ADVERTISEMENT

So I'm still chugging along with my original fantasy novel

fezzador

HR All-American
Sep 12, 2006
Some of you may remember that I posted a thread about six months ago about writing an original fantasy/adventure novel that's in a similar vein as Narnia, Harry Potter, and shoot even Dungeons and Dragons if you look hard enough. It's about a twelve year old girl named Grace from Dubuque, Iowa that somehow opens a rift to another world... and in that world, she's the prophesied Chosen One, destined to end a series of plagues.

I've done some moderate revisions of my first couple of chapters, and I just finished the seventh chapter late last night and as of my lunch break today, I have about 1/5th of the eighth chapter done. I'm not quite at the halfway point of the book (guesstimating 15-20 chapters in total, and about 275-300 pg) but for me at least, it's getting a bit easier for me to write (the 2nd-4th chapters were the toughest so far). My goal is to have it published by the end of the year (yes, I'm willing to pay handsomely out of my own pocket to do it) and right now, I think I'm on track to do that (I'm hoping to have it completely written by the end of the summer, and probably 2-3 months to revise before publishing).

If anyone's interested in reading 40% of a book (or less, if they don't want to read ~120 pages), here's a link that will be up for a little while at least.

Anyway, I guess asking random folks to read 100+ pages out of the goodness of their heart and get some honest (both + and -) feedback might be a bit much... but I can try and sweeten the pot a bit - when the book gets published, I can provide a complimentary signed copy for any who are interested, even though my John Hancock might be worth less than the ink that I'll use to write it.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Read it and seems like a good book for kids around the same age as your character. I don't think as written it will have the crossover appeal of Harry Potter with adult fans.

Best of luck

Reactions: fezzador
Read it and seems like a good book for kids around the same age as your character. I don't think as written it will have the crossover appeal of Harry Potter with adult fans.

Best of luck
Yeah, I don't expect it to be the next coming of HP or anything like that. Target audience is probably 10-18, though I'm sure a few older than that might be interested.

Some of you may remember that I posted a thread about six months ago about writing an original fantasy/adventure novel that's in a similar vein as Narnia, Harry Potter, and shoot even Dungeons and Dragons if you look hard enough. It's about a twelve year old girl named Grace from Dubuque, Iowa that somehow opens a rift to another world... and in that world, she's the prophesied Chosen One, destined to end a series of plagues.

I've done some moderate revisions of my first couple of chapters, and I just finished the seventh chapter late last night and as of my lunch break today, I have about 1/5th of the eighth chapter done. I'm not quite at the halfway point of the book (guesstimating 15-20 chapters in total, and about 275-300 pg) but for me at least, it's getting a bit easier for me to write (the 2nd-4th chapters were the toughest so far). My goal is to have it published by the end of the year (yes, I'm willing to pay handsomely out of my own pocket to do it) and right now, I think I'm on track to do that (I'm hoping to have it completely written by the end of the summer, and probably 2-3 months to revise before publishing).

If anyone's interested in reading 40% of a book (or less, if they don't want to read ~120 pages), here's a link that will be up for a little while at least.
nerds GIF

Yeah, I don't expect it to be the next coming of HP or anything like that. Target audience is probably 10-18, though I'm sure a few older than that might be interested.
I have my 10 year old daughter and avid young fantasy reader, looking at it now.

Reactions: fezzador
I have my 10 year old daughter and avid young fantasy reader, looking at it now.
Awesome. Grace is based on my own daughter, who likes fantasy herself (namely Harry Potter).

Note - when you get to Chapter 5, the character Anastasia (Ana) is pronounced Ana-stay-zee-uh (British style, asI envision her and many Calipheans speaking Received Pronunciation-style English). That might confuse domestic readers, but I'm also not writing exclusively for an American audience.

Awesome. Grace is based on my own daughter, who likes fantasy herself (namely Harry Potter).

Note - when you get to Chapter 5, the character Anastasia (Ana) is pronounced Ana-stay-zee-uh (British style, asI envision her and many Calipheans speaking Received Pronunciation-style English). That might confuse domestic readers, but I'm also not writing exclusively for an American audience.
Does it matter? If so, you should probably make that clear when the character is introduced. JMO

edit: I’m not trying to be a dick, that’s my honest opinion.

Anyway, I guess asking random folks to read 100+ pages out of the goodness of their heart and get some honest (both + and -) feedback might be a bit much... but I can try and sweeten the pot a bit - when the book gets published, I can provide a complimentary signed copy for any who are interested, even though my John Hancock might be worth less than the ink that I'll use to write it.
Do you have a publisher or do you have to shop it when you are done?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT