insane!!

Now I’m fired up & ready to hoop!!!!

Ok, you made me do it, as you knew I would.
Anybody that was an Iowa fan back at the start of 1997/98 season loved Dean Oliver and anyone that didn't wasn't a Hawkeye fan.
Dean played in all 31 games that season and started 29 of them.
As a freshmen his stats are not that far off from Brocks and if you don't believe me, here they are.
D.O. min 772, mpg 25.0,FG's 79-207 0.382%, 3PT,s 22-65 0.338%, FT's 88-114 0.772%, assists 140, TO 77, a 1.8 to 1 ratio A to TO, 274 PTs, 8.8 AVE.
Brock Harding in 34 games started 0.
B.H. min 368, mpg 10.8, FG's 42-116 0.362%, 3PT's 15-40 0.375%,
FT's 17-22 0.377%, assists 89, TO 25, a 3.4 to 1 ratio A to TO, 116PTs, 3.4 AVE.
Other then the need for Dean Oliver to start at point guard during the season of 1997/98. The percentages are fairly close, so as freshmen Dean Oliver wasn't that much better the Brock and Brock was by far a better distributor of ball then Dean.
We can argue until the end of time, but you just can't say Deano was that much better then Brock as freshmen, their stats back me up and yes I understand you have probably more knowledge about the past then I do, but I do have an eye for the game too and we probably have followed Iowa basketball for the same length of time since the mid 60's.
you have a poster of Brock on your bedroom ceiling, don't you?

Ah yes, the ol future stars camps. You knew when there was a collective gasp in the air, Ricky Davis just hammered a dunk somewhere in the complex

• Haha
Reactions: longliveCS40
I’ve got so many stories from the top players in this era!

From Ricky Davis, Dean Oliver, Cary Cohorn (sp??), to camps with NBA players including Fred Hoiberg, Danny Manning, etc.

Nothing like being in the Perry Recreational Gymansium, with the curtain down to split the court during a Future Stars game.

I’m only 6’5. Had a 6’8 black dude & a 6’7 white dude on my team. We were playing Raef’s team.

Black dude got in foul trouble. White dude rolls his ankle. Next thing I know little me is guarding Raef.

Only about 7 people in our half of the gym.

My mom, dad, Tom Davis, Tim Floyd, & Roy Williams!

You can’t make this shit up!

Raef Just annihilated me (for the record).

And I was no chump. Went to UNI to walk on back in the Eldon Miller days.

Anyway, remind me sometime to tell you how Raef & I came full circle on my 21st bday.

That September after he was drafted no.3 that summer by the Denver Nuggets in 1998.

That story’s insane!!

Now I’m fired up & ready to hoop!!!!
Raef was at the UNI basketball camp when I was there in middle school. He might have been going into his sophomore year at that point. What a player! 6'11" and athletic as all hell. One of the best players I've seen in person along with Ricky Davis.

Reactions: perryhawk
you have a poster of Brock on your bedroom ceiling, don't you?
Nice comeback! You had to get a four year degree to come up with that!
You say you don't hate Brock, which is your big LIE. Have a nice day with the knowledge that Brock will probably be the starting point guard for Iowa next year. He's white, small, and is damn good, whether you like it or not and he's only going to get better. Iowa men's basketball team is going to very good next season. Suck it, you just can't handle it can you?

Last edited:
Nice comeback! You had to get a four year degree to come up with that!
You say you don't hate Brock, which is your big LIE. Have a nice day with the knowledge that Brock will probably be the starting point guard for Iowa next year. He's white, small, and is damn good, whether you like it or not and he's only going to get better. Iowa men's basketball team is going to very good next season. Suck it, you just can't handle it can you?
just love pulling your chain, so easy to trigger. He could be a star at St. Ambrose, maybe even lead them to a berth in the NAIA national tourney.

just love pulling your chain, so easy to trigger. He could be a star at St. Ambrose, maybe even lead them to a berth in the NAIA national tourney.
See, I'm not the only one that sees that every time you type a reply that you're just trying to pull my trigger or there has to be a voice from the other side, it just shows you that not only do you hate Brock, but you really don't care about Iowa basketball either.
You try to come off as a concerned Hawkeye fan that wishes Fran to be gone and that Iowa's roster is mid-major. Granted this years team had major issues with rebounding and playing defense by some of the players, but they rebounded by the end of the season to finish at five hundred in the Big Ten.
Really bad teams don't have the ability to do that, no matter how bad you think the Big Ten was.
This year was always going to be a rebuilding year, you don't lose 2 All Americans to the NBA and bring in 4 freshmen and 2 portal players, 1 that can't play defense and the other that played the minutes of a walk-on and was a foul machine when he did play. Before the season even started most on here gave Iowa little chance to finish at five hundred in the Big Ten let alone have a chance to get a bid to play in the NCAA tournament, but they did make is interesting at the end, but that wasn't enough for some of you.
So when it became apparent that Iowa was no longer going to make the NCAA tournament, all you lame so called Hawkeye fans come on here and spewed your hatred for Fran, calling for his head, because he hasn't fulfill your dreams of Iowa ever making the sweat 16 or beyond. Boo Hoo! What a bunch of p**sy's.
Great Iowa fans, right!
And for you LukaDuka, you're no longer worth the time and effort to continue this banter back and forth. It's apparent you care little about Iowa basketball.
As Fran has said before, every time he went to watch Brock play he was the best player on the floor. I'll take his word over yours any day and really that is all that matters.

Last edited:
Had a pretty rocky love life... got his house burned down by a rapper beatch.
Left eye

Left Eye Dancing GIF

Reactions: BonzoFury
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT